iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rabbet plane for joinery...Tool review?

Started by S.Hyland, November 11, 2017, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.Hyland

Hello All,
    I already have an original Stanley No. 10 which I use all the time. I'm toying with the idea of getting one of the Lie Nielsen or Veritas rabbets as well. Lie Nielsen has a nice looking No. 10 1/4 patterned off the Stanley. They also have a bevel up rabbet, the 610. Veritas also has a bevel up rabbet somewhat similar to the 610.
    Considering it would be primarily used for timber frame work, does anyone have a preference between them and why?

I suppose if all else fails I'll just buy one of each, right? ;D ::)
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Andries

Bevel up Jack Rabbet plane from Veritas:

Much longer than the lie-Nielsen planes, but . . .
Its got the weight to take off knots and strange grain.
The rear tote can be angled away from the face of a tenon shoulder - saves the knuckles!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

terrifictimbersllc

I have the Lie-Nielsen 10 1/4.  Its knob and handle tilt to either side to help keep your hands clear.  Also has little nickers I think they're called to score in the corners.  Always a  pleasure to use in big corners.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

S.Hyland

Thanks for the replys. The one issue that I have with my old No. 10 is that shavings tend to jam in the cut-aways of the body. I would assume that with it's more open, chipbreakerless design that it would be a non issue on the bevel up planes.

Terrifictimbersllc, do you have that issue with your Lie Nielsen 10 1/4?

The tilting totes in either case would be great improvement. My knuckles are getting a bit of a beating on the Red Oak frame I'm working on.
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

terrifictimbersllc

No, never noticed that, the way it's set up there's a decent size opening.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!