iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hemlock question

Started by runmca, November 20, 2017, 09:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmca

We have a mature hemlock that has been living next to a similar sized maple. We removed the maple and now we have a half bare hemlock. Now that it has more space and light, any chance it will fill in? The bare half has what looks to be dead limbs.

Stuart Caruk

I've got a chunk of property that is like this. It was unmanaged for years and the Maples shot up to 140' or so to match the Doug Fir and Hemlock. Most of the Maples were dead at the top. Some I topped at 40' or so, and oddly they all lived an have branched out just fine. The Fir and Hemlock are doing much better now as well, but all the growth is at or near the tops. Nothing has regrown in the understory.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Blue Noser

It is unlikely that they will fill in. While this happens to hardwood trees, the same can't be be said about softwoods (to my knowledge).

thecfarm

I would say no.  Than there is also a chance that hemlock might even get sun burned. The maple was shading it and now it's out in the open.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

No.  But, the new growth from the top will spread out, but only the new height growth.  Hemlock does not have epicormic (adventicious) buds in the bark like hardwood, so there will be no new sprouts from the section of the trunk with the dead limbs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

runmca

Thanks everyone. I'm considering planting a conifer (white/red pine) nearby to fill in, is this a good idea? If so, any thoughts on distance away from the hemlock? I'm guessing the hemlock is around 50' tall.

BigBurOak

Plant it as close as you like but keep in mind the mature size of your tree. As your conifer grows it will most likely fill in that spot but if you lose either tree you will have the same problem again. ::)
Who needs a gym if you got a woodpile?

Thank You Sponsors!