iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short log and cookie holding jig

Started by rjwoelk, November 20, 2017, 09:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

I came accross this device several years ago. And decided to make one. I had a customer that had some maple that he wanted sliced up into slabs
Only the logs were 14 to 18 inches long. So a couple of pipe clamps a deck that fits on the mill and is clamped.  I did some cookies. If i could find the rest if my clamps could add a set on the back and do 2 cookie logs at a.time. i can clamp just under 4 ft.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

samandothers

pineywoods

Oh boy, one more project added to my list. I gotta have me one of them..Thanks for the pics..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

Pretty cool. I like simple. I found a while back that I can simply clamp the log directly in my mill clamp and saw cookies quickly that way. I tried various jigs and multiple logs but found the movable clamp and one log at a time works best and fastest for me. It is definitely easier with a second person to hold the log upright during clamping however.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I say wow, finally a jig design that looks simple and will work.  Thank You!!   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rjwoelk

If I ever have problems with movement I will drill a hole through the face of the clamps  and weld in a pointed rod so give it some bite. The log I cut was around 24 inches tall. You have about a 2 to 3 inch left . But can cut what ever thickness. Just for interested sake , I will try some quarter sawing . Yellowhammer style.
This project came about because a guy wanted some maple firewood logs slabed,  but never showed up. ???
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

YellowHammer

I like your clamp idea with the spikes.  Even with my hydraulic, I hate putting the dirty end of the log on top of my polished two plane clamp bar.  This would protect all that.  Setting up multiples to cut in one pass is pretty handy too.  Make it 8 feet long, have a bunch of clamps perpendicular to the bed (can do it with the cantilever head), load a half a dozen butt cuts at one time, and shave cookies off them all in one pass. Mass production.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

And then they all crack and split  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Sawyer:  Saw em and leave em.

Customer:  Use em and lose em.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on November 21, 2017, 07:25:15 AM
I know, it's crazy, but after spending so much time to make them look good it seems folks don't care for these short term seasonal projects. 

Right now, people are buying green cookies like crazy for Christmas cookie snowman.  It's the big fad now, and all I've been doing is chainsawing 2 inch thick cookies freehand while I'm bucking my logs to 8' and leaning the cookies against the building.  I probably sold twenty or thirty last week, for $5 to $10 each, depending on size.  For these projects, nobody cares if the crack or have chainsaw marks, they get nailed or glued to a backer board that doubles as a stake to poke in the ground, and three of them, painted white, stacked edge to edge, make a quick snowman ornamemnt.  They are called "30 Minute Projets" because start to finish that's all it takes.  I don't think it would take that long, except for the paint to dry. 

It started Halloween when people started snagging and painting the cookies orange with faces in them to look like pumpkin Jack O Lanterns, now they are building snowmen. 

The light bulb went off in my head when customers started wandering my logyard picking up my muddy, nasty cutoffs and asking how much I wanted for them and then complaining that I didn't have more.  That was an easy problem to solve!

Here's a link to what folks are doing.  I need to go cut some more, I'm about out.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FGJDbb_ppI
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Quote from: WDH on November 21, 2017, 07:25:15 AM
So, Danny, how's the 'Cookie Experiment' going?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

They are just drying slow and not saying much. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Downstream

I have something similar but this jig looks like an improvement over my current one.  Now it's off to harbor freight for a couple of pipe clamp sets to remake my sled.  I will be adding spike points to the clamps somehow.  The thought of the sawmill damage and chaos caused by a log coming loose always pops into my mind.  Thanks for posting the photos.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

rjwoelk

To clamp the pipe clamps tight to the frame, I took one size larger pipe took a section out , welded a bolt to it, drilled a hole  crank it tight.  One could use a U bolt as well.  Made the 2 clamps about 10 inches apart, that would depend on the size of logs you would normaly use. If both ends have threads one could have a clamp at both ends and do 2 logs at a time.

rjwoelk

Some pics of the jig . Cutting a 40 inch long Birch log. Just had to see if i could do the rrqs procedure.  ;D once the wood has dryed I will plane it and see hat happened. I have been getting curly figure on quarter sawn Birch.

Thank You Sponsors!