iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stressed hickory log

Started by pineywoods, November 10, 2017, 09:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I cut this 16 ft hickory log in half yesterday. Today, this is what the small end of the butt half looked like. 24 inch diameter, those cracks are an inch wide. I may just make firewood out of it, it's already split 4 ways... ;D

smiley_devil wood for sure

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Is there any other use for hickory other than tool handles.?? I cut a couple years ago it twisted cupped and cracked. I don't mess with it anymore it just keeps me warm. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Don P

That one sure looks like it should be under a pig. I've made paneling and trim from it. It should be dried under shelter, the white wood stains easily. High waste and it eats steel pretty fast but what makes it through is beautiful to my eye and harder than the hubs. It may need refinishing but I doubt they will ever even dent it. When building several clients have had hickory cabinets and flooring installed.
This is an interesting article;
http://appvoices.org/2007/02/01/2647/

Chuck White

Hickory is also used in cabinetry!

My brother put in new kitchen cabinets quite a few years ago and they're Hickory and were very expensive when compared to other woods!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PA_Walnut

Hickory also makes excellent flooring: hard, lots of character and tough. I've been sawing it off my land here and there at 5/4 and stacking it up for a cabin I intend to put of the Lookout Point next year.

Saw it before it dries out too much or bugs get into it. There's some kinda beetle that loves it (forget what it's called) that munches on it, wet or dry, until it gets whacked in the kiln!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

That log is giving you fair warning that Devils are best avoided.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Don P

When we fail to harvest and find the best and highest uses for the products of the forest in a balanced way we are practicing high grading and encouraging a reverse selection. I've encountered the same and worse stresses in locust, white oak and in ailanthus, which also produce fine and beautiful wood. There is a huge white oak and a couple of apples on deck, whoo, the losses in apple, but worth it   :)

YellowHammer

Doesn't look like anything a good coat of Anchorseal wouldn't fix! :D :D

Quote from: Chuck White on November 11, 2017, 07:13:50 AM
Hickory is also used in cabinetry!
My brother put in new kitchen cabinets quite a few years ago and they're Hickory and were very expensive when compared to other woods!
It's one of our main products.  We sell a decent amount of it, and we seem to get best yield jacket sawing and staying away from the pith.  It's one of the species that I will rotate to have the stress curve the board rather than bow so we can trim with a SLR after it's dried.  The white sapwood is bad to sticker stain, and most folks like the brown/white mix.  It's one of the few boards we sell that has knots as people seem to prefer it for rustic furniture.  It has a lot of stress in it, so the defect rate is pretty high, but when it's straight, it looks real nice.

I was at mill the other day and they were loading a semi with hickory logs and I asked the driver what they were going to do with it.  He said "drumsticks".  Holy cow, that's a lot of drumsticks!

Btw, it's pure death to planer blades.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

pineywoods

This log had a lot of butt flare. When I started sawing off the flares, the cracks opened wider. Think I will try quartering it along the cracks and quartersaw the 5/4 X 6 the customer wants. (after I whittle it down a bit) This is the last log of a load of hickory. The blade sharpener and setter have had a workout   ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Crusarius

I really want hickory floors or cabinets in my house. I have a few shagbark hickory trees that came down in storms. Still alive and off the ground. You guys aren't helping me any. :) One of the trees is about 13" dbh but a good 30-40' nice and straight.

woodworker9

That log has plenty of spring stress in it.  It would probably make excellent bow staves, which are split much in the same manner that it is already splitting in.....just a bunch more smaller sections.

It would also still be excellent for cutting up into smaller bucks for tool handles, etc.....

I've got a 12' long hickory that my neighbor just gave me that I need to whack up for similar purposes.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

moodnacreek

It's  , cross cracked, happens all the time. This is what log turners and edgers are for You just can't make wide  boards.

Ron Wenrich

I always sawed those to keep the crack on the edge.  Sawed many worse than what this one shows.  We never had a problem selling hickory in the wholesale market. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Colonel_O

I sawed three big Mockernut Hickory logs last weekend out of a tree that grew along a riverside campground.  Got this log up on the saw and realized it was just too big to maneuver
The customer was "can-do" and grabbed his chainsaw with a ripping blade and began cutting the log in half.  He got a good way through and burned the bar up; I gave him my chainsaw and it just didn't have what it takes,  then he used his Dad's big Husky and with some ripping and flipping had it sawn in half in about an hour    
We quarter sawed the three logs and wound up with about 800bdft. 

It was my first time using Turbo blades and they are nice—it's going to be hard to use anything but from now on...  The blades cut right through several bullets but even Turbos can't cut nails—I hit 2 of them before we quit that quarter.  These nails were deep inside the log—I think "The Wizard of Oz" was playing in theaters when those things were driven in.  Given the size of the logs, nature of hickory, and severe beating on my saw, I didn't charge nearly enough for the job. Will definitely stay away from campground trees :o.  Recently read the excellent posts on pricing and I really appreciate the input from all the seasoned veterans out there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35-RS. Logrite Buck Arch.   US Marine Corps (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!