iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Slow moving problems

Started by PA_Walnut, November 20, 2017, 07:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

I have a relatively new LT40 Hydraulic. Lately, the carriage seems to be moving slower/lazy...particularly before warmed up. Also the debarker doesn't want to move back away from the log when asked.

Not sure if related, but what should I be looking at/for? Maybe the battery isn't charged/charging properly?

Thanks for any suggestions. Calling WM support today also.  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

Simple things first.  The carriage could be as simple as the belt slipping, or a seized cam follower.  Is the sawmill level?  The Debarker is heavy and if the loader side of the sawmill is high, it will cause the Debarker to not want to retract.  Is the swing arm joint greased and loose?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

Mill is pretty level. I'll double-check. Just greased and lubed everything, but will double-check.
Haven't checked the drive belt lately. Will do.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Chuck White

Also check the belt on the debarker!

Sometimes if the mill has been sitting idle for too long, the belts will harden and not want to move freely!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Debarker pivot shaft and housing need to be cleaned once in a while.sawdust and grease in there. I alternate a little grease with atf as time goes by. I lift the shaft about an inch and squirt atf in on top. If it's hardened could use wd40 or on blaster or blue creeper.

Feed belt 7 pounds 1/8" deflection.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

In my debarker book, it says 3/8" deflection, with 3 to 5 pounds pressure!

I guess it just depends on what version of debarker you have!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

Make sure your warhead feed is not restricted in some way, like Magic mentioned, a seized cam follower bearing or something else. Too much of an electrical load can burn up your MOSFET board. You don't want to do that$$$. Also, if temps are hovering right around freezing, belts can get condensation, that turns to frost, on them and that will cause slippage until the belts warm up.
Too many irons in the fire

Ga Mtn Man

Also check the top felt wiper.  It can get packed with sawdust and cause a drag on the head feed.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Trying to make sure these issues are related? or not? Feed could be something as simple as the power feed belt loose. If the mill is outside the debarker belt can rust inside the pulley. Does the rod with the spring move when you push the switch? If this is moving then the grease could be hard or the pin rusted. 35 hp Yanmar would be a late model mill.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think its just the COLD weather.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

My old LT40 has no debarker but when my power feed got sticky it was a simple fix. I just had to clean and adjust the wipers on the top rail; problem solved.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

LeeB

Good point about the felt pads. I finally took mine off.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on November 20, 2017, 05:22:54 PM
Also check the top felt wiper.  It can get packed with sawdust and cause a drag on the head feed.

Mine would bunch up, freeze to the top rail. I just rip it out, put the tin top back on and never had trouble after that.  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Of course mine does not freeze, but that top felt wiper gets removed, wire brushed, and flooded with ATF before each day's sawing.

I have had to replace that power feed shaft assembly twice, but it does get quite a workout.  Heck, it is also dragging me along.  Note: if the power feed chain is adjusted too tight it will kill those bearings.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I don't do it that often, but I clean and flood with atf weekly and before sawing if the mill has been sitting idle for a while.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Percy

Im havin "slow moving" problems too this morning.....late for work....too much punkooter with coffee...  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

pineywoods

Quick check..take the belt off the feed motor. Then try manually pushing the head down the rails. If it's hard to push, you have something binding, If the head moves easily, then try rotating the feed motor by hand. If the motor turns easily, you have an electrical problem, if not...I have changed out a couple of feed motors because they bind up when the permanent magnets come loose, they are glued to the inside of the motor case. JB weld will re-attach them. Be carefull handling those magnets, they are made of ceramic and are very brittle. A sharp blow to the case of the motor will likely shatter them.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

Also mark the magnets so you put them back in the same way...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PA_Walnut

Not been at the mill much, but checked the wipers/guides and some, but not much dust caked-up in there. Belt tension is good, battery checks out ok.
Gonna remove the belt and push it today to see how it feels.
Thx for all the tips!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Chuck White

When you get the chance, try Pineywoods (above) suggestion!

Remove the feed drive belt and see if the saw head moves back and forth freely!

PA_Walnut

Yep. That's what's on my agenda today. Time to change oil in all the machines too...between mill, edger, tractor, truck, generator, pressure washer, it's like a full day and 55 gallon drum!  :o
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!