iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who needs chaps when . . . . .

Started by Darrel, November 15, 2017, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

. . . . . You have Charharts?

I was running my fil's old husky, this saw is bigger than my saw and has a lot more weight and power than mine. 

It only went through the first layer of fabric.  I do believe the Good Lord was looking out for me.

I am going to buy a good pair of chaps. Any suggestions on what brand is best?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Savannahdan

Wow, you're lucky.  I have a kit pair and need to get better ones as well. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Magicman

I bought my chaps when I did a similar thing.  I did not know that I had cut my jeans until I saw loose change (coins) lying on the ground and started looking for where it came from.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Have you decided on chaps vs pants?

Labonville sells some nice chaps. I like their regular full-wrap chaps (I find their competition series overkill and too bulky)

I have the Husqvarna Pro Forest Chaps (full wrap) and like them, but they don't seem to make them anymore. A friend has the Husqvarna Technical Apron Wrap Chaps and likes them a lot.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gspren

Through luck and being careful I haven't had a bad experience yet but posts like this caused me to get chaps a few years ago and I use them. Now after a few years firewood cutting and storm damage work the front of the chaps have quite an oil stain and I have walked through the briars without tearing my jeans so the chaps are a good deal even if their true reason for being never happens.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

drobertson

yes sir, that's a tail tell sign of needing some protective outer wear,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

BradMarks

Labonville chaps are reversible, the inside cordura layer (against the leg) is the same as the outside.  What this means is if you cut the left side (most likely for right handers, or vice versa for lefties) the chaps can be flipped around and that cut is now facing the inside of your right leg. Of course if the cut on the chaps is really severe, they should be discarded. As far as I know, no other brand with reasonable price range is reversible.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

BradMarks

DDW:  Need to explain that one :o  No chain brake, hand slip or kickback????

DDW_OR

GRANITEstateMP

Big fan of my Labonville chaps.  Mine are full wrap.  I don't wear them as much as I used to, since most of my cutting is done on the processor now.  Plus, they are made in USA, pretty sure here in NH
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

47sawdust

I've got both pants and chaps.The chaps are Elvex full wrap around,pants are from Bailey's.
Personally like the chaps better,I'm more inclined to put them on,so safer, and when I'm done cutting easy to get out of.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

I wear Labonville chaps. Really helps to have one store only 20 minutes and the other two 45 minutes away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tree-farmer

See "saw bite" in health and saftey board. Lesson leared the hard way. Cost $14,000 before all was said and done.  Great for predicting weather changes  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

DDW_OR

Quote from: tree-farmer on November 17, 2017, 05:37:12 PM
See "saw bite" in health and saftey board. Lesson leared the hard way. Cost $14,000 before all was said and done.  Great for predicting weather changes  :D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,81454.0/all.html

Darrel

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be doing some research on the various brands mentioned. Planning not to use any of my chain saws until I have some proper PPE.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ianab

Thing is that any Standards approved Chaps or Pants are 100X better than a pair of jeans.

Buy something that fits, comfortable , cool etc. Then you are going to be wearing it when it's needed. 

I wear chaps because when the weather gets hot, that's when I'm cutting. So being able to wear shorts with the protection of saw chaps is a big thing.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Klicker

I have chaps and pants. I like the pants best but some time it is good to just grab the chaps for small jobs.
2006 LT 40 HD

Savannahdan

I also use my chaps when I'm running the Lucas.  Keeps regular pants from getting worn out too quickly and they make it easier on the knees when I get down on them to work on equipment.  Knee pads usually don't fit good and the last time they caused bruising on the back of my leg.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Thank You Sponsors!