iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Horsepower

Started by firefighter ontheside, November 08, 2017, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

No ports at the back of the 245.  I will tell you that I was using my buddy's skid steer today and got too close to the edge of a pond and one wheel went over the edge and wouldn't come back.  My dad hooked on to me with a chain from the 245 and helped me get out.  It was a bit scary.  I don't think skid steers float very well.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

North River Energy

JBG,
Reasonably sure it's an H.

TKehl

This should be at my place in the next few days.

Pretty excited!!!   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

firefighter ontheside

The steering wheel looks like it's on the wrong end. 
What is it?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I'm gonna go look at this Ford 545 this week and maybe buy it.  It will certainly lift any log I'm gonna put on my mill.  It has a huge bucket, probably bigger than I'd like.  Maybe I can get forks and also have a way to hang tongs from it and remove the bucket.  It has 1600 hours on it.  2WD and no PTO, but does have 3 point hitch.  What do you guys think?

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TKehl

Quote from: firefighterontheside on November 14, 2017, 02:52:20 PM
What is it?

A pic from the other end would have helped.   :)  It's a forklift based on an industrial tractor that is based on a regular Allis Chalmers tractor.  Supposed to have 5k Lb lift capacity. 

Yes EVERYTHING is backwards, but not everything was moved.  Pretty weird looking between my legs to check the gauges under the seat.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

Firefighter,

I don't think that I could live without 4-wheel drive  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

I just watched a pretty big new holland thats used for logging snap a pretty expensive spindle inside the planetary, further reinforcing my belief that loaders and steer knuckles dont mix.
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: firefighterontheside on November 14, 2017, 02:52:20 PM
What is it?
off road forklift
"let the machines do the work"

firefighter ontheside

I would prefer 4wd, but it came down to money.  To buy a loader that was 4wd and strong enough to lift a big log was gonna be at least 12,000.  So, I will plan to use this for a while and hopefully make enough money from the mill in a few years to buy something else.  Also, I'm keeping my 4wd l245.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: mike_belben on November 14, 2017, 09:31:42 PM
I just watched a pretty big new holland thats used for logging snap a pretty expensive spindle inside the planetary, further reinforcing my belief that loaders and steer knuckles dont mix.

I've put thousands of hours on multiple loader tractors handling lots of heavy loads (tons of hay, logs, pallets, etc) on some rough ground and have yet to have any front axle problems. Also the mill I used to buy for had a couple of high hour (20k+) Pettibone loaders (with steering axles front and back) and other than replacing worn king pins ever few thousand hours we never had any issues and they were used and abused often lifting loads that lifted the back tires up and driving on just the front axle.

Some people can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet though...

mike_belben

He may be one of them, not sure.  I do know that tractor wont be contributing to its $550/month payment for a while. 

Sometimes success is less about scoring big wins and more about avoiding big fails.  Your mileage may vary.   
Praise The Lord

North River Energy

Quote from: firefighterontheside on November 14, 2017, 05:18:06 PM
I'm gonna go look at this Ford 545 this week and maybe buy it.  It will certainly lift any log I'm gonna put on my mill.  It has a huge bucket, probably bigger than I'd like.  Maybe I can get forks and also have a way to hang tongs from it and remove the bucket.  It has 1600 hours on it.  2WD and no PTO, but does have 3 point hitch.  What do you guys think?

Looks like a possible. May not be an issue for your limited use and youthful exuberance, but will the stickshift be a liability of an asset?

firefighter ontheside

I've never used anything but a stick shift tractor, so I'm not sure what benefit anything else might be to me.  As long as the clutch is ok and shifts fine, I'll be fine with it.  As far as my youth goes, I'm 43.  Not as youthful as I used to be, but I can still get around.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Andries

You're looking in the right direction, but I think you can do better.
That 545A has wheel weights on the rears, but doesn't have the strong FEL.
You can recognise those by the double linkage at the bucket attachment.
Hold out for a early or mid 1990's model with pto,  3 point and 5000 lb loader.
Make you happy.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on November 14, 2017, 08:01:36 PM
Firefighter,

I don't think that I could live without 4-wheel drive  :).

2WD tractors are problematic with front end loaders.  The heavier the load being picked up in the front, the lighter the rear end gets and the tires can actually come off the ground so less traction and applied pushing force for moving dirt, gravel, stumps, etc.  I had an old 2WD tractor that when I picked up a heavy load, would get stuck because the rear end would basically come off the ground and spin with no traction.

With a 4wd, the more weight in the bucket or the more force lifting up (big logs), the more the front drive tires will get pushed into the ground, and the more front wheel drive traction and drive force generated.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

X2 on Yellowhammer and WDH comments.
Time for a little patience and end up with the right machine.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

TKehl

No PTO would be the biggest knock for me.

4x4 would be good, but an implement or weight box on the 3 point can help put more weight on the back tires as long as the power steering is good.

G-man calculated back on post #11 that the size log to pick up would be about 2300Lbs.  Any input on if this tractor would pick that? 

Of course, if it were me, tomorrow I'd want to push that just a bit further.   ;)

firefighter ontheside

According to tractor data, the lighter loader can pick up 3500 at the pin.  Heavier one is 4500.  Also, I've decided to only spend up to 5000 right now, so I don't see finding something much better than this to lift a big log and have 4wd.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

Dont ever plan to back up hill with a 2wd and heavy front load.  And never buy a tractor without dif lock
Praise The Lord

Andries

The 545A is rated for 3500 lbs on the front end loader.
It doesn't have a pto.
It's two wheel drive.

It might be a nice loader, but it might not be the right loader.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

firefighter ontheside

I hope to get it for 4000, but may have to spend 4500.  Mainly I need to know if that's a good price for what it is.  I'm not afraid to buy it and sell it later if it doesn't work out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

If it will do what you need done as soon as you drive it off the trailer, yes it is a fine price.  Get machine, get back to making money and learn its weaknesses over time while you keep your eyes open for a better replacement.  Pay attention to what changes may come in your operation that may dictate a different need while youre running it. 

Sell when its always parked.
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

That's what I'll do when I look at it is determine if it will do exactly what I need it to do right away.  It's a few hours drive to look, but I will pass on it if I'm not satisfied.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

North River Energy

Agree with Andries on the lack of PTO. That will likely affect your ease of resale. Also, consider you could be running another piece of support equipment off that tractor without affecting  your ability to use it as a loader. (small slab chipper, etc)

If you're simply moving one log from the pile to the mill, then the transmission type doesn't really matter. If you might be doing any repetitive loading, like piling snow or mulch, rowing for gears will get old, and you'll wish you had a reverser or some such. And as you get a little older, your relation to the clutch pedal might become an issue.

According to fuzzy memory, I think the long block for that tractor will bring about 4k.

Maybe figure in the cost of a quick-tach plate, and a real set of forks.

In the end, you have to consider if that tractor in present trim will improve the quality of your life experience by more than the purchase price.
If not, keep looking.

Thank You Sponsors!