iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips for freeing stuck undercarriage

Started by Maine logger88, November 11, 2017, 05:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

My new to me E120B cat excavator was used loading a manure pile and then sat for quite awhile before being used again and now the chains are froze up bad it barely will travel straight and forget turning without help from the bucket. I am wondering if I can just loosen the tracks and run it hoping they will free up or if I should do something else?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mike_belben

I always heard to park it in water.. Supposed to work miracles but i couldnt say, no experience.  If you cant get it into a puddle (or dig one in place) maybe dump waste motor oil on the chains and let it work in.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

On second thought.. Hand sprayer and a diesel/motor oil mix.  Hillbilly penetrant, weed killer, stump burner, insecticide, fence paint, wood sealer, flea and tick ointment and general antiseptic
Praise The Lord

maple flats

Since it likely has no blade, face the cab to either side, and use the boom/bucket to raise one track 6-12" off the ground, then pressure wash it. Next, run that track only, several revsThen lube all rollers with the proper grease or oil. Next, run that track only, several revs in each direction. Set that side down and then repeat on the other track., when lubing, set it on the ground for safety.
If it does have a blade, use the blade on one end and the bucket on the other and lift the whole machine 6-12".
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

coxy

my buddy has the same trouble with his case loader after pushing grass silage and not cleaning the tracks  the grass is like concrete after drying  the water trick my work even if you can use a garden hose to get them good an wet  and run it one track at a time like maple said

Maine logger88

Great ideas guys I will try them! The machine is in the shop right now with the cylinder head off it cause it was pushing coolent as well but when I get it out I will take the steam cleaner to it and try running the track off the ground adding some lube as I go! Mike don't forget for those of us in the northeast vehicle rust protection 8)
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mike_belben

Im from massachusetts.  Ive sprayed a lotta motor oil!
Praise The Lord

coxy

Ford_man

Ed_K

I did the same as maple flats. Only I used light hydro oil on a TD6.
Ed K

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

tacks Y

With my TD8E, I removed and pressed them a part and back together. Tried oil and fuel, I had got ash on them before parking for the winter. Chains were like new so they froze up bad. Good luck.   

Thank You Sponsors!