iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY log loader

Started by firefighter ontheside, November 17, 2017, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Has anyone made their own version of something like the hydraulic log loader on a WM?
I'm envisioning the arms similar to one WM makes and then using a farm jack to raise it up parallel with the bed.  Possibly could use a manual operated hydraulic ram from Harbor Freight.  My concern is if one ram or jack is sufficient in the middle or if I would need one at each end.  My plan would be to have a connecting member between the two arms out at the end to attach the jack to.  I would roll a log onto the arms and then set the jack into position and crank away.  Thanks, Bill.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

starmac

A jack on one end would let it twist pretty bad, I don't think you could brace it to keep from it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

21incher

I made one using a farm jack and it works good. I had to use a chain so it could flex around the log and pivot as it goes up

I have a YouTube video showing how it works i can post a link to if you are interested.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Hilltop366

My jaw still hurts when I see one of those farm jacks. (trying to unstick a Land Rover)

starmac

Jaws, fingers, and everything else, those jacks command a lot of respect. In these sue happy days, It is a wonder they have not been sued out of existence.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

scrout

A $60 HF winch would parbuckle logs up ramps quite easily, and probably safer?

Crusarius

21 thats a sweet setup. Did you make the plate on the end of the jack?

firefighter ontheside

I've done plenty of parbuckling, getting logs onto my trailer, but I would like something like 21incher's setup.  I would definitely like to see that video.  I will send you a pm.
Thanks for all the replies.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

Quote from: firefighterontheside on November 17, 2017, 05:52:12 PM
I've done plenty of parbuckling, getting logs onto my trailer, but I would like something like 21incher's setup.  I would definitely like to see that video.  I will send you a pm.
Thanks for all the replies.
The first part of this video shows it loading about a 24 inch walnut on my little mill. It is oversize for the mill so don't laugh at my mill when it starts doing a jig.
https://youtu.be/tOBRbU9ZFpc

As others have said you have to be carefull using the jack. It takes a while to get the correct geometry worked out so you don't shift the mill when jacking because the logs weigh twice as much as my mill. The trailer height also dictates if the jack will work with it.  It is slow, but gets the job done. It makes a good work table also.

Quote from: Crusarius on November 17, 2017, 05:03:53 PM
21 thats a sweet setup. Did you make the plate on the end of the jack?
I welded up a simple hook and pressure bar for the log to attach to the jack. It makes it easy to remove for loading and used high strength chain with grade 5 hardware. There is also a safety loop around the jack to keep it from flying if something goes wrong.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

This one shows it a little better starting at the 2 min point. The audio is pretty bad though.
https://youtu.be/rMQ07EGK4fQ.

TKehl

Farm jacks are pretty reliable if kept lubed.  Only issues I've had where when switching directions and occasionally when letting things down.  Just pay attention and keep your body out of the danger points.

They are real strong to.  Hauling hay as a teen, we'd have a flat a day on the trailer.  Had to preload the jack, then put my feet on the trailer and bounce on the end of the handle to get it to raise the last couple clicks.  Guess dad was too cheap to get my a hydraulic jack.   :)

If you have auxillary hydraulics on your tractor, it wouldn't hurt to plan to add cylinders later... 

On the flip side, if you have a slope to your work area, a log deck can do the same task and you only have to roll over level timbers, not uphill.  Doesn't take a lot of slope and easier to fab...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

I use them a lot... I keep one on every vehicle.
Some are made to hook a chain on so you can pull with them.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Alberta Wolf

Quote from: 21incher on November 17, 2017, 03:44:02 PM
I made one using a farm jack and it works good. I had to use a chain so it could flex around the log and pivot as it goes up

I have a YouTube video showing how it works i can post a link to if you are interested.  :)
Around here they are called a 'man killer'.But like one guy said his jaw still hurt,I must say the same  :D And I'm glad I can still say that,Cause I knew a guy (RIP) so that's why I very extremely :o leery of that jack,till I saw that guard around it .

firefighter ontheside

Yes, there's no doubt it could hurt you, but I'm very deliberate with each stroke of the handle to make sure I see the pin catch each time.  I think it would be more dangerous to lower something, but I never do that.  The log comes off in pieces and don't need to lower.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

The danger in a highlift is if the load slams down onto the ratchet mechanism while the handle is on the down position.  It flies up.  

Thats what a highlift to the skull looks like.  Threw me up onto the machine i was working on and altered the way my memory functions.  
Praise The Lord

Savannahdan

I grew up calling them tractor jacks.  Mine is a very important tool for moving logs in my limited space work area when the log is too big for me to roll using a peavey/cant hook.  I also use a shop crane with large rubber no-flat tires for lifting some logs.  
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Magicman

Ouch Mike, that even makes my head hurt!!!   :-X

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Wow Mike.  Sorry that happened.  I'm saving for a tractor that will do most of my lifting, but until then it's thefarm jack.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OntarioAl

I have a lot of respect for those jacks.
I make sure the pins are well lubricated and sliding in and out without any hint of binding before I use the jack.
I use both hands on the handle and slowly take on the load And watch closely that the pins cycle properly before proceeding.
The old ones made in North America had better steel in the vertical shaft the new ones made in China tend to bend >:( for that reason I will not buy or use a new one .I only use mine which I have had for years and I do not lend them or let anybody else use them.
They can be used as a winch and use to come with an attachment so one can stretch barbed wire.
Al
Al Raman

mike_belben

The chinese ones these days will snap off the nose casting before they bend the shaft.  Unless you have a lotcof weight way up maybe.  

What is most dangerous is when you havent noticed the roll pins that walk the load pins up and down the mast have bent and arent engaging fully.  

Never ever ever shift directions with the handle down, always raise it up vertical against the mast.  If the load pin jumps out of the hole it closes the handle.  a human mousetrap.  Lucky i lived. 
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

yea, I took one in the chin one day. I always respected them but one day I got a little to relaxed. its amazing how quickly one of them will bite you. I make it a point to never take my hand off of the handle. if for some reason you have to, make sure the handle can't move. If it drops just right it will release, then the handle will rebound right back up and start a chain reaction dropping the jack all the way to the bottom. Usually it won't get that far without taking out at least one person. When it starts to go just dive out of the way and let it finish.

mike_belben

Theres a guy on youtube builds dump utility trailers with them just for that reason. Auto downfeed.  
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

Just checked.....mine was made in Bloomfield Indiana.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I had someone

build one for me based roughly on what other mills have. It works pretty good used to use a winch and ramps this is way better......
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Thank You Sponsors!