iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You can't make this up

Started by Bruno of NH, November 16, 2017, 03:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

On the planes it still makes me nervous when the pilot advises us the lights are fixing to go out and to stand by while he "Reboots" the plane. That does not instill absolute confidence in me.

As to the trucks I was talking to someone yesterday about the simple side rails and flat bed for loading like you show in your pictures. Sides are simply hinged and drop down to get a completely flat loading surface. When loaded the sideboards are lifted and connected to a short piece in the front with a barrel bolt type affair then the tail gate is lifted and pinned the same way holding both sides together. The military has used this for years but our commercial vehicles have not picked up on this design to any significant degree.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

All most all the trucks over there have the hinged sides. Some of the trucks are
really small.

My wife.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

plantman

In the US they don't want to sell you a utilitarian tool, they want to sell you are stylized product that gets your emotions charged up and willing to pay $70k for a pickup truck.

starmac

You can readily buy ones like the white one pictured above in The U.S. They are not safe  to drive on the highway and do not pass our safety standards, so most states will not tag them.

There is a couple of states that will tag them, Montana being one, a couple of guys have them up here and just run Montana tags on them.
While a few guys might want a cabover pickup, the market is just not here for them enough for the manufacturers to offer them, they used too, but no one wanted to drive them. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

Did you get your truck fixed okay?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pinefeller

saftey is overrated...

from Readings: Harpers Magazine Nov 1994
FATAL ACCIDENTS: THE BRIGHT SIDE

The following letter to the editor was originally published in the Arizona Republic. Author lives in Phoenix.

Every day some new do-gooder is trying to save us from ourselves. We have so many laws and safety commisions to ensure our safety that it seems nearly impossible to have an accident. The problem is that we need accidents, and lots of them.

Danger is nature's way of eliminating stupid people. Without safety, stupid people die in accidents. Since the dead don't reproduce, our species becomes progressively more intelligent (or at least less stupid).

With safety, however well-intentioned it may be, we are devolving into half-witted mutants, because idiots, who by all rights should be dead, are spared from their rightful early graves and are free to breed even more imbeciles.

Let's do away with safety and improve our species. Take up smoking. Jaywalk. Play with blasting caps. Swim right after a big meal. Stick something small in your ear. Take your choice of dangerous activity and do it with gusto. Future generations will thank you.

for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Kbeitz

Boy would I love to have this truck on the road...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pinefeller

lil frosty in the winter though..
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

starmac

HA HA, me thinks you might have to slip the clutch to get her moving when loaded heavy though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ianab

QuoteToyota still makes the hilux trucks with 22r motors. But not allowed to sell in the US because of safety and emission standards. Id love to get my hands on a brand new hilux!

The 22R engine was retired quite some time back. The new Hilux use a variety of engines. Locally they are a 2.8l turbo diesel, but in other markets they are up to a 4.0 gas engine, and so are basically a Ute version of the 4Runner, that Toyota do sell in the US.  So I'm not really sure why they don't market them in the US. Probably because they prefer to sell you a more expensive truck?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Stuart Caruk

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 16, 2017, 08:10:48 PM
Guess you all better keep on the ground... Today most all planes fly by
wire. All computer. No connections between the handles and the gear.
That's why I fly on Boeing products and not Airbus....
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Peter Drouin

It's not to sell a more expensive truck Ianab, It's getting a real truck. :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

LeeB

I've seen some outrageous loads on a HiLux. They are real trucks. I've often wished they were available in the States. The 4Runner would be more attractive to me if it came in a diesel version. Years ago Toyota sold a diesel truck in the US. It was a good small truck. My dad had one. Early 80's if I remember right.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kbeitz

I did make my own truck but it's not road league ...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

WV
Yes the truck is fixed and running well now :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

nativewolf

Quote from: DanMc on November 17, 2017, 12:24:20 PM
You think that's bad, just wait a few years!  Every automaker today is infatuated with developing full automation for their vehicles.  Some are further along than others.  Autonomous vehicles have various categories from level 1, which I think includes something simple like cruise control, to level 5 which means there is no need for a driver and it may not even have manual controls. 

Those of us that work on some of this stuff don't want full automation in our own cars, but it's what pays our bills these days.  The motivation for all of this is rather strange, it's like it's being forced on us.

Actually I can't wait for autonomous driving.  Hate hate driving.  What a blinking waste of time.  I'd rather look out the windows then pay attention to lanes, braking, speed, etc.  So, I might be a minority here but if a vehicle will drive for me, great.

I can't wait for the ability to load some logs on a truck and have it drive to a mill for me, even if I have to be in the seats.  Probably be at the end of my days but I look forward to it. Electric truck preferably.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

and while not a pickup you can buy good small diesel flatbeds (Izuzu, Toyota, Mitsu) that will go 500k without any issues you'll see on the Ford/GM large diesel pickups. 

The reason many many landscaper fleets have gone to Izuzu is the cost of upkeep.  Famous guy down in Atlanta with a huge landscape company, not just Atlanta any more but he has hundreds of Izuzu, it is what made him profitable he says. 

My large Hino (toyota) is great except for speeds, it is a slow slow pig.  It will carry a load up a super high grade but will only do it crawling along.  Anyhow, it was the first thing I ever restored so I'm keeping it. 
Liking Walnut

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pinefeller

i will never own a modern diesel or anything for that matter...they are so plugged up with modern emission crap, computers and the fuel is just as expensive as gas... whats the point? give me mechanical injection, or give me death lol!!

i bet all the foreign diesels would never pass our emissions and the cab overs probably wouldn't pass crash testing even though they would be super handy.  think about it, a cab over log truck would be like 8 feet shorter than our regular trucks..... why would we want that? way to easy to maneuver :D

plantman

I used to own a Mitsubishi cab-over truck with a 10' dump body. It was about 5' shorter than a full size pickup ! I loved that truck and it had a really tight turning radius which as great around town. I'd even drive it into lower Manhattan and park it on the street. It got almost 20 mpg and was easy as hell to work on since the cap tilted up and out of the way. It was a daily driver. Too bad the frame got rotten. It they made that vehicle just a little smaller it would be a great pickup.

Percy

The mechanical vs the technical continues. I remember as a kid, my dad and his buddies having a similar discussion back in the early 1960s. I was maybe 10
Years old. Power steering and power brakes and automatic transmissions were the scourge of "real" drivers as far as they all were concerned. Zip a head 50 years and the discussion continues.

IMO vehicles are so much better than they were back then. Tune ups every 10,00 miles. Motor rebuilds at around 60,000 and most cars and pickups didn't make much more than 100,000 miles. Suspension geometry, brake ant tire technologies have improved driving 10 fold from them beautiful old dinosaurs. And engines. They make more power and need less maintenance than their older counterparts. Yes, there are horror stories as there always has been. Overall, we got it much better then before.... IMO. 🤓
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

plantman

I'm not going to deny that the technology has improved considerably however I do think that today's trucks and cars are programmed to fail or be so expensive to fix that you have to buy a new one every 7 years. In fact, when I called a dealer they informed me that any car older than 7 years is not guaranteed to have parts available. To me, 7 years is like a new vehicle. LOL. I used to buy trucks that were 10 years old and have them for 10 or 15 years. Those were the good old days when you could spend a few thousand on a truck and just do basic maintenance. The price of these new vehicles is insane. I'm told that if and when the exhaust system on my new Ford diesel truck needs replacing that it will cost me about $10k.

nativewolf

I'm in the camp of I'd rather have a newer car than older.  No one thinks anything of a car getting 200k miles today and your pickup darn sure better get 300k.  However, flaws in the US pickup diesel did no one any favors.  The gas versions of the trucks have better reliability and that is screwy.

If I could buy a new truck I'd get a new dump diesel made in Japan and I'm betting I'd drive it until I was dead and never have a serious engine issue. 

Liking Walnut

pinefeller

its not about building a good product...its about building an acceptable product as cheaply as possible.... cars are built to fail, planned obsolescence. its big business and a huge chunk of the economy...lots of jobs. if it wasnt they wouldnt need govt bailouts :P

Quote from: nativewolf on November 20, 2017, 08:02:55 AM
I'm in the camp of I'd rather have a newer car than older.  No one thinks anything of a car getting 200k miles today and your pickup darn sure better get 300k.  However, flaws in the US pickup diesel did no one any favors.  The gas versions of the trucks have better reliability and that is screwy.

If I could buy a new truck I'd get a new dump diesel made in Japan and I'm betting I'd drive it until I was dead and never have a serious engine issue. 

japan obviously doesnt care about our economy but has to build a better product to compete. if they get too good though we'll just tariff them into submission ::)

in new england salt kills everything in 10 years and its coming soon to a state near you.!!! they just started in idaho,  and oregon is also supposed to start using salt too this year...

Bruno of NH

The salt brine they use on the roads around here is brutal on my trucks and I get them oiled every year.
The problem is folks won't slow down or buy snow tires.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!