iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a Log Truck

Started by Corysansburn, November 12, 2017, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

That's crazy. But yes we run a lot of supper singles. But we are a axle state and need 700 pounds per in of tire. Truck I drive has 445/22.5 steers.

mike_belben

Quote from: Gearbox on November 13, 2017, 07:59:54 AM
In frame overhaul cost 15000 and up .

Inframe kits are under $2k for most mechanical engines.  Thats a lot of labor.   You can buy a reman 3406 complete for 10. 

The R model macks all went to guatemala. Same as the dt466.  I cut many.
Praise The Lord

Maine logger88

A oem rebuild kit and labor will cost 12 to 15k if you need to cut the counterbores then a bit more and that goes for all brands. Aftermarket kits are definitely less interstate mcbee makes a really nice kit for a aftermarket. Detroit cummins and cat are all pretty close price wise now a days there used to be a time when cat was more tho. Snowstorm is right on the a and b cats not having as good of Jake's as newer engines but they do help some.  The big cam cummins is the only mechaicle engine I've been around with a strong jake but they have there down falls as well. R model macks are a tough truck but it's getting harder to find with cabs that aren't rusted out and there's no leg room.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

Whip out the credit card because it gets expensive fast 😂, I want to say I went with the gold kit ? And a new head in march, couple sensors, gaskets, all said and done with labor was 15k on a C-12 doing it in house. That MBE had a small coolant drip, sent it to Detroit Allison, it had life left but not enough once you where that far into it, that wasn't cheap, kind of a weird looking engine. On an older mechanical engine if it's anything real serious we would buy a low mileage pulled one and keep the other for a donor, had a few 237-300, 3406B, 671-8v92s out back for yrs for parts.

mike_belben

I ran a rottler F80 at a diesel shop for a while

I suppose you can spend $15k on an overhaul if you want.  Telling people thats what they start at is kinda misleading.   It costs me about the same to do a full engine overhaul as it does to put new rubber on a tandem truck.  I did an out of frame dt466 with block machining, and flywheel, clutch, sliding clutches, bearings, seals and low auxialliary gear in my 13spd for $8k.  An inframe woulda run me $1300 or so. 

Making a living isnt sposta be easy, gotta work on something.  May as well be an old truck. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

There's a lot of price difference between a DT466 and big block diesels like a 3406. To the OP, from my experience, you can make it- maybe. You better love trucking,  because IF you are going to have a chance at making it, you are going to live in that seat. I've seen a lot of gugs buy a truck because they're sick of taking orders from someone- they want to work for themselves. Exactly the wrong attitude to have, because you'll still be taking orders from someone, and now you'll have a large investment hanging over your head. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'd just say go into it with your eyes wide open👍
Too many irons in the fire

Riwaka

In this study 2008, the average age of a Washington State log truck driver was 55 years old with 27 years of driving experience.

https://www.ruraltech.org/pubs/reports/2008/log_trucks/log_truck_report.pdf

I see this webpage mentions mentorship in company truck driving.

http://www.keeptruckingsafe.org/

What percent of log truck drivers start as owner drivers compared with starting as company log truck drivers?  Does mentorship exist in log truck driving or only in the form of the boss chewing the young log truck out when something goes wrong?

sawguy21

I would suggest finding somebody that is willing to mentor on his truck before jumping into your own rig (if his insurer will allow it). Off highway hauling  is not easy, there is a lot to learn. Being pushed down a steep muddy road by 80,000 lb really awakens the senses. Smooth and steady are the operative words here, a mistake can really hurt the wallet not to mention the driver.
Years ago during a period of unemployment and youthful exuberance I got a learners license, took the air brake course and started driving. It is hard work and long hours, throwing wrappers and chaining up two or three times a day gets old in a hurry. When we got home there was maintenance, Saturdays were spent at the truck or tire shop. It was good money for the driver, I wasn't getting paid, but figured out on an hourly basis it sucked. I decided this was not for me but he couldn't imagine doing anything else. He is now 68, been driving for 50 years and completely worn out, he still loves what he is doing but has to hang up the keys.
I don't know how it is in your area but here the mills don't hire the trucks, the logging contractor usually subs the hauling to a trucking company who may hire owner operators.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Firewoodjoe

Detroit 14L was $20,000 and the cat single turbo and twin has been 20-40,000. Yes one rebuild was $40,000 done by cat. These are large engines. Not c12 or dt466. Anything less than 1850 torque has no business pulling 164,000.

mike_belben

Im saying i worked at an independant diesel shop and have a real good idea on their cost for any of the big truck motors. 

The labor hours on a dt466 vs dd60 vs 3406 etc isnt much difference.  The aftermarket kit prices arent much different. 

Taking out your engine and bringing it to an independant rebuilder.. Vs getting towed into cat and  buying "the gold kit" .. Yeah thats a lot different.   The swipe and wait for a call that its done lifestyle has much higher rates than the climb under and roll in your own bearing lifestyle. Im living the cheap one and im quoting you my costs.  Ill furnish receipts if you insist.

Take heart new guys on a budget.  It can be done with an abundance of hard labor.  You better love work above all else.
Praise The Lord

Grizzly

When I started out with my 1st truck back in 1986 I knew very little. I went to work and earned revenue and spent too much on fuel and mechanics. I kept my ears open and learned from many, many mentors who each taught me something. As the years went by I learned more about lowering costs and earning better revenues. As time went by success became easier. We've had one post from a gentleman in WA who says the market will be steady for a few months at least and it sounds like he should know. The OP can definitely make this a go. The only question is whether he will enjoy the owner/operator lifestyle or whether he will find he doesn't. Just learn to love your wrenches and to love the truck. Just don't get lost and make the truck your mistress. Then you lose family, friends, and just about any social life you'd expect to have. I've seen way too many lose out on a good wife and family cause they gave the truck priority.

Just remember to give the truck that last little wipe with the rag as you head back to the house to be with family or friends. She's done the job and you've taken care of her and now it's time for life.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

mike_belben

Amen.  Ive nearly lost mine a few times over iron making us all suffer.  The wives have to understand that youre all enduring less joy now so that you can pass down equipment, skills, work ethic and a reputation in order to make the kids lives better and thus that its a win in the long run lifestyle.  Working together keeps a family close.  My 4 year old wakes up at 6am and puts his work boots on.  The wife couldnt see the purpose before he was born.  Thats our job. 
Praise The Lord

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Corysansburn

Thank you all for the good advice.
I'm not doing it for the money or for the lifestyle of being my own boss. I going to do it because I have a strong interest within it and I'm not scared of long hours or hard work. It had always been a dream of mine and now it's time for it to come true.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

barbender

Corysansburn, you can do it if you put your mind to it. Again, I just say have your eyes wide open. Consider hiring on for someone and driving their truck for a year or two. You'll learn a ton, and be better prepared to deal with your own truck if you choose to continue that direction.
Too many irons in the fire

Grizzly

Is this the style of rig your thinking of Cory? 5 axle truck and pole? Or what setup are you planning for?

mike_belben

Nice to see an A model making a living, flippin the bird at ELD and DEF. 

I saw a west coast log truck dash vid the other day coming off a cliffside.  NO WAY id have the nerve.  Id be white knuckled in a pickup down this thing. God bless those fellas doin that job.
Praise The Lord

Corysansburn

Grizzly, That truck setup is exactly what I am looking for. It is the most common setup around the northwest besides Mule bunks.
Mike_belben
The cliff and logging roads around these parts get pretty steep. You get used to driving on these roads though sometimes you'll be just out hunting in your pickup driving next to a 200ft cliff with your tire a ft away from the edge. I've been told by some log truck drivers it's the best experience ever and that adrenaline rush keeps them going.

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

sawguy21

That is a nice looking setup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Grizzly

Cory, then I strongly recommend against air ride. Back then none of them could handle any amount of uneven weight distribution side to side. One fellow tried it up here and his first load was a disaster. He switched to what we call hayracks and hauled short wood. I've run lots of rubber block on log trucks and found them to be most stable and because you haul the trailer back to the bush you don't have that nasty chatter from an empty truck. Lots of nasty things get said about rubber block but it fills a job description well. If the cab doesn't have air ride you can buy kits or you can buy parts and do it yourself. That is a good mod to do.

coxy

that's funny how in different parts of the world how things work around here  a lot of guys are going to air ride in log trucks straight jobs and truck an trailer

Grizzly

In truck & pole configuration too coxy? That's the only configuration where I've experienced that air ride didn't work. I hauled with jeep & pole with all 3 units on air ride and that worked. All of the hayracks I've pulled worked fine with air ride. Just truck & pole didn't. Must be a physics issue?

But your correct in that region by region thinking differs.

As I'm posting this I'm remembering that all my truck & pole work was off-highway and 12-14ft wide log bunks. Maybe that's the difference.

coxy

that could be  but from what I'm told by the old truckers that when air ride first came out the where horrible some worked some didn't  I think its like anything else they do get better every year or so  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!