iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge-Building

Started by jrb34, January 03, 2005, 03:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Jeff,

Yes,it would be thereabouts but the stringers are fairly small diameter Douglas Fir so they'll have to keep an eye on it.

ScottAR,

It's funny,I couldn't tell you for sure what size it is.Pretty sure it's a 350 but it has the highwalker,elevated cab and the T-mar guarding package. The Hitachi in the background is a older 400 but the Kobelco could eat it for breakfast

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

jon12345,

Do you have anymore pictures of the bridge?

jon12345

Yeah I can get more pics as soon as I get the disk, will be a couple days.  This was designed to be portable, and pretty simple but I think it could still be improved.

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Warren

JRB,

Another option. You might look for someone doing building demolitions.  I bought four I-beams, 5" x 15" by 32 ft for $125 each locally from a guy razing a large warehouse.  Would be fairly easy to bolt 4x6's to the top and nail down decking.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Norm

Great pictures Paul, thank you!

It looks like hard dangerous work, what was the reason for installing the bridge?

Phorester

Ta git to da utter side!!!!   (Sorry Norm, just couldn't resist.)  ;D

Rick Alger

My son made a few skidder bridges like you're talking about from hemlock.

He felt he  spent too much time milling the pieces and then  drilling and bolting them together to make it cost-effective compared to an old flat bed or a pole bridge like Swamp Donkey posted.

You can plank over a pole bridge fairly easily if you need a smooth surface.

Paul_H

Quote from: Norm on February 24, 2007, 08:46:22 AM
what was the reason for installing the bridge?

Norm,

The bridge is part of a 4 kilometre(2.5 miles) logging road to access timber left behind in the 1950-60's. The smaller stringer logs on the bridge are second growth but the timber in the creek draw itself was never logged.

I liked Phorester's answer too :D

Norm

Boy ask a simple question..... :D

jim king

Come on guys you are getting to fussy.  We have moved out well over 100,000 bf over several of these from a parcel a few miles in.  This also has the side benifit of keeping you in shape carrying the cants on your back.

Greenedive

Hey Jim,
What do you figure an average green cant weighs and about how far do they have to carry them?

thecfarm

Paul,is this a big logging job?Do you have to remove the bridge when the job is done?What kind of wood is to be cut?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Paul_H

thecfarm,

Yes,there is around 20,000 cubic meters of timber to come out of this road system this year but the road will access more timber in the long term.We have reached the first block and there are 6 fallers working on falling the setting and road right of way.

The bridge will stay.

Jeff

Is this Crown Land  that is being logged? You mentioned property owner, is the bridge on the same property as being logged or just the access to? Why am I using do many question marks?  ??? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

It is Crown land but the area is part of the In-SHUCK-ch Nation treaty processThe logging company I'm working for right now is working in a partnership with the In-SHUCK-ch.The Private property below us with the powerhouse is the St Agnes Well hot springs but I had just read in the newspaper that the In-SHUCK-ch had bought the hot spring property.

The whole area down there is fantastic.

Link

Hot Springs

jim king

Greenedive:  The average cant would be about 160 pounds in good quality wood and  could go as high as 220 and we will carry up to five miles.

Greenedive

That's pretty impressive....so much for the weak, malnourished, disease-ridden, third world working man theory, huh? :D
Do you have some kind of sling or backpack...or do you just heist them over your shoulder and go....

Don't imagine there is much of a breeze to cool you off there in the jungle either, huh? :(

Paul_H

The job I'm on right now is 15 minutes from my house which is a nice break from the usual one hour+ travel time.
This job is for the BC Forest Service under BC Timber Sales(BCTS) and they are opening up an old mainline and installing 4 box culverts and one river span.

Any wild guesses on the name of the river?  :)

These box culverts are small portable bridges made from the two bulkheads left over from the old railcars when they are stripped down to make railcar bridges, which are still popular in our area.
The portable bridges are made up of two bulkheads resting on 10x10 douglas Fir timbers which lay on four concrete lock blocks and then filter cloth is layed over top to keep sand and silt out of the stream.

This structure is within the Green River Riparian management zone and although this little creek is just a trickle,we've had to take a lot of care.The blocks were sat in place and pushed down with little disturbance.
Can you see the water? ;)

And finally,the back filling begins on the approaches,

Tomorrow we'll pack in the next portables and begin work on the next stream which is 150' further up the road.

Onthesauk

I was trying to figure out how you were going to install box culverts in that first river.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

pigman

Quote from: Paul_H on July 26, 2007, 08:12:27 PM
Any wild guesses on the name of the river?  :)

That sure looks like the Lillooet river to me. That is just a very wild guess.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!