iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody drill holes for split rail fence Post

Started by just_sawing, November 23, 2017, 08:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

We have a split rail operation but many people ask for the Western cedar type fences that the box stores provide. We use only Eastern Red Cedar but was wondering if anyone had a drill setup for the post?
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

moodnacreek

No but
I have seen a big old drill press rigged to a foot treadle with some type of V block on the table.  IT used a large  fostner type bit to drill 2 holes side by side. 
have never seen the oval hole drilled 1 shot.                                         

WV Sawmiller

Just,

I bought a Tenon cutter and make mortise and tenon benches from 2" thick slabs for tops and 2.5" to 3" square or round stock for legs. My Lumberjack cutter cuts a 1-1/2" diameter peg that is 3" long with a 60 degree shoulder. I see tenon cutters up to 3- 3.5 inches are available. I clamp my bench legs into a simple vice, trim off some excess, if needed, with a draw knife and shape the tenon on the end with the cutter using a 1/2" drill. Since cedar is a soft wood I would think it would lend itself to making tenons on the ends of the rails in a similar fashion then just bore an appropriate mortise in the post with a hole saw, auger or such.

Never tried it but just a thought - remember free advice is worth what you paid for it.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

TKehl

Chain mortiser was my first thought to.

Depends on how many you plan to do.  A milling machine with say an 1.5" endmill should make a mean slot pretty fast in ERC.

If you install the posts first, Stihl makes a gas powered drill. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

plasticweld

I had mine built, it does either three holes or two at a time  I can do about 25 posts with three holes in an hour.  It cost me about $5000 to have built.  It is basically a drill press with three hydraulic motors that are synced together with a large table with adjustable rails for different size posts.

Thank You Sponsors!