iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 1010

Started by Airgrower, November 20, 2017, 03:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airgrower

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of a Timberjack 1010 6 wheel forwarder?  Mainly the transmission and gear ratios. Looking at doing a custom build.  I don't want to kill the rear end on the machine I will be mating the back of 1010 to.

snowstorm

Pulpwood mafia

It is hydrostatic with a transfer case with a Hi Low shift. What's wrong with the front half.

Airgrower

I am looking at purchasing the back half off of a machine.  Front half doesn't come. I am trying to learn if I can mount the back half to a 2003 548 G3. I don't want to mess the transmission up in the skidder. I need a LGP machine that can apply fertilizer   Not many choices for the woods. Hoping I can custom build one.

barbender

I think it would be way easier to just get a forwarder that has both ends. I'm sure with enough time and money you could mate the 548 up, if the gearing is wrong, I'm not sure how you would match that up. Different gears in the 1010 diff?
Too many irons in the fire

Airgrower

Most forwarders are too tall and have really exposed cabs. We may move the machine up to 5 times a day and I don't want to deal with being 15 feet tall.  Deere 548 is still relatively easy to get parts for throughout the SE. The tigercat 615 skidder is close to what I need. Just trying to avoid spending $300k.

lopet

Quote from: Airgrower on November 21, 2017, 06:55:20 AM
We may move the machine up to 5 times a day

You mean moving it from job site to job site ?  :o :o  Are you from Europe ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

1270d

Have you ever seen a fabtek or cat forwarder?  They're virtually the same cab set up as a skidder.   Just buy a forwarder and take the crane off.   Ive a fabtek I'd sell you.  Then the height will be the same or lower than a skidder.    One of our ponsse forwarders used to be a spray rig.

Maine logger88

1270 wasn't the 546 fabtec a 540g deer front half?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Airgrower

When one machine will cover up to 150 acres per day it isn't uncommon to move several times. We do small 10 acre tracts and tracts up to 1000 acres. The fabtek concerns me about parts. The cat 564 looks the size of what would work. Both options exceed the $15k forwarder back end. The price is a moot point if I can't figure out matching gear ratios.

mike_belben

Could a 6x6 military truck do the job?  With AG tires perhaps?
Praise The Lord

Neilo

Won't the weight distribution be different on a skidder front frame? So on a forwarder, the load might make it fall over in corners.

1270d

It would be interesting to have an occilating center section paired up with a movable front axle like a skidder has.   I think it would just tip over

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Airgrower

I'm afraid a military truck wouldn't hold up. It would be difficult to turn around at the end of the rows.  Unless you put a bogie up front I don't think you can have a single axle oscillating and a center section oscillating. 

mike_belben

Cut two mil trucks in half and put a center articulation joint. The differential chunks are flippable so rotation doesnt matter.  Tires are cheap and have very high load rating.  I cant think of what else wouldnt last one them. 

Drive it from job to job.  8)
Praise The Lord

Airgrower

If the image came through this is one of the units I built. It will easily walk on any ground we need to without harming pine tree roots or rutting. We just couldn't keep the tracks  on it.

mike_belben

Niiice.   Whatd you source the tracks from?
Praise The Lord

Airgrower

The machine is a prinoth Panther t8.

Skeans1

Quote from: Airgrower on November 21, 2017, 09:45:07 PM
When one machine will cover up to 150 acres per day it isn't uncommon to move several times. We do small 10 acre tracts and tracts up to 1000 acres. The fabtek concerns me about parts. The cat 564 looks the size of what would work. Both options exceed the $15k forwarder back end. The price is a moot point if I can't figure out matching gear ratios.
I run older Fabtek stuff and one nice thing is all parts are off the shelf so they're easy to come by, but for application wouldn't an 8 wheel forwarder tracked up do better? Most of the time hauling our we use a non ground bearing trailer and without the stake extensions we're under 13'.

Thank You Sponsors!