iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compact Tractor Tire Chains?

Started by John Mc, September 06, 2017, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I'm looking for new chains for the rear tires on my Compact Tractor (a New Holland TC33D). I use it in the woods for firewood harvesting and small-scale logging on somewhat hilly, rocky, and occasionally muddy terrain (I try to stay off my trails when it's muddy to avoid tearing them up).  I also use the tractor in the winter for snow removal. It gets used for lots of other things, but little of that requires chains.

I originally had ladder-style 4-link with v-bar studs (V-bars helped my get up my icy driveway in the winter). They worked OK, but I wanted to move up to something with better lateral traction.

I've tried some Duo-Grip chains with v-bars. Great traction, but the ride is shaking me (and my tractor) to death when I have to make a 5+ mile trip over the road to some other land I own.

I'm going to sell the duo-grips and get something with good lateral traction, but which has a better ride on asphalt or hard gravel roads. Two options I'm considering:
AquilineTalon Chains
or  Diamond pattern studded chains

Does anyone have experience with either of these designs - or recommendations for others I should consider? I'm particularly interested in "in the forest" use, and in hilly terrain. The vast majority of the time I'll be on prepared trails, but I do need to go off trail on occasion, and also use this tractor to help out when constructing new trails.  The rear tires are filled, if that makes a difference (I'm sure that doesn't help with the rough ride).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

I was going to get a set of Aquiline Talons for my M5640 but ended up with a set of OFA EKO9 chains (Made in Finland) after talking with people at Reed Supply. Take a look at them. You might prefer the EKO8's for you tractor, they would be cheaper. You can get a quote by emailing or calling Reed Supply in St Johnsbury. I just got them and have not mounted them yet so I can't say anything more.

gg

North River Energy

I"ve got an older version of the Aquilines on my Hough, with basic ladder chains on the back.
I have to drive a few hundred yards on pavement from time to time, and they feel reasonably smooth rolling along in second gear, with or without a loaded bucket.

Granted, it's a bigger machine, on 13.00-24's, but that link pattern should be an improvement over what you have.
They will mark the pavement in summer, if that's a consideration.
Snow/ice traction is ridiculous, in a good way.

Of the two patterns, the diamond version might ride slightly rougher, but that's just a guess.

47sawdust

I would also recommend Reed supply.They have a good selection and if you are part of their delivery route,they will bring them to you for a small fee.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

John Mc

Thanks, for the tips, everyone.

I'll check out Reed Supply - though I'm doubting Monkton, VT (in the Champlain Valley) is on their delivery route.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

You maybe surprised - they deliver all over VT and NH.
You will find the price of the 8 mm chains way way less than the 10 mm Aquiline Talons. I have had 8 mm Tellefsdal chains ( not available anymore ) on my 30 hp L3010 for 12 years and they are plenty robust for that size tractor.

If delivery or pick up is a problem I can help you out and meet you half way. I get to the Montpelier/Barre area pretty often.

John Mc

g_man -

I'm guessing these are the ones? (Hard to find a page with a good english description.)

http://www.ofa.fi/en/products/tractor-and-snow-chains/ekonew-page/2430/eko-8

I just sent an email off to Reed Supply to check price and see if their delivery route comes anywhere near me.

g_man

bill m

I have the OFA chains on the rear of my TC55 and they have held up very well. I think they are about 15 years old and have been on 2 tractors. They stay on year round.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

John Mc

Ordered a pair of the OFA EKO 8 chains from Reed Supply. Turns out one of their delivery stops is only about 20 minutes from my house.

Piston

Do you guys with the EKO chains have any issues with clearance?  I'm assuming not since you would have said something   ;D

John, have you mounted these yet?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

John Mc

Just received them Monday. I have not mounted them yet. It's too DanG hot & humid to mess with right now. I'll give them a try after the heat breaks, but I haven't been in a rush, since I don't really need them right now.

The V-bar Duo-Grip chains I used last year fit without any clearance issues (I will be selling them once I make sure these new ones fit OK). I don't think these will take up any more room, but we'll see.

Piston

I picked up a set of OFA EKO 9's for my rear tires, and a set of EKO 8's for my front tires.  I haven't mounted them yet but they sure were heavy pulling them out of the back of the SUV! 

I purchased from Windy Ridge Corporation and picked them up at their office in Tamworth, NH. 

In case anyone is interested, they have plenty in stock!  (Last year I waited too long to purchase and couldn't find studded chains anywhere)

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

John Mc

Just mounted my Ofa Eko 8 chains Saturday, and gave them a workout Sunday (Nov 12).

I had to run them a few miles over the road to get to where I was going to be working. I was operating at max speed: ride was very smooth over the road, and no issues with clearance. These are the first chains I've ever owned that specifically say to run them a little loose (other chains recommended spring or bungee based tensioners to tack up any slack). The NH TC33D is not known for having huge clearance, but these worked out fine - in fact, they seemed to do better than my old ladder-style chains (at high speeds, a rung of the ladder would occasionally bump something). I could not stand to run my Duo-grip chains fast enough to judge whether clearance at high speeds was likely to be an issue.

They worked great in the woods: very good traction both forward and when working on side hills. There is no snow or ice here yet, so they didn't get the ultimate traction test (coming up the east-facing hill on my driveway when it is iced-over), but I don't expect any complaints there, they should easily out-do the v-bar studded ladder chains I used for years.

Thank You Sponsors!