iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber carts

Started by olegunslinger, November 14, 2017, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olegunslinger

I need about 40 lumber carts total by next summer. We pile lumber 42" wide, 6'-16' long. Ideally I would like some sort of adjustable carts that allows us to pile different lengths using the same cart.

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that makes these, or does anyone have any design ideas that have worked well for them?

Thanks

Kbeitz

This is what I use. Army surplus... I make pallets to fit.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

nativewolf

Welcome!  That's a lot of wood.  Where are you located?
Liking Walnut

Ron Wenrich

40 carts seems like a lot, and you're going to have a pretty high capital expense.  You can pick up used ones at mill auctions.  That might take awhile for that many.  There's also an outfit in Ky named Froedge Machine that makes lumber carts.  They don't look cheap.  http://lumberhandling.com/solutions/lumber_carts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ewKxBAkOOU

You could build your own or have someone build them for you.  A lot depends how hard you'll use the carts.  We used 6 carts on our mill where we pulled off the green chain.  They got banged up pretty good.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

starmac

Kbeitz, beat me to it. Those army surplus carts are generally cheap, can be pulled with anything, and even have the advantage of pulling multiple carts at a time.

If you are wanting to pull them directly into a kiln, I am not sure how the tires would handle it though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

olegunslinger

Ron,

I looked at those from Froedge. We currently have some of those 2 piece carts, but I don't care for them because the back tends to move when you sling boards into the cart. The you end up with a pack that isn't square.

I'm looking for carts that are one piece, but the back is adjustable. I'm thinking I will have to go with a local fabricator but I just wanted to see what was out there!

Thanks

Grizzly

olegunslinger - look again lower on the page. They do have one piece units that I liked the look of. I don't have warehouse flooring so I'd like to see barrow tires or some kind of rough ground tires so I could wheel them around on packed gravel. But the one piece units lower on the page should to the trick for even ended piles and be able to band in place etc.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

starmac

now curiosity has set in, what are you doing that you need 40 carts for?? Curious minds want to know. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

olegunslinger

We are getting a new dry line to sort kiln dried lumber. All together we will have over 60 carts, not all of which will be in use at one time, but it allows for efficient changeovers, etc.

Alligator

In the 50s and 60s we had about fifty lumber carts made similar to this. We used the to tear down A-rack lumber and haul to the planer. We could pull about 6 behind a tractor. They telescoped in the middle between the axles and steered  on the front axle. The tongue attached to the draw bar on the tractor, the next one attached to the rear of the first and so on. Our planer infeed was set up so the tractor could just pull them thru to be unloaded on to the infeed deck. was before we had more than one forklift, maybe before we had a fork lift. I was small 5 to 8 years old. It's a quick simple drawing I can do more detail if you need.

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

PA_Walnut

Kbeitz, where do you score those carts like yours? I've looked, but to no avail.
Thanks.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

I see them every years at Fraley Auction Co., Inc.

http://www.fraleyauction.com/

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

irvi00

My dad scored some old airport baggage carts at an auction. They work great with 12 ft. or less lumber.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Seavee

The auction kbeitz listed is not far from me. I can arrange to pick them up if that helps anyone. I would like to by one. Just looked the auction closed. Someone got all 5 for $675.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

4x4American

There was an ad in American Lumber and Pallet they had carts there I can't seem to find that ad in the one next to me.  I'm not sure if TS MFG would do something like that I know they do some custom stuff though..

http://www.tsman.com/index.htm
Boy, back in my day..

campwags

I have just recently discovered Kory Farm Equipment that sells running gear and tops to make up your own lumber carts.

http://www.koryfarm.com/products/home-hobby/model-3000.php

The gear is $1,186.00

Fed Ex just dropped of the running gear I ordered from Sportsman's Guide... ;D  I will put it together and post on it.   8)
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

moodnacreek

If you don't have to back up you could use sleds.

Thank You Sponsors!