iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on sawmill design

Started by Jrpitdog, November 08, 2017, 10:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I like it. I may have to integrate that on mine. But I think I have the spacing pretty good to make it so I won't need it.

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Jrpitdog on November 09, 2017, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: Magicman on November 09, 2017, 08:49:06 AM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum Jrpitdog.  I am a sawmill user not a sawmill builder, but following your progress will be interesting.

I have often visited Montrose and have a fascination for the Uncompahgre having hunted 61 once and 62 many times.  Grand Mesa is also a favorite spot.

Thanks,  my family and I love the western slope. I usually hunt 65, otc archery for me 😁

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Jrpitdog. I'm envious of you living in Montrose. I grew up in Grand Jct and I got married in Gunnison Co up the Alpine Plateau Road at my parents place at Arrowhead Ranch. I hunted  fudd-smiley in 66 and some on Grand Mesa but not for quite a while now. I have a sister that still lives in Jct and someday I'd like to come back to the Western Slope when I retire.

Brent

Ljohnsaw

Make it high enough.  Mine is about mid-thigh height.  If I have to turn a BIG log (manually), I hop up on the rail or even the bunk. 

I have moveable bunks designed after theCfarm's:

Sorry for the blurry pictures.  The 2x3 rail is supported by cutoffs of the material I used (IIRC 5# structural steel channel).  I had to grind off a little on the bottom of the channel on the bunks so they could slide in.  I use a 1/2" bolt to lock them in place.  The uprights are 3# structural along with a 2-½" square tube to hold the log stops.

The T handle is a bolt to lock the log stop at the desired height.  The horizontal 2" tube has a slider for the log clamps.  The 2x3 angle is the actual log bunk.  The space between was supposed to have a jack to lift a toe roller - never got around to making them.

What I would do different (and will make them this winter) is better log clamps.  I have a not so good cam-like system that tends to move and lift the log a little.  I'm going to make the simple push down cam lock that someone posted on here - just have to find it again for the name credit.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!