iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ponsse HS10 Cobra Wiring Issue

Started by Wrenchman, November 10, 2017, 06:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrenchman

I know this is a long shot, but gotta try right? Looking to see if anyone has a pin out diagram of the 34 wire cable to the head on a 1999 Ponsse HS10 Cobra. Replaced the cable and connectors that run down the booom to the head today, old one was damaged while working. All functions now work except head rotation left and right (which wasn't the problem before). I have a feeling there is a poor connection on a couple of pins, possibly from bad crimps while terminating the ends. Don't know what wires to chase....

Thanks in advance!!

chevytaHOE5674

Never worked on one that old. The newer machines just have 6 wires down the boom. In my experience it is crucial to get the pins crimped on the wires tight and the screws in the connectors snug.

One great tool to have is a test boom cable with connectors so you can run it from the cab to the boom, cab to head, cab to boom tip, back of boom pillar to head, etc to pin point exactly which connection or stretch of wire is your problem.

bushmechanic

Your problem may not be related too your cable replacement. A lot of those older systems had a fuse on each one of the wires for protection of the computer in the event of a short. Check too make sure it's not just a fuse blown when you damaged the cable in the first place. Wait I reread your post and you say the rotation of the head? I have never seen the rotator wired with the head functions usually on the machine side and with the valve that controls the boom. Another note did you damage the hoses to the rotor and now there is no oil flow to the rotor.

Wrenchman

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 10, 2017, 10:35:03 PM
Never worked on one that old. The newer machines just have 6 wires down the boom. In my experience it is crucial to get the pins crimped on the wires tight and the screws in the connectors snug.

One great tool to have is a test boom cable with connectors so you can run it from the cab to the boom, cab to head, cab to boom tip, back of boom pillar to head, etc to pin point exactly which connection or stretch of wire is your problem.

Good idea! Will make up a test cable for future issues...Thanks!

Wrenchman

Quote from: bushmechanic on November 11, 2017, 06:11:29 AM
Your problem may not be related too your cable replacement. A lot of those older systems had a fuse on each one of the wires for protection of the computer in the event of a short. Check too make sure it's not just a fuse blown when you damaged the cable in the first place. Wait I reread your post and you say the rotation of the head? I have never seen the rotator wired with the head functions usually on the machine side and with the valve that controls the boom. Another note did you damage the hoses to the rotor and now there is no oil flow to the rotor.

I wasn't there yesterday when the owner put the new cable on, but says everything works but the rotation. Said the head will turn very slightly CCW, but will not turn CW at all. He followed the hoses from the rotator down to 2 solenoids mounted on the head. Didn't see any damage to the hoses.

chevytaHOE5674

H73 head? Blue vickers valves inside the head cover? Is so on the side of the valve in the center of where the electrical coil screws on there should be a small brass piece that you can push in with a small screw driver or punch to manually cycle the valve. That way you can make sure its electrical and not mechanical.

I've probably asked this before but where are you at? Down Escanaba way?

Gary_C

Could easily be the rotator has gone bad. If you twisted the head too much and damaged the cable, it's likely the rotator took a hit too. It's not uncommon, they do go bad and are not cheap to replace.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Wrenchman

Not sure on the model of the head, will see if i can find a tag on it. Came off a 2003 Beaver.

I believe I saw the vickers name on some of the valves. Headed down there now to work on it, will take some pics of it.

Yes, near Escanaba.

Will try the manual cycle and update. Thanks!

Wrenchman

Quote from: Gary_C on November 11, 2017, 12:48:58 PM
Could easily be the rotator has gone bad. If you twisted the head too much and damaged the cable, it's likely the rotator took a hit too. It's not uncommon, they do go bad and are not cheap to replace.

Good possibility....hoping not!

Somehow he snagged the 34 wire cable, cutting two of the wires inside. He didn't know he did any damage right away, then found out the feed rollers didn't work. Replaced the 34 wire cable, hoped everything was good, and now the current problem.

Gary_C

The one on my Ergo quit without warning. Would not turn in one direction and weak in the other direction.

chevytaHOE5674

If the head is off a Beaver then it is most likely an H60 series head. I'm not familiar with them but I'm sure they use the same vickers valves.

If the valve doesn't have the ability of manually cycle, you can also swap hoses with one of the other valves and see if that other function will make the head rotate (IE head rotate hoses on the head tilt UP valve then go in the cab and hit the tilt up button to see if the head will rotate).

mike_belben

Exactly what chevytahoe said. Most solenoid blocks ive seen had manual spool shuttle.  If not you may still be able to unscrew the coil pack from each side and see the end of the pilot spool.
Praise The Lord

Wrenchman

Here's a photo of the head, couldn't find any tags on it.

They are Vickers valves...of course the one I wanted to operate manually didn't have the brass pins to push in on the ends.

Gary_C

Looks ugly!  The snow I mean. Haven't seen any here yet and not looking forward to the day.

I'd guess a H60 or H53. Certainly not a 73. I hope you have the cover for that valve bank.

chevytaHOE5674

H60 or h53 as Gary said. Probably isn't the brass pin to push as a safety thing, if you pushed it the head could rotate and knock you over. Thinking back that's the what the h73e I ran was.

When the head rotate function is toggled do the lights inside that little plastic plug come on? If yes then I would swap hoses with another valve section and see if it works. Wouldn't be uncommon at all for the electric coil in the vickers valve to quit, O-rings in the valve fail, or the valve to seize up.

If the lights aren't coming on then I would start tracing wires back from that valve section to the machine. Being there are 34 wires going down the boom I'm guessing there is no node (computer brain) in the head it's all back on the base machine. Be careful with the electronics and possibly shorting things out in there I've heard that repairing that old Ponsse 1000 computer can be expensive/impossible.

barbender

Do not damage the old DC computers, you will regret it.
Too many irons in the fire

Wrenchman

Yes, the snow is ugly. Forecast for an inch, got about 4"....guess that's close enough for the weatherman!  ;D

Covers are just out of sight in the pics.

Wrenchman

I was out there by myself today, so hard to run the joystick and be at the head at the same time. Will check for indicator lamps tomorrow or Monday when I have help.

Do not want to short something out for sure! That'd probably send the owner over the edge. And I'd be looking for someone else to contract with....lol!! Not my machine, I'll let him break it.  ;)

chevytaHOE5674

Not sure on those old 8 wheel cobra machines but on the newer Ergo's you can jack knife the machine and swing the boom over and make the head touch the cab window. Makes it easy to sit in the cab and check head functions.  ;D

MT logger

Why don't you call Stacey in Reinlander he'd probably solve it in two seconds.

1270d

Take the plugs off of another function, such as knife or roller sections and put them to the rotate
   Any section that works to the section that doesn't.   If it begins to work at least then you know you have an electrical problem not a mechanical one.   

I agree with MT logger though.    Call Stacy or matt or jouni.  Or any one of the Ponsse guys.   Have you going in no time.   

Wrenchman

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll have him switch the plugs around, that should narrow the issue down. If not, time to make a phone call.

Wrenchman

Success! Helps when you have a wiring diagram to know what wires to chase. One of us switched up two wires in the connections....32 and 23 look a lot alike apparently. ;D  Now we can get back to work. Thanks for all the advice...appreciate it!

barbender

Thanks for the update, and glad you got it fixed!👍
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!