iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steam sawmill. Enjoy

Started by bigred1951, November 16, 2017, 03:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

bigred1951

Not sure if this has been posted before I come across it thought it was neat.

Chuck White

Nice video, thanks for posting!

I couldn't do it though, those "unshielded" blades make me nervous!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tim

Thanks for posting the video bigred.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Sixacresand

Quote from: Chuck White on November 16, 2017, 07:39:51 AM
Nice video, thanks for posting!

I couldn't do it though, those "unshielded" blades make me nervous!
MSHA would have fit with all the unshielded moving parts.  Loved the video.  Thanks
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bigred1951

Phillips brothers sawmill is the name of it. They have their own website.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with Chuck. Don't care for the exposed belts and blades and would not want to be the guy wading out into the pond to get the logs. First time I ever saw a 2 blade set-up. I assume that is for very large logs but looks like it would be hard to get them adjusted such that there would not be a seam in every board.

Thanks for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

Oak Run California, just outside Redding. They claim to be the only surviving steam operated sawmill of that size in the United States. If you are ever in the Redding area, it is worth seeing. Still family owned and operated. And a national historic site.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

moodnacreek

It's amazing someone kept a manual carriage that large and under steam running. Nice to see, thanks.

DanMc

Dang!  I wish I could like that 10x.

I mean the LIKE button.  I guess this will have to do:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

DanMc

While we are at it, here's a video of the steam-powered mill at the Rough and Tumble Steam show near Lancaster, PA.  This is a fantastic event if you are in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA7ocKRS-HI
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Iwawoodwork

Lets not forget the Hull-Oaks mill located west of Bell fountain, Oregon a few miles from Monroe , Oregon on Hwy 99w, the hull Oaks is a steam band that commercial cuts every day, they are great folks.  Before retiring I was an Oregon OSHA safety inspector for that area and when we would get a new inspector I would take them there for the reality experience, plus the manager was great to  work with.  As a clarification, MSHA does not have jurisdiction (msha = mine safety and health) they are over mining and quarrying.  (OSHA = occupational safety and health),  is the agency over milling, logging and woodworking along with hundreds of other occupations.

Darrel

Yes, Iwawoodwork, notice I qualified my statement by saying "they claim to be . . ."  I had heard that there was another large steam powered mill still operating somewhere here in Oregon. Good to know the name and where it is.
1992 LT40HD

Iwawoodwork

Hi Darrel, I threw in Hull Oaks in case there is anyone who would like to visit a large Steam mill.   I travel thru Sprague river quite often traveling to/from our place near Bonanza, Before purchasing the place near Bonanza I looked at a couple in your subdivision.  Also have an acquaintance that has 90 acres on the west edge of your subdivision I would like to own.

Darrel

Iwawoodwork, let me know when you're coming through and I'll put a pot of coffee in the old percolator. Can't get a cup of coffee in Sprague River unless you know somebody with a coffee pot.  The deli is closed this time of year. 

I lied, you can get coffee at the Squaw Flat Store but they don't have a place to sit down and drink it.
1992 LT40HD

Iwawoodwork

Thanks for the invite, I would enjoy looking at your mill.  I have 3 unassembled circle mills and fanaticize about getting one operating at the Bryant mtn place, thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!