iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tajfun winch choices

Started by M3M, November 22, 2017, 07:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3M

I am ready to purchase a winch and have decided on the Tajfun. I have narrowed it down to two choices, the Tajfun EGV45 A ($4300 + -) or the EGV45 AHK ( $7600 +-)
The difference is one is traditional pto, the other is hydraulic, AND  the price.

Does anyone have experience with the Tajfun? The Tajfun hydraulic with remote?

Not much information on these models, please share any opinions or first hand experience with either one.

thecfarm

M3M,welcome to the forum.
Just a couple questions,how much will this winch be in use,full time logging or just for your own use?
Got money you don't know what to do with?  :D  At another $3300 that's quite the price jump,but be nice to have.
I have a Norse winch,I could use a remote with that. But the cost is a hard one. The only time I really could of used it when I was cutting the bog off. I had 2 extensions that I would hook and unhook. That remote could of saved me many steps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

M3M

thecfarm, Thank you for the welcome.

This will be a purchase for my personal use. I have about 200 acres of land and enjoy working in the woods for my own firewood, food plots, and overall improvement of the forest.
My hope is to stay healthy for retirement and continue to use the winch as a hobby, selling a small amount of firewood.
Unfortunately I do not have an extra $3300 just lying around, and this may be the deciding factor. But considering this will hopefully last me the rest of my life I want to make sure I do it right the first time. 

thecfarm

I have 170 acres that I play on. The walking back to the winch will keep you young too.  ;D
This is a thread from a few days ago.  winch post
Reply #1 I posted about making short chains and adding more slides and #15 was safety.
I would like to know what kind of tractor you have and hp.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wesdor

M3M welcome to the forum. I have a Wallenstein but a friend has the Tajfun and is happy with it. 
My winch is PTO and has served me well for several years. Not sure why hydraulic would be more desirable but understand why it is more expensive.

Not my money to spend, but I think I would save the $3300 and go PTO.

Whatever you purchase stay safe.

mike_belben

PTO is much more efficient than hydraulic in terms of fuel per feet of line pulled.  Probably 98% efficient vs maybe 75 or 80% which will drop with age.
Praise The Lord

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I am well pleased with my older PTO Tajfun winch, but then it is the only one that I have ever operated.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

I have owned the Tajfun EG35 winch for 5 years.Pto winch on a 45 hp.Kubota.It is a fine piece of equipment.They are more expensive than the Igland and the Norse.
I have had zero problems with mine,the hyd.with remote would be nice but I can't justify the cost for what I do.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

teakwood

To have a remote for you winch is just priceless, it saves you so much time and effort.
Have been kicking the idea around to ad a remote system to my old Deere 540A, i'm not sure if this would be possible though.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

An RC linear actuator to move the handle from engage to disengage should be possible.  If its hydrauilic you could probably use a solenoid hydraulic valve and have an RC linear actuator toggle a rocker switch to control it.  You could apply an actuator direct to a spool but i wouldnt want to not have a manual lever, and i bet an actuator with that much force is pricey.  I dont know RC stuff anymore but the excavators on youtube use a lot of screwjack style rotary actuators for cylinders and bevel gears to drive the tracks.  So lots of DC motored options.  My kid likes watching those vids on my phone!
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Oh i forgot.. Harbor freight $60 atv winches come with key fob remote control 12vDC solid state reversing contactor. 

If your winch is hydraulic power in and out with a manual freewheel, then the hazard fraught remote could power a 12vDC 2 way solenoid stack valve and a rocker switch in the cab could control it from within.
Praise The Lord

M3M

Quote from: thecfarm on November 22, 2017, 08:23:46 PM

I would like to know what kind of tractor you have and hp.

I have a John Deere 3520 cab tractor, engine 37hp

47sawdust

The 45 might be too much winch for your tractor.I've certainly never wanted for more pulling power than the 35.I paid $3300.00 which is a grand cheaper than the 45,you'd have money left over for a snatch block pulley and a new chainsaw.
I bought mine from OESCO in Mass.Howard is the man to talk to about Tajfun products.He is friendly and knowledgeable.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

I see you just updated your profile. Check out Norse winch from Labonville. I like the pivoting butt plate and the high pulley on the 450. But that is a little too big for your tractor. I think the 350 would be a better match. The top pulley is around 60 inches high.
I think alittle over $3000 will get it on the back of your tractor too.

Ed_K

Hi M3M, I feel you would be better off with the 40 EGV A. The 45 is a little over powered for your 35 hp. I have the 40 and have used it for commercial logging for over 10 yrs. In that time the spring that releases the brake wore out, Howard had one in stock. I have been real happy with it on my 60 hp Landini. There have been times when I wished it was hydraulic like when you have to walk back to the butt to untangle from a stump. A good quick release pulley usually takes the steps out of hills
Ed K

lopet

Quote from: teakwood on November 23, 2017, 07:16:54 AM
Have been kicking the idea around to ad a remote system to my old Deere 540A, i'm not sure if this would be possible though.

I think it's doable , but don't ask me. There was a guy up north from me who converted his winch on a older Clark skidder.
He made it on the front page of a local magazine, but that's a few years ago and I don't know any details.
Sure don't wanna miss mine.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

teakwood

I think it's not that hard but pretty expensive. i can get the whole system in europe for 2000-2500 (good quality)

http://www.forstseilwinde.ch/
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

M3M

Those of you who think the 45 may be too large, could you explain?

I have never used a winch and only seen one used once.

My thoughts are the John Deere 3520 claims 37hp engine and 30hp pto.
the 35 needs 15-35hp
the 45 needs 20-50hp.

Am I wrong thinking I should have the 45? If so why?

thecfarm

What is weight of the 35? And the weight of the 45? That's how much loading weight you will lose. Thier might be some pulling diffeance from the 35 to the 45,but nothing you will notice. Maybe if you was pulling out 3 foot wood steady.
We have been around this stuff. Ask that salesman how much wood he twitches out with his tractor. Most times I feel bigger is better,but not in this case.

drlewis

I HAVE A TAJFUN 45A FOR ABOUT FIVE YEARS NOW .WORKS GREAT HAS FIVE CHAINS PULLS ANYTHING I HOOK UP,ITS ON A 1394 CASE 4X4 I ONLY CUT FIREWOOD WITH IT AND ALSO PULL WITH C4

Ed_K

The only reason I mentioned the 40 EVG-a is that even with a 60 hp tractor with a grapple hanging off a front bucket loader, I can lift the front of the tractor off the ground. if you were to winch in a log at an angle to the tractor you can tip it over real quick. With a remote setup this could happen even faster if your down over hill.
Ed K

brandonward6

45 has been a good machine for me..after having it i dont know how i did it without it...would spend the money on it again in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!