iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About to reach the end of my leash!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 15, 2017, 08:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sawing this barn package for a customer.
He haS brought about 180 logs so far.
16 diameter and up. 90% 12 footers and the rest 16 footers.
The bark has just released.
The perfect sawing job.

The customer stacks and stickers his own lumber at my place until he is ready for it......and he brings help.
It doesn't get any better.

BUT NOW........for the 5th time in less than a year and a half the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR ( TPS ) goes out again. I hate this Kohler engine!
Ordered one today but the guy with the software and his laptop is on vacation until after Thanksgiving.

I'm gonna S C R E A M!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Go play some golf til he gets back  ;D

Or check into a diesel swap ... that sucks
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Thats enough time to install a new engine.
On the other hand, its also enough time to break out some of those special cedar logs you have and take a smoke to relax.  I can Amazon Prime you some tater chips.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Percy

I'm assuming this is the Kohler acting up again?? Is there a way that the throttle could be manually activated when you tilt motor /engage the blade??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

hedgerow

I would look the wiring over with a fine tooth comb while I was waiting. Sounds like a bad wire is causing the TPI to go bad.

Magicman

I hate to hear about more engine troubles......but

Goats don't scream, they get even.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D

Done been through this 5 times....I'll saw while it spits and sputters until the man gets here.  :D :D :D

sealark37

And Kohler was the class of the class at one time.  Tell us again how great those electronics are.  Regards, Clark

starmac

Man it sounds like something, somewhere is knocking those sensors out. Something in the wiring harness, the grounds or something.
It looks like woodmizer would be falling all over themselves to correct the problem, even if it meant a complete wiring harness, engine, whatever.

I feel your pain, efi is suppose to be more efficient, but how many gallons of gas is a lost day worth? There is something to be said for those old troublesome carbs, that got the job done for years, ofcoarse the govt doesn't like them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

pineywoods

That sensor is nothing more than variable resistor that feeds a voltage that's proportional to the throttle position to the ecu. Not much to go bad. I'd be looking for a loose wire connection between the tps and the ecu, something like a loose crimp. I have one of them mills with that same engine due in my shop sometime next week. It won't start at all. That's gonna be a learning experience.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pineywoods on November 15, 2017, 10:31:07 PM
That sensor is nothing more than variable resistor that feeds a voltage that's proportional to the throttle position to the ecu. Not much to go bad. I'd be looking for a loose wire connection between the tps and the ecu, something like a loose crimp. I have one of them mills with that same engine due in my shop sometime next week. It won't start at all. That's gonna be a learning experience.

An authorized Kohler mechanic has been over the whole engine....everything you can think of. The last TPS was a bad part and lasted less than a month. Kohler made the part good.  :D
Every wire, voltage, fuel lines, tanks, vents, O2 sensors....you name it....its been checked.

Magicman

I doubt that I would be satisfied.  I would have a hard time not pulling on and testing every connection.   Surely every engine is not having that many TPS problems?  I know that you are disgusted.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

A prudent goat would order at least two when the computer guy gets back from his little vacation.    :) Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on November 15, 2017, 10:59:39 PM
I doubt that I would be satisfied.  I would have a hard time not pulling on and testing every connection.

I think I'd have a hard time not pulling on the whole engine and tossing it in the goat pen!
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Grizzly

Prudent??? I thought this was Poston we were talking about!

Maybe he needs that floor layer from the neighbours place. Didn't he get found with a laptop with him?  :D  Or maybe that's where the failing electronics is coming from?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Brucer

Quote from: Magicman on November 15, 2017, 10:59:39 PM
...   Surely every engine is not having that many TPS problems?  ...

Creeping up on 2700 hours on my EFI Kohler, and never a problem with the EFI or the sensors. I tend to go along with Magicman and Pineywoods -- it sure sounds like there's some problem on your mill that's causing the TPS units to fail.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

I'd put in a 12 volt surge protector to prevent voltage spikes.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Peter Drouin

You should have junked it a long time ago.
But, your a good goat to keep trying.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Sorry to hear about your engine problem. Good luck to ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

leeroyjd

Can this TPS be taken apart and cleaned? Maybe it is much different than the TPS on early nineties Dodge with Cummins, but just a thought as they had to be cleaned or replaced faithfully every 30k.

warren46

You operate stationary.  Go electric.  I have yet to see a post about an electric mill not starting, needing an oil change or any other problem.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

WDH

Trade it in on a new, LT40 wide, diesel.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

It has to be operator error . . just kidding
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

nativewolf

I call BS on this "about to reach the end of my leash!"  thread.

Whoever heard of a goat staying on a leash! :D

Seriously, I like the idea of going electric anyway.  Hey...you'd save money  think of that Sir Goat..you'd save money. 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!