The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: skidder fires !!!!!!!!!???  (Read 1028 times)

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
Re: skidder fires !!!!!!!!!???
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 07:13:04 am »
With how much oil my dozer leaks im betting theres gonna be 300lbs of flamable clay shmeg under there when i finally pull the pan.  Not very eager about that.

I know that's going to be a chore but on one of these wet winter days maybe that should get moved up the priority list.  What a list of accidents here.  Learning (or reinforcing) a lot, belly pans, fire extinguishers, brakes.  Thanks to everyone for sharing; my new (to me) tractor finally finished the overhaul and is being delivered to the site with my FAE SSH200.  Cant wait to wrap up armoring it and getting to work. 

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 09:13:26 am »
Yeah, its actually all apart now getting some repairs

Just a thought here.  A co2 tank with a hand valve and a long hose to an air gun and soft copper extension tube might be a pretty potent tool for getting the start of a floor board fire under control.   

Ive not ever tried putting outna fire with it but they are used pretty often as suppression systems on offroad trucks and CNC machines.. Flood with Co2 to displace oxygen.   Id think if you could blast the top surface layer of burning junk out of that nook its burning in, maybe youve got a chance the entire belly pan full doesnt catch.

Ive always had a 20 lb co2 tank for tire filling on my road truck.  You get a LOT of gas for $17 and it never leaks out like a fire extinguisher.

At the junkyard fires were an everyday thing.  Used water tanks with an air charge on top of them.  Never let you down

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 09:16:24 am »
Wasn't your boss in a bit of financial trouble? That seems to cause nearly as many fires as debris and poorly routed lines😁😁

But they after that he got a newer forwarder and a newer processor, so I doubt he burned it up.....

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:16 am »
Just a ribbin'😁😉
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »
Funny coincidence i got this in an email today. huge defective extinguisher recall, many brands, free replacement.

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/recall-2-5-million-fire-extinguishers-sold-cmvs/