iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need some help (up dated)

Started by Bruno of NH, November 11, 2017, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

The pin that holds my head lift in lock on my up/down head winch slipped on the # 40 roller chain and let the hand crank handle free wheel it went wild sucked my hand in and broke my hand and hurt my wrist and arm pretty bad :(
I'm going to replace the worn chain and want to remove the handle and put a 90 to 1 tarp motor on and remove the handle before anyone else gets hurt
I'm not a fab guy
I will post pics of the setup tomorrow and I'm open to suggestion on how to do this
I will post pics of my hand to
Anyone with a Thomas mill please be careful of this !!!
Thanks Bruno
I hope my luck changes soon !
It's been a tough year
I guess you make your own luck :(
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kelLOGg

I added the same to my mill and I would do it for you if we were nearby. I love to do such mods".
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

78NHTFY

So sorry to hear you got hurt!  Am no fab guy either but am sure some guys here will help with suggestions.  Let's all stay safe.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

dgdrls

Ayh!  sorry u got hurt, take care of that arm,    intetested in seeing the mod. 

D

4x4American

Why not call up Thomas, tell them what happened and see if theyd be willing to work with you?

Sorry to hear you got hurt, always sucks hope you heal uo quick at least its nice time to sit in front of the wood stove
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

That is too bad.  :(  I have the old style,but I will still look at it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Thanks Guys
4x4 no rest for me
Was out there first thing this morning puting things back together
The head dropped hard did a full alinement of the mill back cutting great but don't trust the worn chain off to Runnings in the am for some new # 40 roller chain to get back at it have a lot of orders to get at .
I will run it with the handle but that thing will go if not the mill will head off
I like my mill
I had a plan in place to add a swing mill to my operation and keep my bandmill
No one in my area has a swing mill
I get lots of large pine logs 40" plus
I also like the idea of circle saw marks on the wood that looks great on a floor
Was also going to get a Thomas Edger keeping spending my money some what local like I ask my customer to do
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I have had a great year with the mill business and I don't want to let up :)
This place has helped me more than most would know
I'm very great full for that :)
I got to quit punching my self in the face with my health issues it's starting to get old :)
I like punching the $20's into my pocket with the mill much better :)

Magicman

Stay Strong my friend, Stay Strong.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

When I started building my mill I put a boat winch on it.
Then I seen that you could buy a worm winch new off E-bay
for $43.00. One of the best mods that I have done to my mill.
Later I put a wheelchair motor on it. They wont turn when you
let go of the handle.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

Sorry to hear of the injury.  We will help if we can.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Don P

I'd talk to Thomas Monday morn. Approach it right, they will want to know and you'll get the first new model.

Bruno of NH

The hand and wrist/forearm right after it happened

Magicman

I say Ouch, you say DanG!!!    :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I know how it feels... This spring my son jumped on my winch cable
as I was reaching for the handle. I though it took my arm off.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

campwags

If it wern't for bad luck...  :(     :'(   

I hope you get better and a broken hand is no fun, from a retired X-Ray Man.

If I can be of any help, let me know...I am near by. 
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Peter Drouin

What are you doing over there?? Is that your bad arm or the good one??
I know you're a hard working bull of a man, but, you got to slow down just a little.
I don't mean to give ya hell, but I hate to see you this way. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Peter
I worked today making custom cuts on some slabs I sold.
I'm also building the mill yard bigger and scaled some logs
My fingers are black and blue right to the tips
It's some sore good thing it's cold out don't hurt till I go inside :)

Peter Drouin

smiley_bull_stomp smiley_horserider
I know. It's how we are in the North East
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Bruno, please show us a picture of the offending part so we can reengineer it to be safer and even failsafe. It doesn't seem right that roller chain would wear out at the speed its turned to support the head. Could it be an adjustment.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bruno of NH

Frank
I have adjusted it  many times
I had this problem since it was new
At 9" through 10" on the scale
I will get pics on today

YellowHammer

It does seem there is significant room for improvement, to say the least, especially if you have had to fiddle with it from the beginning.  Anytime there is a mechanical failure like that, especially one that causes a significant injury, its time to take a think and do some learning.  I would think the manufacturer would be very interested to hear about this and do some "learning". 

Take care of your arm. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Please under stand I'm not slamming Thomas Bandsaw Mills
I like this mill the frame for a manual mill is the best in the business in my opinion.
I called Thomas today and the owner is out for a bit and i know he will can me.
I even started an owners group on FB this summer :)
I can't afford to get hurt or anyone else for that matter again this year :(
Some pics

Bruno of NH

The only thing I have ever been good at is working :)
I'm not the smartest or good at sports
Don't hunt or fish
Just want to get back running the mill safely :)
Thanks Bruno

Don P

I'm liking KBietz's worm drive unit with a sprocket where the cable drum is for the chain. That unit is sort of self locking. In fact, you could put some form of adjustable friction to the right side of that drum, enough to keep it from drifting at all but still easy to adjust. It could also have miter gears instead of sprockets and on the ends of a rod that runs where the chain does?

Thank You Sponsors!