iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood processor or not /

Started by Coconut, November 16, 2017, 05:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coconut

Hi everyone!   My question is this. If you produce 110 cubic cords of firewood a year is it worthwhile spending 30,ooo. dollars Canadian for a processor which is in very good shape ( circular ) ?   It produces 1 +  cords per hour. Please give me advice . Thank You  Coconut

Hackermatack

I guess you need to do the math and figure out how many cords of profit will it take to pay for it and what the life expectancy and cost to operate the processer are. At my age and with the number of aches, pains and worn out joints I have it would be a easy call.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Grizzly

I would also like to hear more on this. If that unit lasts 10 years (minimum I would think) you'll cut at least 1100 cord. So that make capital costs of $27.28 per cord. I don't know how much those outfits cost to operate so that needs to be added but for capital cost I'd sure like to buy one. All my sawmill waste could go through it as well.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

barbender

Coconut, you don't provide nearly enough numbers and info to go off of.
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

From what I know you live in a small rual area . If you are doing 110 cord in  sales now go for it . If you are betting on the come for 110 cord I would think twice .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

hedgerow

If you are selling 110 cords of wood right now and the wood you are processing will go threw a processor you shouldn't have a problem paying for a $30,000 processor.

TKehl

What would it cost to rent a processor in your area?

Would be worth considering since maintenance would would be on someone else...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

rjwoelk

Check out Hakmet for a palax will do a cord a hr if you have a log deck. For 2/3 that price. Or a fully hyd for under 30.000.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

jmur1

Some of the not-so-obvious but significant factors are the following:

1.  Type of wood you process is a big factor including range of diameters and straightness of logs.  Does this machine handle your wood?
2.  Average temperature that you are processing in.  Make sure the cooling system can handle your area.
3.  Length of cuts - shorter cuts will raise overhead and increase time significantly.  Allow for the extra costs if you cut shorts.
4.  Mechanical aptitude and of the operator - training and understanding of the large forces at work can greatly reduce repair costs and machine damage.
5.  Basic math says 110 Cords @ 1 cord /hr will take 2.75 -  40 hour work weeks.  This means the processor will sit 11 months a year and if you don't store it inside it will rust and seize.  Or rent it out.
Easy does it

Gearbox

I want one that will do 110 cord in 2 and 3/4 weeks . Mine will do a cord in 40 min. Why can't I do 10 cord in 8 or 9 hrs. OH I know you have to move the wood .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

starmac

What exactly is a cubic cord? Is that the standard 4X4X8 cord??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

barbender

Gearbox, the way I heard it with your's, the operator gives out and goes out for coffee after about 3 cords😊
Too many irons in the fire

Grizzly

2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Gearbox

Yes he does he is retired mabey retarded to .

Thank You Sponsors!