The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Buying a Log Truck  (Read 3333 times)

OH logger and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
Re: Buying a Log Truck
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:24 am »
a dayton wheel uses a spoke hub and they are stronger than a bud wheel. 22.5 is not going away. the over the road trucks do use a lot of low profile 22.5. i run 12-22.5 they are about the same height as a 11-24.5

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 10:15:09 am »
Here in Western Canada all heavy haul trucks used to have daytons because the old budd wheel would not hold up. Very soon after the new budd wheel showed up we tried them on offroad log haul and had very good success with them. All new trucks were ordered with the new budd wheel. Now it is rare to see a heavy haul with daytons due to the success of the new one nut mount budd. We used to see all manner of cracking and breaking with that old budd but not so with the newer one. And that was on a unit that loaded to 200,000lbs on 5 axles. I don't like daytons unless you have a good tire man to mount them correctly and I am in favour of the new buds. What year did they come out? I know our early 90's had them but my '88 still had the old buds. Our loggers here would prefer the 24.5 profile tire but say they have much better selection of tire in 22.5. I'm only now getting back into ownership of trucks with the boys so i'll need to get educated again.

I forgot about Macks. You'd be hard pressed to destroy an old R model.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws
   2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 10:35:49 am »
It seems to me the R model Macks disappeared over night around here, they were everywhere a number of years ago. I can't remember the last time I even saw one on the road. My second truck was a R model a 1967 was a good truck.
Bill

Offline quilbilly

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:10 am »
You can make it, I'm not far from you. I haven't heard of anyone going under recently and know of two independent truckers who just bought new trucks and another who bought a nice used one. If you're willing to put in the hours there is money to be made right now. Market supposedly should be steady for the next 6-8 months
a man is strongest on his knees

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 06:50:11 pm »
Bargemonkey. Phasing out 22.5? 99% of tires sold and on the rd are 22.5. Including recaps. 24.5s are a over the rd truck around here. I don't even think you can buy a supper single steer in 24.5.
2x recently on both rims and tires if I wanted it in 24.5 I could have it right then, 22.5 was 1-2days, dealer said they just don't keep as many on hand. On a decent week we probably have 150-200 diff trucks thru our quarry, almost all the newer stuff is 24.5 and hub pilot. Rarely see a super single out here other than on the thruway.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• I'm new!
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 08:34:28 pm »
That's crazy. But yes we run a lot of supper singles. But we are a axle state and need 700 pounds per in of tire. Truck I drive has 445/22.5 steers.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 09:58:52 pm »
In frame overhaul cost 15000 and up .

Inframe kits are under $2k for most mechanical engines.  Thats a lot of labor.   You can buy a reman 3406 complete for 10. 

The R model macks all went to guatemala. Same as the dt466.  I cut many.

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 10:32:18 pm »
A oem rebuild kit and labor will cost 12 to 15k if you need to cut the counterbores then a bit more and that goes for all brands. Aftermarket kits are definitely less interstate mcbee makes a really nice kit for a aftermarket. Detroit cummins and cat are all pretty close price wise now a days there used to be a time when cat was more tho. Snowstorm is right on the a and b cats not having as good of Jake's as newer engines but they do help some.  The big cam cummins is the only mechaicle engine I've been around with a strong jake but they have there down falls as well. R model macks are a tough truck but it's getting harder to find with cabs that aren't rusted out and there's no leg room.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:47 pm »
 Whip out the credit card because it gets expensive fast 😂, I want to say I went with the gold kit ? And a new head in march, couple sensors, gaskets, all said and done with labor was 15k on a C-12 doing it in house. That MBE had a small coolant drip, sent it to Detroit Allison, it had life left but not enough once you where that far into it, that wasn't cheap, kind of a weird looking engine. On an older mechanical engine if it's anything real serious we would buy a low mileage pulled one and keep the other for a donor, had a few 237-300, 3406B, 671-8v92s out back for yrs for parts.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 11:03:07 pm »
I ran a rottler F80 at a diesel shop for a while

I suppose you can spend $15k on an overhaul if you want.  Telling people thats what they start at is kinda misleading.   It costs me about the same to do a full engine overhaul as it does to put new rubber on a tandem truck.  I did an out of frame dt466 with block machining, and flywheel, clutch, sliding clutches, bearings, seals and low auxialliary gear in my 13spd for $8k.  An inframe woulda run me $1300 or so. 

Making a living isnt sposta be easy, gotta work on something.  May as well be an old truck. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 12:44:03 am »
There's a lot of price difference between a DT466 and big block diesels like a 3406. To the OP, from my experience, you can make it- maybe. You better love trucking,  because IF you are going to have a chance at making it, you are going to live in that seat. I've seen a lot of gugs buy a truck because they're sick of taking orders from someone- they want to work for themselves. Exactly the wrong attitude to have, because you'll still be taking orders from someone, and now you'll have a large investment hanging over your head. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'd just say go into it with your eyes wide open👍
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Riwaka

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 04:37:00 am »
In this study 2008, the average age of a Washington State log truck driver was 55 years old with 27 years of driving experience.

https://www.ruraltech.org/pubs/reports/2008/log_trucks/log_truck_report.pdf

I see this webpage mentions mentorship in company truck driving.

http://www.keeptruckingsafe.org/

What percent of log truck drivers start as owner drivers compared with starting as company log truck drivers?  Does mentorship exist in log truck driving or only in the form of the boss chewing the young log truck out when something goes wrong?

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 05:31:49 am »
I would suggest finding somebody that is willing to mentor on his truck before jumping into your own rig (if his insurer will allow it). Off highway hauling  is not easy, there is a lot to learn. Being pushed down a steep muddy road by 80,000 lb really awakens the senses. Smooth and steady are the operative words here, a mistake can really hurt the wallet not to mention the driver.
Years ago during a period of unemployment and youthful exuberance I got a learners license, took the air brake course and started driving. It is hard work and long hours, throwing wrappers and chaining up two or three times a day gets old in a hurry. When we got home there was maintenance, Saturdays were spent at the truck or tire shop. It was good money for the driver, I wasn't getting paid, but figured out on an hourly basis it sucked. I decided this was not for me but he couldn't imagine doing anything else. He is now 68, been driving for 50 years and completely worn out, he still loves what he is doing but has to hang up the keys.
I don't know how it is in your area but here the mills don't hire the trucks, the logging contractor usually subs the hauling to a trucking company who may hire owner operators.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Firewoodjoe

• I'm new!
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 07:57:32 am »
Detroit 14L was $20,000 and the cat single turbo and twin has been 20-40,000. Yes one rebuild was $40,000 done by cat. These are large engines. Not c12 or dt466. Anything less than 1850 torque has no business pulling 164,000.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:34 am »
Im saying i worked at an independant diesel shop and have a real good idea on their cost for any of the big truck motors. 

The labor hours on a dt466 vs dd60 vs 3406 etc isnt much difference.  The aftermarket kit prices arent much different. 

Taking out your engine and bringing it to an independant rebuilder.. Vs getting towed into cat and  buying "the gold kit" .. Yeah thats a lot different.   The swipe and wait for a call that its done lifestyle has much higher rates than the climb under and roll in your own bearing lifestyle. Im living the cheap one and im quoting you my costs.  Ill furnish receipts if you insist.

Take heart new guys on a budget.  It can be done with an abundance of hard labor.  You better love work above all else.

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 10:23:40 am »
When I started out with my 1st truck back in 1986 I knew very little. I went to work and earned revenue and spent too much on fuel and mechanics. I kept my ears open and learned from many, many mentors who each taught me something. As the years went by I learned more about lowering costs and earning better revenues. As time went by success became easier. We've had one post from a gentleman in WA who says the market will be steady for a few months at least and it sounds like he should know. The OP can definitely make this a go. The only question is whether he will enjoy the owner/operator lifestyle or whether he will find he doesn't. Just learn to love your wrenches and to love the truck. Just don't get lost and make the truck your mistress. Then you lose family, friends, and just about any social life you'd expect to have. I've seen way too many lose out on a good wife and family cause they gave the truck priority.

Just remember to give the truck that last little wipe with the rag as you head back to the house to be with family or friends. She's done the job and you've taken care of her and now it's time for life.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws
   2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:55 am »
Amen.  Ive nearly lost mine a few times over iron making us all suffer.  The wives have to understand that youre all enduring less joy now so that you can pass down equipment, skills, work ethic and a reputation in order to make the kids lives better and thus that its a win in the long run lifestyle.  Working together keeps a family close.  My 4 year old wakes up at 6am and puts his work boots on.  The wife couldnt see the purpose before he was born.  Thats our job. 

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 04:00:31 pm »
Well said Grizzly!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline Corysansburn

• I'm new!
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 04:02:16 pm »
Thank you all for the good advice.
I'm not doing it for the money or for the lifestyle of being my own boss. I going to do it because I have a strong interest within it and I'm not scared of long hours or hard work. It had always been a dream of mine and now it's time for it to come true.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:04 pm »
Atta boy