iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold starting M-Tronic saws

Started by zoltar, November 23, 2017, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoltar

A couple of weeks ago, when I first got my MS-261 C-M, I first tried to start it exactly as instructed by the manual (and Stihl's YouTube videos). This is basically what Stihl wants us to do when cold starting the saw:

• press down the throttle trigger
  • put the control lever in the start position "▲"
  • release the throttle trigger (it's now locked in full throttle position, because the control lever is set to "▲")
  • pull the cord until it starts
  • quickly press the throttle; the control lever will automatically flip back to the normal run position "I", and the saw should idle
  • repeat all of the above steps until the saw is idling normally
This didn't work at all on my saw. I think the saw was badly flooded after going through these steps a bunch of times, and it was a real pain to start it afterwards. Since then, I've never put the control lever in the "▲" position, I just start it directly from normal run mode ("I"), even when cold. I've never had to pull more than 4-5 times to get it started this way, which is good I guess, but I am disappointed that the start mode doesn't work as claimed by Stihl.

Based on the manual's description of the start mode, it sounds like it should be foolproof thanks to the M-Tronic technology. Based on my experience, it should be treated like a choke switch on any old saw with a non-electronic carburetor (once the engine fires, continue pulling without the choke). If I'm wrong, and that the start mode is supposed to be more user friendly than a normal choke, I would be very interested in tips on how (and when) to use the start mode on these saws. For the time being, I will not try the start mode unless I fail to start the saw after a dozen or so pulls.

Gearbox

Now I have a question . What happens when you run a m tronic saw out of fuel ? I happens to all of us once in a while .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

trapper

I run my 241cm out of gas regularly with no problems restarting.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Gearbox

A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Jesper Jepsen

Having a 661 and a 362 both M-tronic I must say it take a little time to learn how to start them right.
Both my saws starts with max 3 pulls at the cord. The big 661 from cold I set the choke in start position push the decompression valve down and pull 2 times max if it's not startet i set the choke to normal an pull once more and it mostly starts. The smaller 362 I do the same.
If it happens that I flod the 661 ( haven't done it on the 362) I leave it for 10-20 minutes before trying again if first flooded it's impossible to get going before it ventet.

Gearbox

Just a quick note on flooded saws . I have done this for years . Set the saw with the exhaust down then pull over to crank the flood out of it . Don't be a wimp just befor your arm falls off it will start . 

weimedog

M-tronics must be similar to Autotunes. We got 4 550's at highway a few years back. The guys couldn't get them to start often enough they went back and rebuilt a bunch of 357's....so what was the issue?? Early Autotunes were adding enough fuel along with the choke on the "start" cycle that they would flood the things...and the guys would keep yanking waiting for a "pop" to turn off the chokes. Later firm ware updates and a learning curve fixed that for most, but there are a couple who just couldn't get over the first experiences and hate the things. NOW those saws are as easy to start as anything. Of course there are always statistical anomalies..which is why companies have a warranty program. MY bet is Stihl will see some of the same things...and as time goes on assuming you can get firmware updates they work those things out of the saws as Husqvarna has for the most part..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!