iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a Log Truck

Started by Corysansburn, November 12, 2017, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

Quote from: coxy on November 16, 2017, 02:30:55 PM
I think its like anything else they do get better every year or so  ;D

hasn't worked out so well for me!!   >:(    ;D  Or do I gotta wait more years yet?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Corysansburn

No air ride for me.. There not only unstable as soon as you hit some mud they tend to sink. I almost bought the same kenworth as pictured Grizzly even the Same color it was a 77 but he wanted too much $$.

coxy

Quote from: Grizzly on November 16, 2017, 02:36:36 PM
Quote from: coxy on November 16, 2017, 02:30:55 PM
I think its like anything else they do get better every year or so  ;D

hasn't worked out so well for me!!   >:(    ;D  Or do I gotta wait more years yet?
you got a couple more years  :D :D

mike_belben

Got my '74 for $1500. Sat for years, i did nothing but pay for it.  Fastest starting engine i own.  When i get it down here and titled ill probably find a walking beam cutoff and build bunks.   855/15spd.  19 feet of frame.

Ive never seen a pole trailer in person, lived all over east coast.  Maybe in maine?
Praise The Lord

barbender

Everyone's on air around here, including pole trailers.
Too many irons in the fire

killamplanes

Who said air ride, it's air-ride but still a teeth chipper. I have a log trailer for it. Run 2500 miles a month year around cummins 400hp, 9sp, a/c etc. These older truck can still be found but getting harder by the day.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

BargeMonkey

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

how many log trucks you own barge  ;) :D 8)  but how true that is

sandhills

Quote from: killamplanes on November 16, 2017, 07:01:15 PM

Who said air ride, it's air-ride but still a teeth chipper. I have a log trailer for it. Run 2500 miles a month year around cummins 400hp, 9sp, a/c etc. These older truck can still be found but getting harder by the day.
Add one more axle, a few years, and paint that baby blue and you'd have my "gallopin goose"  :) (just wish it had your engine instead of my 318 Detroit)  :D

sawguy21

We see a lot of 8 axle configurations, a tri drive with tri axle trailer and a jeep hauling tree length. These guys are running serious power. Some mills will only take ctl to minimize waste so hay racks are used, the logging contractors hate that as it is extra work and clean up in the bush.
sandhills, can you still hear anything?  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Logger RK

I kind of like my 79 Black Mack. But it could use more power & gears. But it's just a Eq mover & chip Van spotter.

coxy

Quote from: sandhills on November 17, 2017, 12:36:00 AM
Quote from: killamplanes on November 16, 2017, 07:01:15 PM

Add one more axle, a few years, and paint that baby blue and you'd have my "gallopin goose"  :) (just wish it had your engine instead of my 318 Detroit)  :D
ill trade you  a 671  ;D

killamplanes

I would hate to run a 67 2500 miles a month :o
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

mike_belben

Nice FL killamplanes.  Ive always wondered on single screw trucks.. Typically how much payload capacity on the trailer before you max out your legal weight on the drive? 

Im guessing with a wheelbase that short you can get a lot of it on the steer.. And the spread gives you 20k per trailer axle. Can you get 48k on the deck legally? Looks like it might.   Truck cant weigh much over 12k itself right?
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Just about all of the guys I know around here with newer trucks are all air ride and Ive never heard of anybody wanting to go back to springs.

sandhills

What was that sawguy?  :D
We had a 671 for a power unit on a well for years, not a lot of difference noise wise  :-\.

coxy

Quote from: sandhills on November 17, 2017, 04:41:55 PM
What was that sawguy?  :D
We had a 671 for a power unit on a well for years, not a lot of difference noise wise  :-\.
maybe not noise but power wise there is a big difference

starmac

Grizzly I run air ride on my log truck, so does most of the other long log trucks around here. Two of them bought trucks out of Oregon and Washington last year, both of those were air ride too.

I run pete air trac, which has worked well, my haul road truck has neway, which is way better as far as I am concerned. I also run a b model cat with a 15 over. 529 ss's I wish it was a little faster on the long hauls, but on the short ones it works as well as any new trucks.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mike_belben

Do you know which model neway youre running?  Any complaints with it? 

Im trying to buy an '89 LTL9000 with a 34k neway ARD234-6 suspension.  Hoping its good on and off road.
Praise The Lord

killamplanes

Quote from: mike_belben on November 17, 2017, 12:57:31 PM
Nice FL killamplanes.  Ive always wondered on single screw trucks.. Typically how much payload capacity on the trailer before you max out your legal weight on the drive? 

Im guessing with a wheelbase that short you can get a lot of it on the steer.. And the spread gives you 20k per trailer axle. Can you get 48k on the deck legally? Looks like it might.   Truck cant weigh much over 12k itself right?
Truck empty 13k, (not light) so with that drop van (air-ride) I weigh in at 30k (again not light) trailer has air over hydraulic deck leveler. IE raises rear of trailer to dock height. 20kx3 axles +12k steer 72k gross. 42k usefull. A mute subject because I haul pallets with that trailer and 2 other regular 53ft vans. 660 40x40 pallets hardwood weight about 25k. Actually rides like my other daycab as long as not bobtailing. Put 250 miles on today ;D

Grizzly

Good to know starmac. Makes for more options. My last logging days were in 97 and things have changed a bunch. I hauled here in SK but its quite a different thing.

starmac

Mike I can't tell you exactly what model number it is, but it is 46,000 suspension and a 96 model truck. It is the same as the heavy western stars of that vintage. I have an A model that I have a set of 46 out of a 99 international on air I hope to get under it this winter.

Make sure the bushings are good in that 89 ford, as it would likely cost more to have them replaced than the truck will cost you.

Grizzly. My truck is on air, the trailer is on beams, I have been told that you don't even want spring on the trailer with air, but know one guy that has air and spring.
I was told by several old log truck drivers that air was no good, but at they were all eating crow when I had to chain way less than any of their walking beam trucks. lol

starmac

Grizzly, the only part of Sk I have been through, you would have to raid quite a few city parks and peoples yards to get a load of logs, you must live farther north than I have been over there.

Grizzly

Chained up less??!! That defies everything I've learned down at the truckstops all these years!  :D :D

To what do you credit that? Less wheel hop? Or more even load distribution? I always liked my walking beams but now your gonna make me reconsider??

Yep. Starmacs. I live within an hour or so of 3 sawmills and 1 pulp mill. We're up north in the good part of SK. You can't watch your dog run away for days at a time. He'd be lost in the bush too soon.

Thank You Sponsors!