iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills HM130 vs Woodmizer LT15

Started by randy_atx, November 22, 2017, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy_atx

Greetings - first time poster here. 

I've been milling with a Sthil MS661 with a 36" bar and Alaskan Mill for a few years.  I am finally at a point where I am considering moving up to a bandsaw mill.  I've been researching the HM130 ($3,999) and now looking at the LT15 (currently on sale for $6,999).  I am trying to justify why I should spend $3,000 more for the LT15.  The HM130 states it will handle a 30" diameter log, but a maximum board of 7" deep by 22" wide.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find the maximum output board size the LT15 will generate.  I have not yet called Woodmizer.  Is the Woodmizer worth $3k more?

I would mainly be cutting some large Post Oak I have access to - some of which is around 30" diameter.  There will also be a  mix of Pecan, Cedar, Hickory.  I'll be cutting 4/4 boards but also a lot of slabs.  Since some of these logs would be too wide to slab I am thinking of taking off the boards up to 22" and then slabbing with the Alaskan and then back to the mill. 

Thanks,

Randy

Stihl 661 CM with 36" bar, Alaskan MK III

Crossroads

Of the two manufacturer options, I've only dealt with WM and have no complaints.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

firefighter ontheside

My 2005 LT15 will cut a board about 26" wide.  I think the new ones will cut a little wider.  I don't know what the maximum depth of cut is.  I'll have to measure.  I think the woodland one is telling you you can put the 30" log on and then cut a 22" wide piece off the top.  Then you'll have to turn it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I think WM could mean woodmizer or woodland mills.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

starmac

What is the specs for the LT15 wide?
There is also the resale value to consider, just something else to think about.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

My WM manual says LT 15 regular cuts 23" and LT15 wide wide 36". Base price in my catalog for wide is $9,995 with 25 hp gas engine. Not sure what the Woodland mills engine is.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

Woodland engine is 14hp on the HM130.

A lot of what yer pay'in on a mizer is to buy their name--- kinda like buy'in a Cat--- 20 grand more than a Deere.

starmac

Ah, but you get to sell their name when you are done with it. The same with cat and deere. You could say the same about deere and pretty much any other big farm equipment, but the truth is deere has the competition beat in other ways too. There used to be a world of difference besides price between cat and deere construction equipment, not enough experience with the newer stuff to say.

sawmilljoe

Woodlands makes a great product. So does woodmizer but it is hard to spend that much extra you could get the hm130 and trailer package and still have money to spare. I have had my hm126 for 3 years and would buy another if  I had to do it over.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goku78

I have a Woodland Mills HM130 and have no complaints.  I don't think you will be disappointed with a Woodmizer though. If you are looking for a value mill, Woodmaxx has a  mill like the HM126 with longer track and more features. 
HM130

Magicman

You are comparing the Woodland Mills HM 130 with a Wood-Mizer LT15 when I would think that you should be comparing it with the Wood-Mizer LT10 or the Timbery which by the way is a USA manufactured sawmill and a branch of Wood-Mizer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Is there unlimited track extensions available to fit the hm 130?

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: starmac on November 22, 2017, 09:54:01 PM
Is there unlimited track extensions available to fit the hm 130?
Yes, you can add 6' track sections all the way top the property line.
Woodland Mills HM130

randy_atx

Thanks for the feedback so far - i've learned a few things.  I guess I didn't compare the LT10 to the HM130 as the LT10 has a 10hp motor and a smaller finished board of 19.5".   The LT15 does have a bit more HP than the HM130 but it they are close (15HP vs 14HP) so I feel that is a closer apples-to-apples comparison, more so than comparing 10hp to 14hp. Also the finised board size is pretty close (LT15 23" wide board vs HM130 22" wide board). I hadn't heard of the Timbery brand that magicman pointed out, so I will take a look later today.

Both models can have track extensions added to them, but I believe only the LT15 can have additional accessories added to it.  Not sure yet what the shipping is on the LT15 but the shipping on the HM130 is around $350.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Randy

GAB

Randy:
In your evaluation matrix add frame rigidity.
As you saw if the frame moves it could affect the outcome of the finished product.
Before doing much you should try and meet owners of both and see their mills in operation, and ask lots of questions.
You may like the ergonomics of one more than the other.
GAB
PS by the way welcome to the FF.
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

randy_atx

Quote from: GAB on November 23, 2017, 08:41:47 AM
Randy:
In your evaluation matrix add frame rigidity.
As you saw if the frame moves it could affect the outcome of the finished product.
Before doing much you should try and meet owners of both and see their mills in operation, and ask lots of questions.
You may like the ergonomics of one more than the other.
GAB
PS by the way welcome to the FF.

Good point re: frame, GAB.  Another difference I have noticed - with the HM130 one needs to push the powerhead.  The LT15 has a walk-behind crank which I assume (having never used a manual bandsaw mill) makes it a bit easier.

DanMc

I have the HM126 and am happy with it.   Anyway, I don't get the crank thing on the LT15.  I like the push approach and think that after a day of cranking your arm will be quite sore.  Id have to try the crank to see if I like it. On the other hand, it sure would be easier to add power feed to it.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

pineywoods

I see you will be sawing pecan and hickory. You will need all the hp you can get. I have 25 hp and saw some big hickory, need more hp..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dakota

Big logs, hardwood, and manual mill, equals a lot of work turning those logs.  Have you thought about a swing mill?  Might be a good thing to consider.
Dave Rinker

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF randy_atx

lots to consider and Dakota makes a good point,

I suggest you test drive as many mills as you can
and do not shy away from a used unit, https://www.sawmillexchange.com

D

Treehack

Not to complicate things for you, but strictly from a capacity standpoint, my TK 1220 will take a 33" log, cuts 28" between guides, and 16" throat depth.  It would be comparable in price to the LT15, although the sale price on the 15 brings it lower.  Maybe if you call TK, they will make you a "Black Friday" deal :D.  No matter what way you go, any of the sponsor companies will give you a fine machine and great service.  You have already made the most important decision, to make sawdust.  Good luck with your decision and happy milling.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Skipper11A

I had to make the same decision this year and I bought the EZ Boardwalk 40" and couldn't be happier.  It is the best value out there and when you add the trailer/log turner package it puts it in a class by itself (you have to look at a Thomas mill for a good comparison).  So, for $8,150 I have a 40" mill with trailer package and log turner (You need a log turner for those big logs!)  I would NOT recommend buying their Timberwolf blades because they only make blades with a 10 degree tooth angle and this will NOT cut straight in Post Oaks.  For very hard to cut woods like Post Oaks (White oaks) you need blades with at least a 6 degree tooth angle or you will have nothing but wavy slabs.  I was able to regrind my Timberwolf blades to 6 degrees with the blade sharpener with diamond wheel I purchased from EZ Boardwalk (also recommended).  The EZ Boardwalk has so many unadvertised  features that I can't find a mill in any price range that would be an upgrade to the EZ Boardwalk (Maybe the big Thomas Mill). 

Mcgeezer

I'm currently shopping for a mill and plan on sawing come early spring, and have the same questions as yourself.

Right now I have my heart set on the Woodland Mills HM 130 Trekker XL (delivered for around $7,000CDN).  It looks like a great portable mill and isn't too heavy to pull.  If I lived int he USA I would strongly consider the EZ Boardwalk 40 as others have mentioned due to the wide-throat and large log capacity.
I find the value in the Woodland Mills products to be quite good for a small-timer like myself. (30" capacity, 14hp, 22" boards, great reviews/customer service)

If business picks up however and I need an upgrade, without question i would buy the Wood Mizer LT15 Wide. (closer t0 $13,000CDN)

Jas24

Hi guys newby here wondering if any one has picked up a WoodMaxx 126 and how it’s working for them. I’m looking to upgrade from chainsaw lumber and move into a mill to saw up some red pine in northern Wisconsin. I have been ready to pull the trigger on a woodland 126 until I stumbled on the WoodMaxx 126 looked at Woodmizer lt15 but really can’t make my way into that $ range any feed back would be great.

Thank You Sponsors!