iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It was going to be firewood but...

Started by kelLOGg, November 20, 2017, 07:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I decided to see what it would be like as lumber.

I picked up a 14' white oak log with diameter of about 28". The bottom half was clear then the knots began - 12 of them and big, too - some a foot in diameter. It cut surprising straight so I cut 19" wide boards 1.5" thick. I stickered them on my drying rack and bolted them down with 4' long "bolts" made from rebar and all-thread. I assume the knots will crack but the boards should dry straight or bend the railroad iron they are bolted to. What should I expect from this overdone endeavor?
Firewood after all?
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WLC

Nothing to add on the viability of the lumber with big knots other than time will tell. Do have a question though.  Is it a good idea to completely cover that stack up like that to air dry it?
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

kelLOGg

It is breathable wrapping around the edges. Keeps the sun off and lets some air through. The stack is drying; after 5 days I had to tighten the bolts.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Some customers like knots and rustic. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DDW_OR

did you seal both ends of the boards to reduce checking?
"let the machines do the work"

kelLOGg

I did not seal ends. We'll see how much i regret it.

woodworker9

Quote from: WDH on November 21, 2017, 07:27:21 AM
Some customers like knots and rustic.

Here, here!!  95% of my current customers want wood with "character", and there's plenty of that drying in my shed! :D
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

WDH

Whenever I don't seal the end of logs, I come to regret it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

starmac

Does all wood need sealed? The reason I ask is I have not sealed anything and in the spruce I have milled the trim has so far been enough to remove any checking.

The large sawmill here seals nothing and they sometimes have as much as 3 years worth of logs on their lot.

The next largest mill, 150 miles away seals nothing either, but their logs do not lay around long either.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WLC

Starmac I think needing to seal the ends has more to do with the particular species of wood than anything.  I don't seal anything either.  Birch will split a little, but I always cut over length by a foot if its for something that needs to be a certain length.  I'm mostly cutting for flooring for a future house and any defect will be cut out anyway so I haven't worried about it. I've not had any problems with spruce splitting on me...so far.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Ianab

Softwoods are not as prone to end splitting, so most people don't bother with sealing.

But with some hardwoods it will reduce the end checking, which might loose you 6" off each end of your boards, especially the widest and most valuable ones. Only getting 7ft of good wood from an 8ft log doesn't help the economics of your operation.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

starmac

I cut my 8 footers between 8 1/2 and 9 foot. I don't recall cutting any boards over 12 in wide, but don't think I have lost any to checking.
I eventually intend to cut some birch, and even aspen, may be a different story with it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!