iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tf and log cabin expenses

Started by Jrpitdog, November 08, 2017, 11:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrpitdog

I plan on building either a tf or log home in a few years. Nothing crazy, but a year round residence no bigger than 2000 sqft. I can get logs at a reasonable price being that I work at a large lumber mill. I have been set on a tf home but after thinking about it it seems that with all the exterior, interior and insulating that would be required on a tf home, a log stacked home of the same size and general layout would be cheaper right? I know there are a ton of variables but I am just speaking to the main construction. I am planning on millilng my own logs/timbers as well.

ChugiakTinkerer

Logs have a distinct economic advantage when they are in ample local supply.  They lose that advantage when it comes to energy efficiency.  Depending on your preferred heating method and fuel costs that might not matter.  The Alaska Housing Finance Corporation has a guide book on log home construction that might address a few of your concerns.

https://www.ahfc.us/files/5613/5716/0253/log_construction_logmanlo.pdf

We have a remote property on which we will build a nice cabin some time soon.  Our usage model is for mostly weekend occupancy in the winter months.  Heating up a structure from -20 to 60 F is a challenge, and even more so if you have a large thermal mass from logs.  So we'll opt for either stick frame or timber frame construction that is tight and well insulated.  That will heat up much quicker than a log cabin will.
Woodland Mills HM130

Jrpitdog

Interesting, I have always been told that a well built log home is efficient because of thermal mass. I will def be doing more research on this.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Jrpitdog on November 09, 2017, 01:04:55 PM
Interesting, I have always been told that a well built log home is efficient because of thermal mass. I will def be doing more research on this.

For full time occupancy that's probably true.  For weekend use it just takes too much to get that mass warmed up.

Your "well built" qualifier above is what the AHFC folks are striving for.  I offer the Log Building Construction Guide as a resource that I hope is useful.  I started out wanting a log cabin but convinced myself that the thermal mass issue would make it uncomfortable for weekend winter use.  So I haven't researched what it takes to reach an equivalent level of energy efficiency.  Hopefully it helps you on your quest.
Woodland Mills HM130

Jrpitdog

Thanks for the resource, I have already downloaded and skimmed over, looks like great info. Like my op said I actually really prefer the look of a tf home, Im just trying to get an idea on cost of each. Where Im at in Colorado it actually doesnt stay cold for that long or get silly amounts of snow.

Bosco

I have no expieriance in this but I too was looking at Timberfame or log home construction, Had a guy claim he could build my Timberframe house in a week! He has the frames all built, and orders "SIP's" and screws it togrther stronger than stick built, air tight, super insulated "no-brainer"

mike_belben

Consider a square timber frame with "cordwood" walls.  Cordwood cabin is what people call em.  If you arent sold on or arent capable of log construction, but dont have the funds for plywood, insulation, siding etc. 

A cheap supply of pine is a must.  Cant use hardwood for the walls, too much expansion.
Praise The Lord

Jrpitdog

Quote from: mike_belben on November 26, 2017, 08:39:08 PM
Consider a square timber frame with "cordwood" walls.  Cordwood cabin is what people call em.  If you arent sold on or arent capable of log construction, but dont have the funds for plywood, insulation, siding etc. 

A cheap supply of pine is a must.  Cant use hardwood for the walls, too much expansion.

That might be my ticket! I literally can get as much spruce, fir and pine cordwood as i want FREE. Any info on r values?

Thank You Sponsors!