iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Real life chainsaw milling

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 15, 2017, 09:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Taking a trip down memory lane I came across this picture I took of a couple of men cutting boards with a chainsaw in Guinea in West Africa.  Picture is dated 4 November 2012 and was near the town on Forcarieah along the Kissadougou River.

These guys were just free hand cutting these boards and they are very accurate with it especially not to use any kind of jig or guide. I saw the sawing technique used all over Africa and they do the same thing down along the Amazon in South America and other remote areas of the world.

The people were real friendly and I got someone to take a picture of me with some of the neighbors.

Of course the women still had chores to do like laundry and preparing dinner. Utensils were a little different than our wives use.

Here is a typical wood working shop where the boards would be used.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

azmtnman

I take it you are the Caucasian-looking guy in the 2nd picture... :D :D :D :D
It's hard to see people like that and feel bad about what we don't have.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

WV Sawmiller

AZ,

Very astute picking me out that way.

Yes, we take so much for granted. These were some of the friendliest people I ever met. As I would walk down through the village you would hear kids yelling "Forte (For Tay), Forte..." meaning "White guy" for blocks ahead. The kids loved seeing themselves on the camera viewer and I'd get mobbed. Got lost one night and told some of my followers the name of our hotel/camp (we leased the whole facility) and two little girls grabbed me by each hand and walked me back though the alleys and back to the camp. One guy saw them and followed to make sure I was not some pervert child molester (which I greatly respected him for making sure). At the camp I gave the lead child 10,000 Guinea francs (About $1.40) and pointed to each kid and told her  "Une Bon Bon" (One candy) for each.

I routinely got invited into their homes and shops and had a blast seeing how they lived and worked and they seemed to be thrilled that I was interested.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Savannahdan

Hey, they copied the design of their woodworking shop from mine even to the engineer-perfect angles of support boards.  Ha.  I watched a youtube video quite some time ago about fellows chainsawing lumber in the Phillipines using what appeared to be a Stihl 090 chainsaw.  They also cut very accurate lumber with it.  I have to admit that it's got to be a lot cooler to be there and experience them doing it.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Thank You Sponsors!