iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 blowing oil out the exhaust

Started by tripg1968, November 18, 2017, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripg1968

Im runnin an older tree farmer c5 with a detroit 353. it seems to run fine but i noticed oil leaking out around the exhaust manifold. Now after runnin it 9 hours ystrdy Ive got oil out of the muffler and its using about 1-2 qts per 10 hours. Motor doesnt smoke, even under load. What do you guys think??

mike_belben

Really bad valve guides and seals will do that.  busted rings or hole in piston would also but youd probably be saying its got low power.   

is the crankcase breather spewing too?
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

You need to check your air filter see if it's plugged up. If not pull the cover off the blower housing and see if you got oil on the rotors. If so then most likely your blower seals are shot. If the  rotors are dry you must have an internal problem.

tripg1968

Thanks Mike im not sure it looks like it my motor has the blower on the right side that side is dry the left side has the exh man the breather the oil pres sending unit etc. i can see where its leaking out of the manifold and making everything wet. Skidder seems to have good power really pulls well. ill try to post a pic

tripg1968

Bushmechanic thanks ill check the air filter and blower ive heard other people say the same thing. Its not terrible (yet) has good power.

tantoy

See if you can search some of my posts. Went thru the same thing about a year ago.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

mike_belben

At the diesel shop they called em trash pumps, because they were pretty content to pump all the trash from the blower rotors grinding together when the bearings failed. Look for contact in the roots.
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

Hey tantoy did you ever get that engine straightened out?

Frozendozer

I have an old john deere 440 icd dozer with a 2-53 in it.  The research I did, thru a site similar to this site called it "slobbering"  .  I had to make sure the vent tube, that was on the opposite side of the blower, was not plugged.  Mine was, and once I cleared out the tube and threaded hole in the block, the issue cleared up.

Hope this helps

tantoy

Quote from: bushmechanic on November 23, 2017, 05:36:04 PM
Hey tantoy did you ever get that engine straightened out?

Bush,
I have done nothing since this post.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,92853.msg1430152.html#msg1430152
Reply # 29 was my conclusion
Its just a hobby machine and I don't have the ambition (lazy + busy) to tear it apart to check if the oil rings are broken.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

timberlinetree

Napa oil will cause that sometimes. Use cf-2
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

coxy

Thank You Sponsors!