iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID

Started by EricHanley, November 22, 2017, 10:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricHanley

My neighbor has a down tree and I want to make a workbench. What kind of tree is this and is it suitable for a workbench?

rjwoelk

Welcome to the form.
Hard to tell perhaps the fellows from downunder can see it rightside up. :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

ToddsPoint

Looks like it might be silver maple.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

I think ToddsPoint hit the nail on the head.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

BigBurOak

Either Silver or Red Maple, both of which are commonly referred to as soft maple;(700lb and 950lb Janka hardness respectively). It should be fine to use as a work bench, considering that Black Cherry has the same hardness as Red Maple :laugh: Even Silver Maple I would use, although to tell the truth I wood use almost any wood besides Balsa :D
Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

Ron Scott

Yes, to silver maple.
~Ron

low_48

8/4 soft maple is really reasonable. You could buy some and build tomorrow. It will take months to get that log into useable lumber if you are building a workbench to make furniture on. If you are just building something to work on your lawn mower in the garage, then you can go for it. Looks like silver maple to me, and it's not nearly as hard as cherry. Looks like rot in the center of the butt flare too.

Thank You Sponsors!