iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap Walnut Logs ?????

Started by Jjoness4, November 11, 2017, 10:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjoness4

Got these freshly logs sawed urban walnut logs cheap (I think).  $10.00 each.  600 bd ft Doyle.  Loaded with log arch.  Had to block traffic to load.  Got the Boston ivy free.  I'll let you know how cheap they are after sawed and I check blade inventory.  These might have been in a fence row. Ouch!!
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

woodworker9

I'd take them, and saw them with a bi-metal blade.  I can't even get walnut logs here to save my life.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Larry

I used to saw walnut every day that I harvested from my farm.  To get a better idea of which logs to sell for veneer and which to saw, I tracked every log across the mill for a month.

Seeing a picture of your logs I predict your yield will be 1,000 board feet or a little better.

I never worry about bands when sawing urban walnut trees as I know I'm in black gold.  And a walnut never ever has a bad board.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

nativewolf

So those are nice straight logs! 8) heck of a deal.  Who minds a little metal in Walnut, just like Larry says.

Exporters will pay top dollars for those if they are 15" at the small end, just so you know.  Maybe $2000 on the trailer.

Just saying...just saying
Liking Walnut

Crossroads

I paid $100 for 2 pieces with crotches in them that are only about 5' long and they don't have near the dark colors that yours do. Congratulations on a good score!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OffGrid973

That is a score my friend, one urban logger to another.  Wand every cut for metal and take that bark off with a spoke shave or peal it (still warm enough) and sit on 2.5" and charge a $100 a slab as they come off the mill. Sit on it for 2 years and you hit the magic number at 10% which is $300 a slab
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Downstream

WOW!  I have not seen a score like that in a long while.  It's like seeing gold nuggets in the pan.  I was lucky to get alot of walnut early, but much harder lately.  did you have to cut down tree also or was it already on the ground?
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

OffGrid973

Solicitation is not allowed on the forum but if we have a sponsored east coast pig roast (trying to push this) and our forefathers take the trip down I can have my guys stock pile and we can have a "attendance discount" but it will be BYOT...Bring Your Own Trailer.

Sorry if this gets removed, but our Canadian neighbor northerners get to have all the fun on this forum, metro guys get left un-cooked
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

ToddsPoint

I paid $200 for 24 walnut crotches left over from a logging job.  I milled them all for gunstocks.  I've had good luck finding walnut around here.  I got more walnut at a local log dump and those were free.  Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

nativewolf

Toddspoint, that is a very very nice pile of crotch.  Again, I could sell that in log form for much more than the $200. 

Out of curiosity what did you do with that much gunstock?  We are starting to cache some smaller crotches and really special ones that just don't make sense to export. 
Liking Walnut

Jjoness4

Quote from: Downstream on November 11, 2017, 09:43:29 PM
WOW!  I have not seen a score like that in a long while.  It's like seeing gold nuggets in the pan.  I was lucky to get alot of walnut early, but much harder lately.  did you have to cut down tree also or was it already on the ground?

They were already cut and bucked out.  The tree was a double hanging right over the road and a power line.  I would not have cut the tree.

Jjoness4

Quote from: cwimer973 on November 11, 2017, 09:07:40 PM
That is a score my friend, one urban logger to another.  Wand every cut for metal and take that bark off with a spoke shave or peal it (still warm enough) and sit on 2.5" and charge a $100 a slab as they come off the mill. Sit on it for 2 years and you hit the magic number at 10% which is $300 a slab

I have not been diligent at taking the bark off but I have all my walnut logs off the ground.  I have about a 40 walnut logs of varying shapes and sizes.  How long will walnut logs last, bark on before degradation starts.  I just need to get to sawing!!!

Larry

Wood turning walnut bowls has taught me to keep the sapwood white and bright I need to process within two or three weeks of felling the tree.  After that the sapwood starts to get slightly muddy.  It was something I never really noticed when I was sawing.

I've sawn walnut logs 10 years old where the sapwood had completely rotted off.  The heartwood was still good.  Had a few more cracks in the end that I needed to work around.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Jjoness4 on November 11, 2017, 10:15:50 AM

Got these freshly logs sawed urban walnut logs cheap (I think).  $10.00 each.  600 bd ft Doyle.  Loaded with log arch.  Had to block traffic to load.  Got the Boston ivy free.  I'll let you know how cheap they are after sawed and I check blade inventory.  These might have been in a fence row. Ouch!!

Nice logs, I'd been at least a dollar a ft to buy them.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Cazzhrdwd

Here's a nice one i sawed up recently.

96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

thechknhwk

Free walnut, too big to load, had to bring the mill.  Not all of it was this nice, but there was some pretty nice stuff and I never hit nail.  Probably about 20 logs.  Not bragging, just saying :D :D Should be pushing about 2mbf all said and done.  I had to cut down and clean all the brush.  Got more pics from the last batch, but I never uploaded them.  I slabbed a bunch of it 9/4 & 8/4.

Magicman

Oh My, that is a goodun.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I'd be glad to pull my trailer over the Cascades to where walnut grows and pick up a log or two like that and bring'em back over here and sawum up! Those are purdy.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ToddsPoint

Quote from: nativewolf on November 12, 2017, 10:12:48 AM
Toddspoint, that is a very very nice pile of crotch.  Again, I could sell that in log form for much more than the $200. 

Out of curiosity what did you do with that much gunstock?  We are starting to cache some smaller crotches and really special ones that just don't make sense to export.

I'm stashing all I cut for myself.  I'll have enough for the rest of my days.  Then you can buy the rest from my widow. :D  I stocked other peoples guns for 35 yrs., now I'm retired and doing my own for a change.  Here's some drying and some I finished.  Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Jjoness4

Quote from: ToddsPoint on November 14, 2017, 04:58:14 AM

I'm stashing all I cut for myself.  I'll have enough for the rest of my days.  Then you can buy the rest from my widow. :D  I stocked other peoples guns for 35 yrs., now I'm retired and doing my own for a change.  Here's some drying and some I finished.  Gary

Wow.
Beautiful craftsmanship.

btulloh

You do some nice work.  Makes me want to send out some guns for new stocks.
HM126

nativewolf

Quote from: thechknhwk on November 12, 2017, 10:32:49 PM
Free walnut, too big to load, had to bring the mill.  Not all of it was this nice, but there was some pretty nice stuff and I never hit nail.  Probably about 20 logs.  Not bragging, just saying :D :D Should be pushing about 2mbf all said and done.  I had to cut down and clean all the brush.  Got more pics from the last batch, but I never uploaded them.  I slabbed a bunch of it 9/4 & 8/4.

Good to brag about that and thanks for sharing the pictures.
Liking Walnut

tule peak timber

Quote from: ToddsPoint on November 14, 2017, 04:58:14 AM

Great pics,,,beautiful work ! I'm curious , do you ever buy California walnuts for your stock business ? Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DPatton

Gary those stocks are absolutely beautiful. You have some serious skills and are quite a craftsman.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!