iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How are Y'all charging using an Alaskan Chainsaw mill?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 19, 2017, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a friend / customer who has ordered an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.
I get so many logs larger than I can't saw that we've decided he will buy the mill and I will supply the logs.
We will stack and sticker them under my shed and then on to the kiln. Its a 50 / 50 deal.

What would you charge customers who bring their BIG logs to be slabbed and what
would you charge to go set up on a site?

Thanks!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ChugiakTinkerer

My "knowledge" of chainsaw mills and the Alaskan in particular is limited to what I've gleaned from FF and other fora.  So price this advice accordingly...

I'd think setup for the Alaskan is pretty much nothing, as you set up on a log the same whether it's on your lot or on the mobile work site.  So figure out what your "free" travel distance might be and charge extra for travel and setup for anything beyond that distance.

Any comment on pricing the cutting the logs themselves would be based on even more ignorance than I show above, so I'll just retreat to my dark corner now!  8)
Woodland Mills HM130

Savannahdan

How big of a mill is he getting and how much of a chainsaw does he have or plan to use?  I first started with chainsaw milling using a 30" Granberg and a 79cc chainsaw.  The saw did alright but I could tell it wasn't made for that type of work and I always seemed to have larger logs than the 30" mill would handle.  I upgraded to a 56" setup on the mill and have a Husky 3120xp.  They work good together even though the total outfit sort of needs a forklift to pick it up.  Also, I have used a section of extension ladder or a specially made 2x4 rig for making the first levelling cut.  If you're looking at long logs you'll need to have a longer levelling rig.
I like chainsaw milling with all the noise, sawdust, fumes, slow cutting, etc. because I like the outcome - fantastic slabs.  I probably wouldn't do it for anyone else for less than $50.00 hour and would charge an additional fee if I had to cut longer than 8'-10' logs.  But, since I have a Lucas I'd probably be more inclined to see if a job is going to offset the cost of a slabbing attachment.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

goose63

David 50/50 for you is a good deal

I'm the olny one round here with the Alaskan mill and its a lot of work so I don't start for less than $250 

I can cut up to 38 inch my saw a Jred 2188 I put a boat winch on it makes it a lot easey than pushing it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

As I understand the question you are asking what to charge for customer logs, not ones you own and are sawing and speculating on.

If so, I would suggest a mileage fee if not brought to your site, a Minimum set up fee then an hourly rate thereafter whether at your site or his. You may need to include extra fees if the log is an excessive distance from easy access to account for the extra time hauling your equipment back and forth into the brush and such. Hourly rate would be applied to any site prep if you get there and have to cut a path or limbs or such the customer had not already removed or cleared before you got there. Tell the customer what you need and charge extra if not ready.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

He's getting a STIHL saw. Don't know the size yet but its the saw he company recommended.
Its 56-58 inches wide but I he said it would actually saw 54 inches wide.
IMO, thats more than enough width to draw interest.

I won't be part of the traveling sawing, but halfers on what we saw in my yard and I have a lot of huge logs that are just burned due to know way of sawing them.
I'll do the marketing and sells.
What he saws on site is his wagon....he pulls it.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just talked to Brian.
The saw engine is a 120cc Still Magnum 880.

Brad_S.

I used my 60 inch chainsaw mill once and don't plan on ever using it again! There's no way I would run it for just half the lumber! You're getting a great deal from that guy!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

POSTON WIDEHEAD

He's getting the winch that Goose talked about.
I've never been around a mill like this and he hasn't either but we gonna learn.

Brucer

If you can find a copy, buy Will Maloff's book, "Chainsaw Lumbermaking". He spent a good many years tinkering and finding the most efficient way to cut lumber with an Alaskan mill.

My experience:
- it's important to set up the first two cuts (at 90°) accurately. That takes time.
- it's a ........
- your boards/planks will always have a uniform thickness.
- the finish will be better than a bandmill (IF you use kerf wedges).
- ........ slow ........
- to pay yourself well, cut stuff that no one else can and charge a lot.
- don't forget to cover the time/cost of sharpening those long chains.
- ......... process.

My experience with an Alaskan mill is why I own a Wood-Mizer ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

LeeB

How does the cost of a Lucas or Peterson slabber compare to the costs for all the equipment needed for an Alaskan setup?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woodyone.john

I am a mobile miller.Occasionally I get asked to saw up logs that I cant get either of my mills to,woodmizer 40 super  or peterson 10 inch wpf. I quote the same hourly rate same travel and  blade damage,which is full rate while i sharpen the saw.This is not my prefered way to saw wood but most enquirers still say yes please. I charge $120/hour and travel both ways at $80/hr.Our money has a different value to yours but this is still an up there rate.I also tell clients that I will wash their car or walk their dog too but still at the same rate,but that I come ready and able to mill wood and anything they can do to be organized for me helps to keep the bill down.Some get it some dont.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

scsmith42

David, I charge a buck a board for for slabbing. That's not with an Alaskan mill, but it's probably a reasonable rate for y'all to consider.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ianab

Quote from: LeeB on November 20, 2017, 01:46:32 AM
How does the cost of a Lucas or Peterson slabber compare to the costs for all the equipment needed for an Alaskan setup?

A dedicated slabbing mill is going to cost more up front, but it should be a lot more productive with ~20hp compared to 7 or 8 with a big chainsaw. And a lot less work for the operator. Basically you can just lean on the mill to feed it through the log.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ToddsPoint

I hope your sawyer has a good back.  Bending over a log sawing it with one of those Alaskan mills would be a killer.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

goose63

My log to big for the mill

you can see where the winch it sitting
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 19, 2017, 02:47:12 PM
I have a friend / customer who has ordered an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.
What would you charge customers who bring their BIG logs to be slabbed?

I would charge a minimum rate per hour that would cover my both my medical deductible, back surgery expenses, and Showtime or HBO because I would be using lot of all of them. 

Just kidding, but well, not really....there's folks who make good money with them, but wow, motivation is the key, especially in hardwoods.

I think we have a new topic for the Sycamore Project next year.  Definately install a winch or hand crank. 

I have an Alaskan in the barn I will give to you if you want it. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

How much are you going to pay me to take it?   :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Hourly, niche, I'm not about to make lumber with one but if you need a 12x12x 60' lets talk, I guarantee if we do it on your land I'll beat the shipping alone on the next closest thing. We're wrapping up a log barn reconstruction that has paid us hourly since March to log and mill specialty dimensions, the huge logs, beams and posts. As soon as stuff was short enough to go into the Lucas we did so, braces, roof sheathing, siding, joists, flooring. The Alaskan is way faster than felling axe and broadaxe though. Its all relative and those jobs don't come along every day. For slabs, and we've made a barnfull, I'm not so sure how to price. So far it seems like the fairness of the sale is that everyone feels screwed. I much prefer it when everyone feels like they got the sweet end of the deal. I think that niche is probably not stand alone but needs more value added or other market niches using more of the "catch", which needs another barn/shop  :D

As my mind wanders while running the CSM down trees, when the engine leads, the cutter is chipping its way down the grain, lifting and pulling. When you are straight across it is cutting across the ends of the bundle of straws, and when the nose leads you are brushing the dog.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on November 21, 2017, 07:38:57 AM
That may be the only way I can get rid of it!  I'm thinking I'll send it to you as a Christmas present.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Savannahdan

I bought a small winch and the auxiliary oiler for my CSM.  Both added extra weight and I haven't gotten into long logs where the winch would be most beneficial.  I can use the Husky 3120xp oiler system to get extra oil.  So, both of those items are sitting with my 30" rails and other extra stuff.  I've been too busy with other things but need to make a cradle for the Lucas and use the Granberg with it.  I do recommend he get a racheting wrench to make adjustments to the mill.  There are instances where you have to make adjustments and the bolt head is hard to get to.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

Quote from: Savannahdan on November 21, 2017, 11:49:06 AM
I bought a small winch and the auxiliary oiler for my CSM.  Both added extra weight and I haven't gotten into long logs where the winch would be most beneficial.  I can use the Husky 3120xp oiler system to get extra oil.  So, both of those items are sitting with my 30" rails and other extra stuff.  I've been too busy with other things but need to make a cradle for the Lucas and use the Granberg with it.  I do recommend he get a racheting wrench to make adjustments to the mill.  There are instances where you have to make adjustments and the bolt head is hard to get to.

Where would one buy a auxiliary oiler?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 21, 2017, 07:38:57 AM

Just because I tried to cut you out on Jake's edger does this mean you're trying
"Mill Block" me on YH's Alaskan Mill?  >:( >:( >:( >:(

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kcwoodbutcher

I have a guy I call when someone wants a wide slab. He runs an 880 with a 60" bar on an Alaskan. He charges $40 an hour from when he starts setup.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Thank You Sponsors!