Deer Camp 2017

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, November 15, 2017, 06:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

It's the most wonderful time of the year!  8)

I can remember as a child begging dad to please let me go deer hunting with him and my older brothers.
With his typical economy of words he would say "Not yet". No reason given, none expected. At age 9 he let me start squirrel hunting. Oh what a great time I had. My next older brother Chris was appointed my mentor, showed me how to look for shoot and skin a squirrel. Right then I felt I was ready to live in the wilderness on my own... till it got dark...

At age 11 dad started taking me out deer hunting. The deer population was pretty thin back in the early 70's and it turns out I wasn't a very good hunter. I would be in such a hurry to get to my spot that I would sometimes run one off on my way to the blind only to sit in complete disbelief that a deer wasn't about to sneak up behind me. I finally made my first kill in 1974 with an old .303 British Enfield with open sights. Dad estimated it at 150 yards. I shot it off hand. Really more luck than skill. I tried to gut it but Dad had to take over. He was a stern man and told me that as usual I was over complicating the process. We had steaks off of my first deer that night. Venison never tasted better.

Many seasons have gone by since then. My brother and I are now the caretakers of our cabin and I still get pretty excited about going up. Were heading out tomorrow to open up camp and do some bow hunting till gun season comes in this coming Monday. About 10 of our regular members will show up Saturday and Sunday and the excitement of opening day will run through us. Fixing up blinds, talking about sightings and these days sharing gamecam pictures.

I love deer camp.
Jon

My next oldest brother Chris (Left) and our buddy Wayne

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

coxy

yeper I look forward to it every year also I'm going tomorrow wanted to stay for 11 days but I fell way behind on work so ill be coming home sunday night but will go back every night to shoot the bull with the guys (camp is only 15miles from home) the week after turkey day one of my best friends is coming up from SC for a week I haven't seen him 10 years the last time we hunted together we was crossing a brook and well I made it but some one else decided to go for a swim :D as we where going back to the truck talking and he was b   ing about being cold and wet a nice 8 point got up from it bed  and some how he got it 8)  one of us or both always got a deer when hunting together  when I was younger I would take all 3 weeks and the week of black powder of and hunt  but when you grow up life gets in the way  :(   hope everyone has a great season and lots of fun

drobertson

Season is going on now here for bout another week maybe, near perfect weather too.  I don't go to a gun season camp, but I do go to our bow season camp, its been going on now for 15 years. Its a good time to get together with old friends, laugh, eat, hunt and pick on mainly me it seems :D  The camp fires are the best part, sitting around and often times telling the same ole stories,, HAA :D  I hope you guys have a great and successful time.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Thanks for the story, Jon!

Reminds me of ME, only 10 years earlier!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

well here it is the day before season and cutting the rest of my wood to fill the shed it was promised to be done Wednesday from someone that owes me a lot the only thing I asked is to fill my wood shed before hunting season   so ill be doing it tomorrow >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( to get it done  live and learn I guess no more mr nice guy for me

petefrom bearswamp

Just got back from my ADK deer camp.
Deer are scarce but my pal got a nice 8 pt 18-1/2 inch spread 160 pounds
I only saw one and my son and grandson saw  2 apiece.
To quote Deep enough for ivory bills by James Kilgo
"Whether or not I really want to kill the buck, I am not yet willing to forgo the company of men who hunt"
Sums it up exactly.
The quote hangs on our camp wall.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

I like that pete    that is the only reason I'm in a camp  i have 1100a  right behind my house to hunt and about another 1500-2000a to hunt in different spots with in 20 miles of the house  i just like BSing with the other guys in camp

trapper

Went to the same camp of my buddy's for over 30 years.  He dosnt go anymore.  Not the same group either.  sure miss it. I can see my blind from my house now.  I used to go early and set traps for fisher beaver and muskrat. More deer on my place at home but i miss the experience.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

Missed you this time, Pete!   :-\

Was going to show you how I coil, uncoil and invert blades!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gspren

I've been going to our camp in the PA mountains since the mid 60s. Back then the camp was owned by my dads boss at a small auto-parts store and by the early 80s dad, my brother and myself bought it since his kids weren't interested. Through the years hunting has been good for a stretch then off for awhile, now it's off but we will go there Black Friday and stay for a week then come home and shoot a deer in the woods behind my house, at least that's how the last two years went. This past Tuesday I shot a 6 point near our beach house in DE so I don't feel the need to hunt too hard in the mountains, just spend a week with my bro.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jeff

All by myself at deercamp this year for the most part with Pete gone. Lynda decided to go to Florida, which she is now regretting, and says she will be here next year. My friend Harold Bobo was here until Sunday. Tammy is coming up Thursday.  I have next to no cell service here and have no idea if this post is going to post.

I've had 7 different bucks in my scope since Wednesday, but won't shoot anything unless it has 3 or more tines on one side. Passing up bucks is way more fun than not seeing any deer like it used to be. This is the 3rd year of no does and it's making a big difference.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30