The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Low Country SC  (Read 219 times)

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
Low Country SC
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:09:19 pm »
Quick visit to the Low Country of South Carolina,  love the area and vacation here regularly

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Low Country SC
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »
Eat some shrimp and grits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:10:43 pm »
Eat some shrimp and grits.

My bride had some for lunch in Charleston,  wow!!  that was a fine lunch

D

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »
   Nice country but real different. People wanted to build along the high ground overlooking the huge marshes along the New River and such. Live Oaks with Spanish Moss, pine trees and lots of marsh grass. I remember tides of 6-8 feet a couple times a day many times of the year.

I spent 3.5 years there at Beaufort/Parris Island when I was in USMC. Daughter was born there. You had to get used to the mosquitoes and sand fleas and heat and humidity. I swear when you'd come to attention and salute at morning and evening colors every bug in the area would rush out for a free meal.

We found out about the clamming and my wife and her friends would take son's little red wagon and a couple of tater rakes to the Ribeuat Monument at the golf course and she and friends would dig a 5 gallon bucket full between the time the tide went out and started back in - about 2 hours or less. It was like carrying 2 cement blocks up a slippery, greasy mud bank but the ladies loved it. Fishing in the Combahee and Ashepoo River was good. There sure were lots of big gators down there feasting on the fish and turtles stranded in the pools at low tide.

Savannah and Charleston were very old and interesting downs with some great seafood restaurants. Our favorite was Tego Bay with Calabash style in Charleston. We visited there 2 years ago in March and had a real good time in the local parks, Charleston and Savannah and visiting old friends who live there. We drove past our old house and my wife said "They put a new roof on!" My daughter told her "Mom, its been over 30 years. Of course they replaced the shingles on the roof."

On our last trip we saw several armadillos in the parks and around old plantations. I don't remember them being there in the late 1970's to early 1980's when we were there. I guess they migrated on north from Georgia but I don't know how they crossed the New River and several others there.

There is a lot of unique beauty down there but it does take some getting used to.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"