iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Patio Cover span

Started by 1dwn5up, November 20, 2017, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1dwn5up

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and was working on my patio cover measuring approximately 12x14' that I plan to add a 5/12 hip roof.  I was looking at my dimensions and I used 4x8" (rough/true) for my beams on my 8x8 posts. My length spans 12.5' and my width is 10'4".  But looking online again, I probably should have gone with 4x10". 

Will the 4x8 be sufficient and if not, what can I do to ensure it will be structurally sound?  I live in Houston, so no snow load.  I'm not an expert on all other technical terms so any help will be appreciated.

Rafters = 2x6 (not rough, more 1~3/4 x 5~5/8)
Ridge = 9.5" x 1~5/8 - is this sufficient enough or should I double up.
Roof = 1x6 tongue and groove, another issue is that I will need to think about what to add on top so the roofing nails don't go through.
Wood = western red cedar

Thank you

Ljohnsaw

Did you use the red tool box on the left/bottom?  You need to use that to calculate what the beams should really be.  Another consideration is what will your rafter spacing be?  I'm assuming 16" since you are only sheeting with 1" planks.  All of that will go into the "load" that the beams need to carry.  You could cover the 1" planks with some OSB (1/2" or so?) to make a little thicker surface to nail your roof material into.  I think the OSB might hold better then the cedar.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

BradMarks

I built a hip roof on an outbuilding 20+ years ago(10x12), to match the roofline of the house.  It had a normal top plate of two 2x4's (3 1/2) and just 2x4 rafters(16" apart) with plywood sheeting and shingles on top. Ridge was 2' wide, the difference in the two dimensions. I used a 2x8 I believe.  It has borne every load so far, but the BIG difference is I have walls for support, and I envision a patio being open with corner posts. You could brace those posts with supports(same size) at a 45 degree angle, without taking away too much "visual", which seems important for you if you are doing tongue and groove on the "underside". Also, roofing nails come in many lengths, shorties might only be 3/4". Have fun with all the angle and birds- eye cuts ;D

Don P

I can see it more than one way in my head, can you post a sketch?
I've done exactly what ljohnsaw suggested several times, put down 1x T&G and then osb, tarpaper, shingles. Those 3/4" roofing nails/ finger tenderizers don't have much nail penetration against the wind. Codewise, 2' centers allows 5/8" min lumber roof sheathing.

Thank You Sponsors!