iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raising the roof

Started by Paul_H, April 14, 2002, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Two years ago,with three kids and a baby(Lucy) on the way,we needed more space.We looked at an addition or tearing down and rebuilding.Because every ten years it usually floods,we decided that what ever we do,we need higher elevation.
We hired a architect and hired a house moving company,and on July 19 2000,up we went.

The house was raised 14'.There was no interuption of phone or power,and the next day water&sewer were restored.It was three weeks till the house was lowered onto the newly built walls.It was a little like living on a boat.

This is a shot underneath of cribbing

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bud Man

Looks and sounds like a mighty bold undertaking, got some pics of the finished product ?? What happens to phone and power when It floods and when was the last one ?? I like high ground at least for my housing !!  ;)
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Paul_H

Bud Man,I'll dig for some more pics.The last food was in 1991 and the house which was ground level,had 4" inside.The first floor now is 4' off the ground.We built a porch around three sides,and changed  all windows and doors.I have a fearless wife,and kids that take it all in stride.Tomorrow, my friend is coming to start on the siding.If the weather is nice I'll try the digital camera.
We only lose power when it's windy.This morning from 2:30-7:00 am,matter of fact ;D

Paul_H

Looking South,back stairs just built,the railings were put up right away.

RavioliKid

I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done. Right now, it looks like Dr. Seuss had a hand in the planning! :D
RavioliKid

Bibbyman

I'd say that front porch should discourage the vacuum salesmen and Jehovah Whiteness.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CHARLIE

From the pictures, it looks like the house is up higher than 4 feet.  Actually, building homes on pilings is very common in the Fort Myers Beach, Florida area.  The homes are set up at least 8 feet off the ground. Many people park their cars under the house or enclose part of it for a workshop. Anyway, it looks like you've found a way to "get up in the world". ;D  It's a great idea. Beats the heck out of cleaning up water damage. :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Frank_Pender

Paul, when I get there next month, do I have to use the ladder  to get to the main house? 8)  I wonder if I will get air sickness for being so high in the air. :-[  I better make arrangements in advance, it looks like! ;)
Frank Pender

Tom

Being a "swamp" person I favor the lowlands.  My place is under threat of flood all the time but the house and well are tall enough that I don't worry too much about water damage or well spoilage.  That's a unique application for a house mover.  Was that your original idea or was somebody else envolved who thought of it?  It's a great tidbit of information in case I ever need to do something like that.  Hadn't thought of a house mover.

Over in the Suwanee river basin, the building codes require 14 feet to the first floor. Since the whole place floods for miles, the insurance companies lobbied the legislation.  Most of the dwellings are mobile homes put in the woods and along the river for weekend retreats.  It is a lot of fun to watch them put them up.  They drive pilings, build a beam foundation and platform, then hire a crane to lift the mobile home and place it on top of this contraption where it is bolted on and tied to the ground.  Wells are sealed but septic tank drain fields still get inundated until the water recedes.

I still love the swamp though.  It's all alive, and green and smells of rich dirt, aromatic woods and perfumey flowers.

What causes the flooding in your area?  I see mountains in the background, doesn't that water run off too fast to stack it up?  :D

Paul_H

The idea of raising the house and building another floor underneath,came from some friends in town that did much the same.We also thought about tearing off the roof and putting trusses on that would allow a 14'x40' upstairs space for bedrooms and bathroom.But we still had to have the first floor 4' above grade.The original house you see in the pics is now four bedrooms and two baths.Downstairs is the main floor,kitchen livingroom,office,mudroom,and small familyroom.

You're right Tom,spring and fall are bad for floods.We are in a narrow valley and the dykes occasionally breach from snow runoff.
Frank,you won't need a ladder,there are 5 steps to the main floor now.you can moor your boat to the back porch :D
Dr Seus is a good analogy.It took a couple of weeks to get used to.When we would come in the driveway,it was hard not to laugh.(a crazy kind of laugh) :o

Bud Man

Well I guess you just put a crash helmet and a floatation device on each child as they go out to play or to school and hope the current brings them home if the water rises. :o That first step looks a doozie off that doorstep !  :o I guess you could get one of those distress signals and put one in each childs back pack in case the creeks rise fore they get home and up the stairs !  :o Heck you wouldn't need to worry about groceries either cause you could just fish offn the roof and eat yer catch !  8) Looks like if your house becomes the high point in the area, the collection of critters looking fer a resting spot as they swum by would suffice for a science class if the children couldn't get to school on a given day or week or month. :o Sure would bring a whole new meaning to family togetherness ifn you got isolated for a month or two. ::)  You know what they say- Ifn your happy I'm happy 4 ya  ;)- I guess the kids learnt to swim for they could walk.  :P I spect will see ya on channel 13 ifn you hav to b res-q'ed   ;) Oh Frank, Ifn u cant swim -eyed take a life jacket, u might need it  :o
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Paul_H

I took this picture this morning,never used it before(digital).It was taken from the front looking North.

Hey Bud Man,it's not that bad,we haven't had a flood since we bought in 96,but we want to have a comfort zone :)

Paul_H

8)It's a work in progress.As we save a bit of money,we do a little more finishing.My friend doing the siding,traded his skills for use of our D7.He is a finishing carpenter by trade,and has done most of the inside with edge grain d-fir.The floor is still plywood,we still aren't sure what we want,and have to save or trade some more.    

I'll try to get some inside shots.

Bud Man

Bob Villa is always looking for unique homes to feature on "This Old House" will be watching the Home and Garden Channel listings for that episode.  Till then: Stay High and Stay Dry and Hang The Meat Out Of Reach Of The Bears. I'd like to see that edge grained D- Fir, bet It's nice.  Happy Trails!

Paul_H

Here are a few inside shots of the windows.

Paul_H

And stairs,remember it's not finished,but soon maybe ::)

Top of stairs looking South

Frank_Pender

GeePaul, I feel bettwer knowing I won't get air sick.  ::) Only five steps, I can handle that with no problem. 8)    The new first floor looks great from the photo.   ;)  That trading is a way to go, when you can get it.   ;)
Frank Pender

Bud Man

Paul Van Gogh--Looks pretty good -got any rooms to let--In The Dry Season ?? :D

Jeff

Must be in big snow country eh Paul?  (Steel Roof)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodman

Just think of the vieu
Jim Cripanuk

Paul_H

Frank,I lied. :o There are 6 steps.You gotta just take one at a time.
There can be a lot of snow,the load rating was high,and we had to beef up the roof some.It's pretty loud when it lets go.

Bud Man,if you ever get up this way,we'll find you a spot.(might be in with the baby)maybe bring the Forum waders :D

The whole bottom was sided today,the tough part will be the top.Should be ready to paint in a week.

Bud Man

Ain't enough pitch on that roof for lots of snow and looks like al-u-min-eum  :P   Paul Van Gogh  That staircase looks great !! ;)

Bud Man

You should've told me about the need for siding, I've been a Tin Man for 16 years, we could've swaped some work for bear meat or something and ya don't need no boots around me I only speak the Gospel truth , no bull.

Paul_H

Thanks Bud Man,my two older daughters put in long hours helping me sand and Varethane the railings.They are good kids.You can have all the bears you want.I let the conservation officer know if a bear is starting to get uppity,and then I can destroy it at my discretion.If they have a spare trap they'll bring it by,but they are after the Apples and they don't have to climb in a tin can to get them.
I meant bring the waders for the high water ;)

Bro. Noble

Paul was telling me about this project.  This thread started before I discovered the FF.  It's fascinating and I thought I would dig it back out because the rest of the newer guys deserve to see it too.

Dad tells about a shirt-tail kin that lived over around Joplin.  He had just got married and built a small house on the family farm.  Soon after he took a job over in Kansas so bought a lot and had the house moved there.  He worked in Kansas for 30 years, retired and moved back to the family farm-----the little house went right back on it's original foundation.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!