iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Country SC

Started by dgdrls, November 12, 2017, 12:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Quick visit to the Low Country of South Carolina,  love the area and vacation here regularly

WDH

Eat some shrimp and grits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

Quote from: WDH on November 12, 2017, 08:11:58 PM

My bride had some for lunch in Charleston,  wow!!  that was a fine lunch

D

WV Sawmiller

Nice country but real different. People wanted to build along the high ground overlooking the huge marshes along the New River and such. Live Oaks with Spanish Moss, pine trees and lots of marsh grass. I remember tides of 6-8 feet a couple times a day many times of the year.

I spent 3.5 years there at Beaufort/Parris Island when I was in USMC. Daughter was born there. You had to get used to the mosquitoes and sand fleas and heat and humidity. I swear when you'd come to attention and salute at morning and evening colors every bug in the area would rush out for a free meal.

We found out about the clamming and my wife and her friends would take son's little red wagon and a couple of tater rakes to the Ribeuat Monument at the golf course and she and friends would dig a 5 gallon bucket full between the time the tide went out and started back in - about 2 hours or less. It was like carrying 2 cement blocks up a slippery, greasy mud bank but the ladies loved it. Fishing in the Combahee and Ashepoo River was good. There sure were lots of big gators down there feasting on the fish and turtles stranded in the pools at low tide.

Savannah and Charleston were very old and interesting downs with some great seafood restaurants. Our favorite was Tego Bay with Calabash style in Charleston. We visited there 2 years ago in March and had a real good time in the local parks, Charleston and Savannah and visiting old friends who live there. We drove past our old house and my wife said "They put a new roof on!" My daughter told her "Mom, its been over 30 years. Of course they replaced the shingles on the roof."

On our last trip we saw several armadillos in the parks and around old plantations. I don't remember them being there in the late 1970's to early 1980's when we were there. I guess they migrated on north from Georgia but I don't know how they crossed the New River and several others there.

There is a lot of unique beauty down there but it does take some getting used to.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

Quote from: WDH on November 12, 2017, 08:11:58 PM
I'd be in for the shrimp but forgo the grits myself . :D

florida

I grew up on James Island south of Charleston. It was a different city then, antiquated and things happened slowly. Civil War history was everywhere and lots of buildings in downtown still had bullet holes and chunks knocked out from cannon balls. The Seige of Charleston was the longest battle of the Civil War and basically lasted from the first shot fired until Lee surrendered. A great place to visit is the Lasch Center, Saturdays only, and see the CSS Hunley.

If you really want to see lowcounty unspolied beauty  go toward Beaufort and see the ACE basin. It really is breath taking.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Al_Smith

I haven't been in Charleston for ages which was when I was in the navy and that was a long time ago .However as I type one of the submarines I was on is having a reunion this year at that location which I look forward to .Some of those old coots,which I am one of can nearly be as ornery at 70 years of age and older as they were 50 years ago .Lots of fun to say the least  8)

thecfarm

I kinda like it when someone will say,they are old,that's why they are like that. ::) Well I have known some of them for 30 years and they was the same way at 40 as 70 years old.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Have a great visit. My daughter, SIL and Grandson went to Savannah about 120 miles south of there a week or so back. He went to college there and they both love the area.

Have a great time at the reunion. I have worked with a couple of submariners on various assignments around the world and I am convinced all that pressure and bumping your heads all the time does things to you. :D Have a great time and thanks to you and your pals for your especially demanding service.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!