iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are low price new chainsaws any good and will it survive if it drops into river!

Started by startinghandle, November 23, 2017, 06:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

startinghandle

i have been looking online at low price new chainsaws and I was thinking are they any good or do you get what you pay for I would like to say that I was only looking and I have no intention of buying as  my Stihl 038 which my late father bought 30 years ago
what I write now is all truth and that is the first time the new saw was used was to cut up a tree that had blown over from the river bank into the river during strong winds and I was standing in river cutting through tree and as I finished cutting the tree fell into river taking chainsaw with it  so I thought that was the end of our new saw but after a few pulls it started

Ada Shaker

Anyone's guess really whether the saw will last but if it sunk you may have water in the crank case. Maybe turning it upside down or on it's side with the saw running might help expel some of the water if there is any in there.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

johnny newburgh

Clean it out and put it where everything will dry out. Empty fuel tank  take off carburetor and clean, blow out with air gun. Remove air filter clean and dry. take bar off clean and dry everything  if you have air gun blow everything dry. Think you should be ok. good luck!

starmac

Sounds to me like it started right back up around 30 years ago, and has been running fine since, no need to clean it out now.

I have an idea most 2 strokes would survive, unless they were wound up when submerged. I had an old 35 horse Chrysler boat motor that was sunk several times, for several days at a time. I would hook a winch line on the boat, pull it out on the bank and pull the plugs, turn it over a few times, put the plugs back in and fire her up and go fishing.

I bought a chevy pickup once after we pulled it out of 30 feet of water in ute lake, it had been there 7 days by then. There was not a speck of oil in anything, and everything had frozen by the time I got it back to the shop to warm it up. I drained the water out of motor, tranny, diffs and pulled all the wheel bearings. The only things I had to replace was the gas tank, it had bulged from the ice, the circuit board dash went pretty quick after I put it back on the road and the seat didn't ever dry out as far as I know, but all in all it made a good rig. Oh yea, when I drained the water out of the motor and tranny, I filled both with diesel, till it run out the top and left it for a couple of days.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

startinghandle

I did not make it clear that it was 30 years the new chainsaw fell in river and was totally submerged and it started up with a few pulls of the chord and has been good ever since

TKehl

Interesting quality trial.  Don't think I'll volunteer any of my saws for testing.   ;)

Maybe Wrangler Star would when he is done destroying cordless drills with his Milwaukee.**   :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aYmjZIUa8o

I think the newer electronic saws could have issues.  (M-Tronic etc.)  However the cheaper Stihls would probably fair just as well assuming the plastic parts didn't bust.**

**(This said as both a Stihl and DeWalt devotee.)   :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!