iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a Log Truck

Started by Corysansburn, November 12, 2017, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Grizzly, all I can tell you is that apparently the wheels stay on the ground better than the walking beams. The first year I hauled logs, there was only one other truck on the sale I worked on most of the time. I do have a locker in the rear axle where he didn't, but he had to chain all 4 even when I didn't chain at all, and I never chained anything but the front drive. After a month or so, he went and put a locker in his rear drive, and promptly slid back down a hill with one set on that I bare footed right ahead of him. He nicknamed my truck the mountain goat. lol

For some reason the crew decked some logs right at the top of a STEEP hill, I knew one of the sawmills trucks had loaded out of it the day before, so I ask the boss if he backed up there without chaining, he said he didn't even make it with chains. They pulled him with the skidder. He also said he thought I might be able to, so I said I am sure going to try. I made it fine, but as soon as the shovel picked up my trailer and took the weight off the drives, we skied back down faster than we came up. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Grizzly

I miss logging. Chasing moose at 2am while listening to the chatter on road channel. Just being one of the crew way out in the sticks. Those were good days. (and I was younger). I spent 2 winters around Grande Prairie, AB and then the next 2 winters hauling private wood from AB to BC. Chetwynd and Fort St John. Good memories.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

starmac

Ah, now I have been to Grand Prairie, chetwynd and Ft St John many times.

I love running the log truck, but don't know how many more years I will be able to. I take a swamper with me now to hook upthe trailer, tie down, chain up, etc.

We have been cutting 33 miles back in on the logging trail, it is sure nice to be way back in the woods and top a hill when the sun just starts peeking up. The moose, wolves, linx, grouse and rabbits, just makes one appreciate life, even though it is probably the lowest paying thing I have ever done with a truck.

coxy

i have been told the air ride is softer that's where the traction factor comes in  how many bags are you running  the 8 bags they say are junk off road the best is 4

starmac

I am running 4 on both the pete air trac and the nuway. three truckers that I run with some has he 8 bag setup and the older 8 bag is not so good, the newer 8 bag actually works off road pretty well. I have a newer 8 bag on a t 800 and it works well as far as traction goes, but have never really used it off road. As far as I am concerned the nuway is the best, and some of the guys I know have changed the bags out with the heavier 52,ooo pound bags, with the claim that they are even better. The newer freightliner air liner works great too.

mike_belben

Does your neway have two separate torque rods per axle or a single wishbone top link?   (ARD vs ADZ)

I think its the kenworth AG200 that was problematic.  The AG400 is supposed to be pretty good.  I think there were 4 models of "8 bag" if im not mistaken.
Praise The Lord

Gearbox

The only problem with AG 200 was the drivers . KW lost sales because new drivers didn't like to drive a row boat . The truck would body roll on corners but once used to it ,it was a 700 mile day truck and still had enough left to go to the bar .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

1270d

Perfect logging truck here

1270d

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

starmac

Can't use anything like that blue goose where I run, I do have a friend that has a rear self loader truck just for hauling his own firewood and short logs to his own mill. It works great for that, but can't haul enough to haul for hire.

thecfarm

That would get my attention coming down the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Boy that is an odd bird.   Is it a 6x6? 

Ford diesel power?  I cant think of many other passenger side injection pumps.  Volvo maybe?
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

...waaaait a minute.  Is that a 5ton with a bean picker cab?
Praise The Lord

1270d

It's called a polar prehauler.   They were built by Pat Crawford who is the inventor of the timbco feller buncher and owner of timberpro.   It's a 6x6 used to get wood off of a bad road to somewhere our 11 axle trucks can reach.

mike_belben

Love it.

Toploader rears on 4 bar walking beam in back?
Praise The Lord

barbender

Cool! For when the trucks start whining that you're using them like forwarders😊
Too many irons in the fire

starmac

That is about what it is, is a forwarder of a sort.

Maine logger88

Quote from: mike_belben on November 18, 2017, 08:22:00 PM
Boy that is an odd bird.   Is it a 6x6? 

Ford diesel power?  I cant think of many other passenger side injection pumps.  Volvo maybe?
Or Mack
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

teakwood

That truck surely has no air ride or air cabin.  :D :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Puffergas

The blue goose, now that is the way to get errr done!  Well done!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Resonator

Seen one of those one man cab trucks for sale recently, had a CCC (crane carrier company) chassis, seller did state it was for off highway use, and had "Brake issues".
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

How else are you gonna get that time machine up to 88, Marty?
Praise The Lord

coxy

I would love to have that  8) 8) you guys out there have all the cool stuff  >:( :)

Resonator

Looked at the ad for the one man cab truck again, said it was a 1973 with a 6-71 and a 8LL deep reduction trans. Showed an orange triangle (SMV) in one pic, so I don't think "Bertha" can quite travel through time, though driving for one day in it may feel like an eternity.:)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!