iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm still here :)

Started by OlJarhead, November 18, 2017, 10:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Hi All!

I haven't forgotten about you!  I promise!  I'm still here but haven't been milling much (not at all recently) though I may go out again before the snow sticks (we'll see).

It's been since September since I last milled but I discovered I had 'facet referral pain' in my right shoulder so I've laid off a little and not pursued so much work this fall.  So far it isn't too serious (I hope and think) but they are saying I probably need an MRI as there may be disc issues in my upper back and lower neck.  Basically, back in May or June I did something to cause facets to nearly fuse in my neck around C6 or something like that.

Anyway, I check in often and think about milling ;) 

Sold my camper for a decent profit ;) and anticipate buying a much newer one in the new year (late winter / early spring) and hope to have the pain under control by then (right shoulder pain turned out to be this facet referral thing (whatever, I'm no doc! lol)....

Anyway, just saying hi :)
Erik
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Kbeitz

Good to see you back...
Now is the time to buy a camper. In the spring prices go up...
If your looking for a deal look now.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dgdrls

Hi Erik.

glad to see your post,  also glad the Camper worked-out.

best
D

Gearbox

Get better listen to the Doc's hope time fixes it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Good to hear from you. Hope your ailments get gone real soon. Congrats on the camper sale and good luck on the next one. I hope it does most of what you want and everything Mama requires - gotta keep our priorities straight. :D  Semper Fi and happy holidays.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DPatton

Hope you heal up soon. Thanks for the update.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

barbender

Good to hear from you, I always look forward to reading about your adventures👍🏼
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

Good to see you again Erik. This getting old sure ain't for the timid.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OlJarhead

Thanks all :)

Planning on buying the camper in the new year (don't need a deduction for taxes this year but won't hurt to have it on next years -- and it is for the business or I wouldn't buy it) but hoping to sneak it in while there is still lots of snow on the ground so the salesmen are more inclined to give us the premium deal :D

And yes, gettin' old can have it's pains!  And this old jarhead didn't take good care of his chassis over the years :P  So ya, gotta get it right. 

Darrel

Glad to hear from you Erik, from an old nurse that at times needs to listen to his own advice, get that MRI, do what ever it takes during the winter to get the chaises aligned and in great condition. Then when spring comes, you'll be fit as a fiddle and ready to saw.
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Good to hear from you!  MRI is good to see the soft tissue and what is going on. 

Chuck White

Welcome back Erik, been wondering where you were!

Too bad about the shoulder, but listen to the Doc and get it taken care of!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Erik, after a couple of years of sawing (and with a bum left shoulder already) I could see that my right shoulder wasn't going to last too long. So I bought an Auto clutch upgrade. Best upgrade I every invested in  :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

crowhill

Eric, good deal on the camper! Now to catch the next deal on one!! Sorry about the shoulder, but do listen to the Docs on that. You jarheads and my brother is one, have to learn how to get out of the physical aspect of being a Marine! Keep us posted.
Russel
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Bruno of NH

Erik
Hope you get better and back sawing soon:)
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishfighter

Take care of that shoulder and listen to what your body is telling you. As far as I know, jarheads are hard headed. Semper fi brother. ;D

And yes, I too haven't sawed anything in over a month. :( Been under the weather again. Dam ticker trouble. I have to head to New Orleans to Ochsner transplant center Monday. :( Been in and out the ER this past week twice and they wanted me to go down Friday, but nothing ever gets done on weekends down there. They going to do another heart cath. >:( So, I been doing nothing at all the past month. Heck, the wife will not even let me go for a walk by myself. :o

Alyeska Pete

I know the feeling.

When I was younger I spent half my money on alcohol and women. The other half I spent foolishly.

If I knew then that I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Percy

Hope the shoulder thing improves and you are back milling soon. There is a lot of nice timber in your neck of the woods that needs milling.  ;D ;D

on the shoulder thing, I am 11 years older than you and have been milling since I was 43. Not sure what causes it but most small millers eventually seem to get shoulder issues. Probably related to the physical aspect of what we do. While I feel I have the strength I did 10 years ago, I know I dont have the mobility. A few months ago, I could barely scratch the back of my neck. The wife sent me to a physio therapist who has me doing these exercises, mostly stretches that is slowly getting my mobility back or atleast partially. I would recommend all you younger guys to keep stretching and using your limbs in a full range of motion every day. It will help in the long run and make the "golden" years....heh...a bit more tolerable ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodworker9

Best of luck to you on your shoulder and heck pain.  I hope you start feeling better.

Please heed my story as a cautionary tale.  I had the same exact problem that started 15 years ago.  Being a hard working guy all my life, I gritted my teeth and tried to work through it.  All it did was progressively get worse until one early morning in 2012 when I woke up in immense pain and the left side of my body wasn't working right.  I'll spare you all the details, but after getting rushed to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack, it ended up being ruptured discs between C-5,C-6, and C-7 (both discs).

I needed spinal fusion surgery to correct, and it's better, pain wise, but I still live in a lot of pain from doing the work I still do (I'm 53, and am hardly going to try and reinvent my professional life......that ship has sailed!).

Don't mess around.  Get an MRI and know for sure what you're dealing with.  Some of the permanent damage that I am dealing with could have been avoided if I wasn't such a brick head in years earlier and got myself checked out properly.

Hope you fare better than I did, and use your noggin' better than I did, too.  If I could go back 15 years and make a better decision........boy Oh boy, would I.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

OlJarhead

I'm working on getting the MRI (have to make sure insurance will cover or decide if I want to pay cash).  I left the last guy I saw because he made it worse and went back to my old Chiropractor who is also the local Minor League teams 'sports med' doc.  He's very good and got my neck sorted out much better though not 100% (the shoulder pain is now down to a dull road at most).

He's suggested some simple therapy stuff and an MRI in the near future to rule out disk problems.

Crossing fingers ;)

woodworker9

Therapy should always be the first course of action.  When it comes to cervical injuries especially (neck), the orthopedic surgeon who performed my surgery, who is rated as the very best in this area (by several other Dr.'s), told me that the only time he will perform spinal fusion surgery on the cervical area is when paralysis occurs.  He won't operate to alleviate pain.  Unfortunately, my left side was paralyzed, and 3 rounds of epidural shots directly into the center of the effected vertebrae didn't get the swelling down enough.

If you start to get tingling in your left hand, and your pinky, the finger next to it, and your thumb are going numb, that is caused by pinching between C6 & C7.  That nerve cluster is the worst for pain, and controls the left side of your upper body.  Not trying to get too technical here, but just sharing what I have learned through an agonizing process and recovery.

An MRI will tell your chiropractor whether or not adjustments to that region of your spine are safe to perform.  I am able to control all the problems in my lower back (L3,4, and 5) with chiropractic visits, but my neck injury was beyond help.

Here's hoping for the very best outcome for you.....

Kbeitz

I for one don't believe in Therapy or chiropractors.
They have only made things worse for me.
They push to much to early.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 21, 2017, 01:25:01 PM
I for one don't believe in Therapy or chiropractors.
They have only made things worse for me.
They push to much to early.

I believe that is as much a product of the chiropractor that you are seeing as it is anything else.  I have experienced outstanding results with my chiropractor, as he came very highly recommended to me as being the best in the area 20+ years ago.  My best friend, who does not live by me, is having an experience very similar to yours.  He thinks the bone-cracker he is seeing is only making things worse.

There are A students, and C students in every field.

My guy always warmed me up with about 15 minutes of stretching, followed by electrical stimulation pads that were on a timer....15 seconds on, 10 seconds off....for about 15 minutes more.  This always seemed to get everything pretty loosened up and warm, before he starting applying pressure.

BTW, just for the record, my orthopedic surgeon, who has a major, major, MAJOR  "I AM GOD" complex, feels the same as you about chiropractors.  He refused to even consult with my chiropractor about my 20 year history before doing the surgery.  He was so arrogant that I almost didn't use him, but I'm glad I did. 

Hilltop366

As the saying goes... What do you call the person who finished last in medical school?.........Doctor.

Thank You Sponsors!