iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap Walnut Logs ?????

Started by Jjoness4, November 11, 2017, 10:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

The gunstocks are nice.  So is the quartersawn oak cabinet in the background.  Did you make it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Downstream

I agree those stocks are great.  How thick do you cut the blanks?  I have an old stevens 22/410 over under that has the bakelite stocks that are missing pieces.  I have wanted to make new walnut replacements for awhile.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

BigZ La

Beautiful job. Such great craftsmanship

ToddsPoint

Quote from: tule peak timber on November 14, 2017, 09:39:48 AM
Quote from: ToddsPoint on November 14, 2017, 04:58:14 AM
Quote from: nativewolf on November 12, 2017, 10:12:48 AM
Toddspoint, that is a very very nice pile of crotch.  Again, I could sell that in log form for much more than the $200. 

Out of curiosity what did you do with that much gunstock?  We are starting to cache some smaller crotches and really special ones that just don't make sense to export.

I'm stashing all I cut for myself.  I'll have enough for the rest of my days.  Then you can buy the rest from my widow. :D  I stocked other peoples guns for 35 yrs., now I'm retired and doing my own for a change.  Here's some drying and some I finished.  Gary

Great pics,,,beautiful work ! I'm curious , do you ever buy California walnuts for your stock business ? Rob

Sure, I've made Claro and English walnut stocks from CA.  I have a Black Walnut blank from Yolo Co. CA that came from a 7' dia. tree.  The tree was hollow and someone was living in it!  CA has the most beautiful walnut but I like using my local wood just as well.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

ToddsPoint

Quote from: WDH on November 14, 2017, 08:08:26 PM
The gunstocks are nice.  So is the quartersawn oak cabinet in the background.  Did you make it?

Thanks WDH.  That's my wife's spongeware pottery cabinet.  No, I didn't make it.  I've never tried furniture and wouldn't know where to begin.  Gary

ToddsPoint

Quote from: Downstream on November 14, 2017, 10:04:55 PM
I agree those stocks are great.  How thick do you cut the blanks?  I have an old stevens 22/410 over under that has the bakelite stocks that are missing pieces.  I have wanted to make new walnut replacements for awhile.

Hi Mike.  I mill the wood 11/4.  That will cover any stock, like rifle stocks with a cheek piece.  More than you actually need for thinner stocks like a little .22 rifle or similar.  11/4 gives the guy that runs the duplicator machine plenty of material set up like he wants.  The duplicator changes it from a blank to a semi-finished stock and saves hours and hours of time.

I mill the crotch and then I mark the gunstock blank and cut it out immediately.  Seal the ends and the feather pattern and hang it.  You don't want to sticker slabs to make gunstocks.  You want that blank cut free and hanging so it can twist in the wind.  All internal stress will be relieved that way. 

The feather pattern will check if not sealed.  Also, it's better to mill crotches in the fall/winter.  A fresh cut crotch blank going into the heat of summer in my barn will cause checks for sure.  Some of them get checks no matter what you do.  Gary

tule peak timber

Thanks for the reply. The broker that I buy most of my walnut from is a gunstock and burl processor. I use all my walnut for furniture and mill work and stay clear of the whole gunstock thing as I do not understand it. The broker will typically buy entire groves of premium trees and sort out the best to veneer and high end stock cutters then sell the rest to me. This arrangement  gives me a break on the price and  my customer base just does not appreciate the super "good " stuff anyway. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

plantman

Just curious, where would a person go to sell wood like that if not to local craftsmen ? Are there brokers / exporters or would I call distributors outside of the area ?

tule peak timber

I sell to anyone , one board at a time- to truck fulls. It just takes time to build a customer base. I use a broker to buy wood.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

NWP

Here's a little stick of walnut I cut on a job earlier this fall. The saw is a 460 with a 25" bar.

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!