STIHL ELECTRIC START RETROFIT

Started by edwin dirnbeck, November 18, 2017, 01:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwin dirnbeck

Hello, I am a semi retired tool and die maker, and lifelong inventor of things that interest me.I am designing and building a hand held battery powered electric starter for the stihl brand chainsaws. The chainsaw itself will actually be lighter than before I alter it.I want to prototype this on the most popular and readily availible model that stihl has sold. Soo I figured That I would go right to the horses mouth and and respectfully ask the members of this forum for their opinion. I am not talking about the best model but rather the most sold. And yes I do know that stihl makes an all electric and an easy start . I do a lot of lurking on this forum but I am not in this trade. It is an excellent . forom. Thank you Edwin Dirnbeck

Ada Shaker

I suppose the bigger cc saws are always the hardest to start requiring decompression valves and a fair amount of grunting from time to time, maybe this is a good place to start a business venture, either way good luck.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

snowstorm

the old yellow saws had electric start back in the 60's

sawguy21

It has been tried without success  although current battery technology may make it viable. Remington had one with jumper cables that clipped to the truck battery, fine if the truck was handy. McCulloch had a go to. The big drawbacks were bulk, weight and cost.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

Cool, when chainsaw milling that would be nice. We've talked about some kind of battery drill or driver type of spinner upper.
I would guess the 028 Was the 350 chevy saw, not sure now.

HolmenTree

Welcome to the Forum edwin,
I always respect and admire innovative minds.
I'm not looking to get into too much detail as you may want a certain ammount of privacy for a patent.
But is your hand held electric starter attached to the chainsaw or something you carry in your pocket?

I would say the 026/MS261 would be Stihls biggest seller in the pro grade department.
I'm not sure about the lower end consumer models.
Like the last member Don P already said a electric starter on a large displacement saw on a chainsaw lumber mill would be a good idea.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

teakwood

A good saw just needs 4-5 pulls when cold and ONE when hot. so in my opinion it's not that bad to start a saw.

Of course i also have thrown a saw away after 20pulls followed by some not so friendly words.  :D :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

I know for one thing my 8 hp snowblower has both a rewind pull starter like a chainsaw and a 110 volt electric starter that is built into the motor.
I just plug in its cord into a outside wall outlet on the house and push a  button.....so nice! :D

sawguy21

You don't have to carry your snow blower. :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 21, 2017, 11:52:49 AM
You don't have to carry your snow blower. :D
Roy, I know you guys on the B.C. coast probably never  saw snow  before. :D Maybe only that white stuff on a distant mountain top ;D
Probably never plugged in your vehicles either Hahahaha :)

sawguy21

HA!! Your cold I can do without, had enough in Alberta, but we can show you a thing or two about snow. :)

TKehl

I'll 3rd the chainsaw mill recommendation.  Seems like a great fit to with lots of cutting in one spot.  Can be a pain to pull start in some positions if gas runs out mid cut.

As for most common, I'm more familiar with the homeowner/farmer varieties.  What I see are 290/291s (kind of the inheritor of the 028 mantle), 250s, and 170/180s.  Based on my neighbors, auction salebills, and classifieds.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 21, 2017, 03:35:10 PM
HA!! Your cold I can do without, had enough in Alberta, but we can show you a thing or two about snow. :)
And rain  :)

snowstorm

You will find that ski doo beat you to it. As far as building one that dose not add weight. There system you have to pull start it once after that the coils they added under the flywheel store engery push the button and it's running. They call it shot

sawguy21

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 21, 2017, 03:48:57 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on November 21, 2017, 03:35:10 PM
And rain  :)
I left the coast, had enough of that too.

edwin dirnbeck

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 21, 2017, 06:56:28 AM
Welcome to the Forum edwin,
I always respect and admire innovative minds.
I'm not looking to get into too much detail as you may want a certain ammount of privacy for a patent.
But is your hand held electric starter attached to the chainsaw or something you carry in your pocket?

I would say the 026/MS261 would be Stihls biggest seller in the pro grade department.
I'm not sure about the lower end consumer models.
Like the last member Don P already said a electric starter on a large displacement saw on a chainsaw lumber mill would be a good idea.

edwin dirnbeck

Quote from: TKehl on November 21, 2017, 03:44:19 PM
I'll 3rd the chainsaw mill recommendation.  Seems like a great fit to with lots of cutting in one spot.  Can be a pain to pull start in some positions if gas runs out mid cut.

As for most common, I'm more familiar with the homeowner/farmer varieties.  What I see are 290/291s (kind of the inheritor of the 028 mantle), 250s, and 170/180s.  Based on my neighbors, auction salebills, and classifieds.   ;)
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to find the most redaly available  on the used market so that I can buy 2 or3 to experiment with. Edwin Dirnbeck

edwin dirnbeck

Quote from: Ada Shaker on November 20, 2017, 05:25:12 AM
I suppose the bigger cc saws are always the hardest to start requiring decompression valves and a fair amount of grunting from time to time, maybe this is a good place to start a business venture, either way good luck.
Thank you, good information.Edwin Dirnbeck

edwin dirnbeck

Quote from: Don P on November 20, 2017, 12:23:05 PM
Cool, when chainsaw milling that would be nice. We've talked about some kind of battery drill or driver type of spinner upper.
I would guess the 028 Was the 350 chevy saw, not sure now.
Good information,I never gave a thought to chain saw millers needing an electric start,Good to know. Thank you Edwin Dirnbeck.

Don P

Well as long as we're inventin, my wish list, I'd like expansion chamber exhaust that fits within the chainsaw mill and pipes the exhaust up and away, you may need to reinvent the mill to fit that and if so make the crossbars it slides on rollers. I'm old, debilitated, barely reconstructed and increasingly irritable sliding when I could be rolling. Crank wheel height adjust would speed things up and cut down on errors. And markings that are legible to the aforementioned eyes, we've had to call in a third old fart to be the tiebreaker on setups, he can't read them any better than us so who knows what we've been cutting  :D. Twist on tank extenders or caps and tubes to remote tanks mounted on the mill frame. Recranking a saw that hot is part of why I say an electric start would be nice, or extended run. At their presently configured exhaust, trapped between saw and log, and that poor cooling and then at that workload they can be some kind of temperamental to restart hot. And all for under 2 lbs  ;D

edwin dirnbeck

Quote from: teakwood on November 21, 2017, 07:08:04 AM
A good saw just needs 4-5 pulls when cold and ONE when hot. so in my opinion it's not that bad to start a saw.

Of course i also have thrown a saw away after 20pulls followed by some not so friendly words.  :D :D
I had an 034 that I bought new in 1986 for $335. The pull start FOR ME was like there was a rock caught in the cyclinder when it was the first start of the day.I actually made a bracket on my trailer to hold the saw so that I could pull with both hands.After the saw was warm I could restart normally . Now I am 76 years old and a lot weaker but a lot smarter maybe HA HA.The old German toolmakers that I worked for allways said. Ve get to soon olt und to late schmart. Thank you for the reply Edwin Dirnbeck

Kbeitz

Put a drill adapter on the flywheel.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sawguy21

How would that attach? A socket would spin the nut off.

Kbeitz

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 25, 2017, 12:27:06 PM
How would that attach? A socket would spin the nut off.

Not when you use one of these...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

weimedog

I ran an electric start saw today. Limbed out two trees with it. A Husqvarna 120i..:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)