The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Woodland Mills HM130 vs Woodmizer LT15  (Read 988 times)

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
Re: Woodland Mills HM130 vs Woodmizer LT15
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 10:47:01 am »
Welcome to the FF randy_atx

lots to consider and Dakota makes a good point,

I suggest you test drive as many mills as you can
and do not shy away from a used unit, https://www.sawmillexchange.com

D

Offline Treehack

• So many logs...So little time
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »
Not to complicate things for you, but strictly from a capacity standpoint, my TK 1220 will take a 33" log, cuts 28" between guides, and 16" throat depth.  It would be comparable in price to the LT15, although the sale price on the 15 brings it lower.  Maybe if you call TK, they will make you a "Black Friday" deal :D.  No matter what way you go, any of the sponsor companies will give you a fine machine and great service.  You have already made the most important decision, to make sawdust.  Good luck with your decision and happy milling.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Online Skipper11A

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:21 am »
I had to make the same decision this year and I bought the EZ Boardwalk 40" and couldn't be happier.  It is the best value out there and when you add the trailer/log turner package it puts it in a class by itself (you have to look at a Thomas mill for a good comparison).  So, for $8,150 I have a 40" mill with trailer package and log turner (You need a log turner for those big logs!)  I would NOT recommend buying their Timberwolf blades because they only make blades with a 10 degree tooth angle and this will NOT cut straight in Post Oaks.  For very hard to cut woods like Post Oaks (White oaks) you need blades with at least a 6 degree tooth angle or you will have nothing but wavy slabs.  I was able to regrind my Timberwolf blades to 6 degrees with the blade sharpener with diamond wheel I purchased from EZ Boardwalk (also recommended).  The EZ Boardwalk has so many unadvertised  features that I can't find a mill in any price range that would be an upgrade to the EZ Boardwalk (Maybe the big Thomas Mill). 

Offline Mcgeezer

• LOVE the WOODS
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 12:17:10 pm »
I'm currently shopping for a mill and plan on sawing come early spring, and have the same questions as yourself.

Right now I have my heart set on the Woodland Mills HM 130 Trekker XL (delivered for around $7,000CDN).  It looks like a great portable mill and isn't too heavy to pull.  If I lived int he USA I would strongly consider the EZ Boardwalk 40 as others have mentioned due to the wide-throat and large log capacity.
I find the value in the Woodland Mills products to be quite good for a small-timer like myself. (30" capacity, 14hp, 22" boards, great reviews/customer service)

If business picks up however and I need an upgrade, without question i would buy the Wood Mizer LT15 Wide. (closer t0 $13,000CDN)

Offline Jas24

• Member*
  • I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 11:06:05 pm »
Hi guys newby here wondering if any one has picked up a WoodMaxx 126 and how it’s working for them. I’m looking to upgrade from chainsaw lumber and move into a mill to saw up some red pine in northern Wisconsin. I have been ready to pull the trigger on a woodland 126 until I stumbled on the WoodMaxx 126 looked at Woodmizer lt15 but really can’t make my way into that $ range any feed back would be great.