iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is new in the wood heating world?

Started by Hackermatack, November 14, 2017, 12:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hackermatack

I am in the process of designing our retirement home. We have burned wood in 2 out of the 3 houses we have owned and I am sure we will in the new one. It will be a single story house with a basement in roughly 1/3 of it with the remainder being a radiant slab. It will be energy efficient enough that heating with something other than wood would be affordable but old habits are hard to break. Also fire wood trees are rite out the back door, the property has enough low quality hardwood that I doubt I could live lone enough to burn what should be cut to make room for better trees. I suppose a hot water boiler of some sort would be the logical choice but the floorplan is open enough that a plain old wood stove would likely work. I am really not into outdoor boilers as I would rather not have to put my boots, gloves, coat, & hat on to fill the stove. I have a antique kitchen wood range that will be included in the design so adding another flue for another more efficient stove would not be a big deal. How about combination stoves that have hot water coils that can be tied into the radiant?
  Maybe I would be better off to sell 4 or 5 cord of dry wood a year and burn oil. I am just wondering what others are using and how you like it Thanks
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Klunker

whats old is new.
put a masonry heater in with coils for heating water.
use about 1/4 the wood you regularly use, light a fire once a day and more even heat.

Thank You Sponsors!