iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Band boxes

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 12, 2017, 12:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

A year or so back I built wooden boxes to transport and store my bands. Used 4/4 strips 2" wide with luann siding. First built same size as cardboard box they came in. turned out to be too small because I lost an inch on each side for the strips so I made them longer. I hinged them on one end and installed rope handles on the other side so when lifted the boxes closed. Final sizes about 40" X 36" X 4" and designed to carry a set of bands on each side. Turned out this was too big and too heavy to easily lift and carry especially when I had 30 or so bands inside.

I took a bunch of 1" X 1" X 36 stacking strips and cut 1X6 squares and cut in half into 45 degree wedges for corners and used them to join the strips. I cut one side off to 34" and left the other 36" long. I joined them on the 34" side with piano hinges about 28" long I bought for $5 per set.

I sawed a bunch of 3/8" X 6" boards from a scrap wormy pine log and a short poplar log in stock and made 36" & 34" wide boards as the logs allowed. One was just under 6' but would provide 68" boards cut into half for the 34" ones. I stickered and let them dry a couple of months then nailed them on the sides of the boxes using 8 penny nails. I actually started with screws but took too long and cost more. I installed more rope handles as on the original boxes.

I built a separate box for each size and profile band I use and one extra to store my used bands in. I ship mine all back together and the guys at Resharp separate and label them well on return.

I may add some small wooden pieces inside as guides to hold the bands in place as others have done and may caulk the seams to make them more water tight after a few more months when I figure the wood is completely dry.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crusarius

I like that. Been working on integrating blade storage into the mill itself. I was thinking drawers.

Crossroads

Nice work, I made 2 boxes a couple weeks ago of similar size, except mine have solid sides and are open on one end. I haven't decided if I like them or not yet, but it's better than the cardboard boxes laying in the rain or riding in the extra cab. The resharp in my area has been inconsistent on sorting. I sent them in mixedand they sent them back mixed. I dropped them off sorted and separated, they sent them back mixed. I sent them in mixed and got 2 boxes returned lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Cru,

I had never thought about it but it would not be too hard to ratchet strap them across the bed rails for transport. I just combat load my truck with the bands put on last so I can access them easily when I get to the site but if I ever get tight on cargo space I'll try that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

Wouldn't be hard to retrofit them onto the mill. just have a spot for sawdust to build up unless you take them off before sawing.

WV Sawmiller

Cru,

My suggestion would be temporary for transport only. I would plan on removing them at the site prior to the start of each sawing job.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

Truly ingenious. I am glad that is working for you. That wasn't working well for me and some others of us. I'm just showing an option that works for me till I come up with a better idea. Will probably be one I borrow from someone else here on the Forum.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

I think your boxs are great, and I'm happy for you.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 13, 2017, 06:16:29 PM
Cru,

My suggestion would be temporary for transport only. I would plan on removing them at the site prior to the start of each sawing job.
Not sure about your mill but on mine one can place a box like yours vertically in the bay right between the loader arm and the saw head (just forward of the saw head). Speaking of mill in travel configuration. It can't fall out there.   I carry mine in the truck bed vertically next to drivers side wheel well, 2-4 flat pack type plywood boxes at a time.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!