iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett 21A Differential PAerts

Started by Breithaupts, November 19, 2017, 10:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breithaupts

Anyone know where I can find parts for a front differential for a Garrett 21A skidder?  Having trouble finding one.  Mine is tore up.  Thanks gents...and ladies of course!  I'm near Seattle, Washington, but would be glad to ship one in from anywhere.  My mechanic can't find one...yet.  He's a great guy, just having trouble sourcing the diff.

bushmechanic

A picture of the differential or the planetary would help out. I believe the axles are Rockwell's in that machine. What is the ratio of the diff? It is stamped on the end of the pinion.

MT logger

I have a straight 21 i am parting out I put an open diff in the front a couple years ago got it out of Chicago cant remember the gear house name. If mine are the same as the 21A send me a message.

Breithaupts

I have asked my mechanic what the ratio is on the diff, but it's Sunday morning at 7:30 here so he's kinda slow on the reply...lol  I will get back to you tho!  I need the old girl back as I need to yeard wood!

Breithaupts

MT Logger - Do you have diff parts still on the 21 you are parting out?  I think there's a good chance they would be the same.  Real similar machines in many respects.  Curious what parts you do have?

Breithaupts

How the heck do I post a picture of the differential on here?  I have one.  I think the photo of the diff should be in my pictures if I'm doing it right?!?

Breithaupts

OK the picture of the differential is in my gallery.  Can you see it?

78NHTFY

Thought I'd help out with the photo upload ;) :D.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Breithaupts

Breithaupts

Breithaupts

Ahhhh...I see how to post pics in the thread now! Sheesh, i'm not the sharpest marble in the bag sometimes...haha

bushmechanic

Definitely a Rockwell diff, now all you need to know is the ratio. It is stamped on the pinion end where the yoke slides on in the number of teeth on the pinion gear and the number of teeth on the crown gear. Most likely 5/39 which is common in skidder diffs. If so there are a lot of machines you could source that from.

Breithaupts

Sent your questions to my mechanic.  He's in Sequim, WA.  otherwise I would drive over and look.  I'm in tacoma, WA

This forum is AWESOME 8)

Breithaupts

Bushmechanic - Do you think I should try and source off an old skidder that is parting out, or is there somewhere to buy new/used?  Mechanic tells me Rockwell says they are not in stock any longer.  New one may put me under any way... Forget about a "Used Log Truck".  What about a "Used Log Skidder"?  Buzz Martin must not have owned one, ehe?

bushmechanic

I'm not sure but I think there is an forum member on here from Tacoma that goes by the name of tantoy. He recently rebuilt a Garrett and an excellent job too! Search the forum its a good read.

Breithaupts

I've seen Tantoy on here before.  Will do, thanks!

Breithaupts

Rockwell Differential is Ratio is 7.8: 1

bushmechanic

I have got gear sets from truck applications and installed them before, some bolt up perfect and others I have had too redrill the crown bolt holes too fit. Either way it won't be cheap, the last one I did was an Eaton and the gear set ran about $1200 Canadian, not including bearings or seals. Aftermarket Parts is a good source for forestry parts. It may be easier to get a diff from a parted out machine, anyway good luck with that.

Breithaupts

Thanks for the info Bushmechanic.  Will pass along your reply to my mechanic and have also reached out to Tantoy so we'll see what we can come up with.  I would pay $1200 in a New York Second...

snowstorm

Quote from: MT logger on November 19, 2017, 10:29:42 AM
I have a straight 21 i am parting out I put an open diff in the front a couple years ago got it out of Chicago cant remember the gear house name. If mine are the same as the 21A send me a message.
it may have been general truck in chragio

Breithaupts

What parts do you have off the Garrett 21 you are parting out?  I may be interested in buying some if they are still available.

Thank you!

pdxh20

I did both of my Rockwell diff's & planetaries on my '74 IH S-8 here in Portland this year. Keep in mind the Rockwell numbers and the mfg numbers are not always the same. NorCan Parts http://www.norcan-parts.com/default.htm in Spokane got me some stuff and Northwest tractor in Boring, OR http://www.nwtractorparts.com/ is another good source. Wayne at Six States http://www.sixstates.com/products/location.jsp?location=8 in Portland rebuilt one (non-locker) for around $800 and sourced another good used core out of LA for $600 delivered. All three shops are great at crossing part numbers and finding hard-to-get items for these old machines.
'56 American crawler crane, Komatsu mini-ex, multiple Stihl saws, '75 IH S-8 cable skidder, 2000 F450 30' bucket truck, '95 Chev 4 x 4 2500 p/u, '05 Sprinter SHC 2500 van

Breithaupts

Thanks PDXH20 for the help on diff parts!  Need to get the old girl running soon.  Land owners are screaming to get wood yarded and I hate to rent a machine.  There's a gent up here that wants $6K/week to rent out his Clark triple six...what a piece of junk!  By far the worst skidder I ever ran!  Sorry if I offend any gents out there...

tantoy

Nice talking to you yesterday John, By chance did you try county line equipment in fife?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Thank You Sponsors!