iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What forwarder? Simple and reliable

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 08, 2017, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Well I'm going with a forwarder for sure and looking towards the 230 timberjacks. I like that fact it is "newer" yet still manual trans lever controls and cummins engine. And serco loader. I have a serco dealer close by. Most parts should be able to be local also. And I don't have to be a white lab coat tech with a volt meter to fix it. Any opinions? 

bushmechanic

Good choice and you hit the nail on the head with reliable and simple! Just travel straight up and down hills and you will have no problems. Oh and stay away from the flotation tires, waste of money, very expensive.

snowstorm

646 valmet. Why would anyone want a manual trans. Cummins motor Clark power shift.deere front axle. A.c. a must have and mine has 2 heaters. Not that it needs 2. Parts have never been an issue not that I have needed many

Firewoodjoe

Power shift scares me. I can't fix it and I'm sure it's not cheap. I'm not buying new with a warranty so the last thing I want is a big break down right off the bat. How many hours can go on that power shift?

mike_belben

We had a pretty decent old lull many years ago.  And probably still would if the powershift trans didnt go kaput with nobody who knew how they worked, no ability to find manuals pre-internet.   Sold it at a pretty big loss after looking at it for years.  I hope that never happens to my nassco forklifts trans cuz thats another ancient unit with no tags left and no one alive who ever touched one.

So id go 6bt and manual trans all day.
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Manual transmission in a forwarder is the biggest pita ever expecially if your picking up hand cut wood.  You will be moving and inching the machine along and a manual transmission will make your leg fall off...

U.P mich

timberjack scares me now bc johndeere was contracted to build parts for timberjacks for 10 years after they purchased the company . That 10 years were up 5 years ago   I sold my 1210 b  bc parts were getting waaay to expensive.  I had 3 fabteks tough machines  but lots of electrical problems. My favorite forwarder I ever had was a 97 670 Franklin.  Almost bullet proof. All parts could be purchased at the local parts store. But a very very heavy machine in comparison.  Power shifts are really trouble free in my experience other than a bad coil or stuck pressure relief valve now and than.  Which ever you decide I would at least consider getting a machine with joystick controls instead of levers for production sake. Just my opinion.

BargeMonkey

I bought my 230 Jack forwarder for the same reason, yeah it's kind of bulletproof but like these other guys said there are better options out there. That serco loader is very limited on reach, you've got to literally be alongside longer stuff or your constantly reaching, not horrible on hoses but that tower is a pain. Mines a long bunk, forget turning it around in a small spot, 23.1 tires are the minimum, 28L would be even better. There was one for sale out this way for 12-14k last yr, they are around.

Firewoodjoe

Well u guys make it harder. If parts are getting expensive or hard to get then I may as well buy a old Franklin. There's a few roof mounts around here. The most exspenise is 20,000. The 230s are 40-50 and everything with a double bunk or squirt boom is 60+. I need to make this work but one of my goals is low over head. And I don't have a mound of cash. Besides I don't see where I can have a 1500-2500 payment and hand cut. I prolly could but it would be a lot nicer to start out lower then 1000 or better yet "0".

Firewoodjoe

I guess I'm not to worried about having a squirt boom. I will have a buncher at some point. Even if I rent one for a week to cut all the small stuff. It doubles your production. I like the idea of the roof mount. I know of one here that people look and walk away because it's 12'6" on the ground. But that don't bother me to much. The mill I'm considering cutting for has a low bed front detach and they will haul it anyways. I see on the web there's a lot of old style deeres with the over the cab mount.

Firewoodjoe

This is to far away and 15,000. That would be nice to spend if the machine turned out good. https://youtu.be/fyl2yxwMD10

Firewoodjoe

Corley5

I've got one just like it except mine has 18.4s, a 3-53 and isn't as dry.  Good old machines.  I've been told planetary parts are getting hard to come by?  I haven't looked.  Hope I don't need to.  Fifteen grand sounds pretty fair.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Puffergas

Looks like the planetaries on my Stieger. I hope they are not hard to come by!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Firewoodjoe

Well I talk to him today. He also has a Franklin feller buncher looks like a105 and a bar saw head to go with it. He said I could have all of it for 24,000. Seems good. He also said the turn table has been replaced. I was told they don't make those bearings and gears anymore.

ehp

Joe, look on Kijiji Ontario, there is a couple forwarders on there and in Canadian dollars so a lot less money .

ehp

I got a 610 tj and so far its been good , am thinking I should get another smaller set of tires for it , those big swamp tires sure makes it wide

Corley5

I put a continuous rotator and modern by pass bucket on mine too.  Makes a big difference ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

I have looked over the border In the past. But how does that work for shipping back? And yes if want a bypass and I have a rotator and a near new valve bank off a burnt stumping machine :) I save everything.

nativewolf

Just wait til the lakes freeze good in the winter and drive across :D
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

Lol that would work! I actually didn't see much. One TJ.

Thank You Sponsors!